1st gear Clunk! : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
BackOn2Wheels
Squid

Motorcycle: 04 1k Mladin Rep
1st gear Clunk!

I have been getting really hard shifts into first from neutral when first starting my bike and sometimes at stoplights. It doesnt happen in any other gear...just 1st.

It has been so bad that I have been starting her in 1st to avoid the hard shifts! This works ok but is a pain to wait for the bike to warm up whil holding the clutch in.

As far as I know the clutch is stock and there is only 6500miles on the bike. I bought the bike a year ago (haven't ridden it much since) and this issues is gradually getting worse. Bike is an 04 1k.

My clutch is a pretty hard pull so I took it to the local Suzuk shop and one of the techs adjusted the clutch and lubed the cable. This did not help so much.

Any thoughts?
BackOn2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Land-Shark
Rookie

Motorcycle: 07 1k track,09 R6 track, Wifes 07-600 track
Re: 1st gear Clunk!

What is the idle? Also are you bliping the throttle before you shift out of neutral. If so the trans shafts are still spinning and that is causing the clunk.
Land-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
Carnage
Full of teh Swag

Motorcycle: ALL SOLD:Racebike included

Yeah...make sure your idle is not too high and change your oil. A little "clunk" going do into first from neutral is perfectly normal though.
Carnage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
BackOn2Wheels
Squid

Idle was seriously low @ ~800rpm so I bumped it up to just over 1100. It was stalling at hard stops and this stopped it.

As for any throttle when starting it....no...and this also happens at stoplights sometimes.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
BackOn2Wheels
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Yeah...make sure your idle is not too high and change your oil. A little "clunk" going do into first from neutral is perfectly normal though.
The clunk is seriously rough at times! Not the normal clunk I've experienced with my bikes over the years.

One other thing I noticed is that sometimes when I start up in first gear now the bike has an extremely slight movement forward like it was thinking of getting up and going...even though I have the clutch pulled to the bars.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Carnage
Full of teh Swag

Motorcycle: ALL SOLD:Racebike included

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOn2Wheels View Post
The clunk is seriously rough at times! Not the normal clunk I've experienced with my bikes over the years.

One other thing I noticed is that sometimes when I start up in first gear now the bike has an extremely slight movement forward like it was thinking of getting up and going...even though I have the clutch pulled to the bars.
That means your clutch is never completely disengaged which of course would explain that abnormal clunk. It most likely just needs to be adjusted. I can't remember if that 04 1k had a cable actuated clutch or a hydro cluth. I'm pretty sure it's a cable one and you'll just need to adjust it until the bike no longer creeps forward while in gear.
Carnage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
Land-Shark
Rookie

Motorcycle: 07 1k track,09 R6 track, Wifes 07-600 track

Well it is an 04 so hows the clutch adjustment? Perhaps you can tighten it up some.
Land-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
BackOn2Wheels
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
That means your clutch is never completely disengaged which of course would explain that abnormal clunk. It most likely just needs to be adjusted. I can't remember if that 04 1k had a cable actuated clutch or a hydro cluth. I'm pretty sure it's a cable one and you'll just need to adjust it until the bike no longer creeps forward while in gear.
Ive adjusted it at the Pazzo lever and so did the Suzuki tech at the shop that also adjusted it. Didnt help any. I dont know if there is any other adjustment that can be made. There is absolutely no slack in the clutch lever...it is adjusted all the way out so it will surely engage the clutch all the way (or so I would think)

The bike doesnt always try to creep forward when put in first gear....seems like it only when I first start the bike when its cold.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
Palomartian
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 05 KLX 110

Just hold the clutch in for a second or two before you shift into first. This will let the tranny spin down and it should drop right in. There is a window you need to find. Too short and clunk, too long and it won't go into gear if the shafts are completely stopped. If hold the clutch in for a long time (more than 10 seconds) does not stop the clunk then yes, you have issues with it fully disengaging. If the clutch adjustment is even close, it's likely something else. Try a different oil, take the fibers out and clean them with Berrymans, live with it...
Palomartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
IndiGIXXER
Turd Burgler or Twat Waffle...your call.

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 600

Quote:
Ive adjusted it at the Pazzo lever and so did the Suzuki tech at the shop that also adjusted it. Didnt help any. I dont know if there is any other adjustment that can be made. There is absolutely no slack in the clutch lever...it is adjusted all the way out so it will surely engage the clutch all the way (or so I would think)

The bike doesnt always try to creep forward when put in first gear....seems like it only when I first start the bike when its cold.
Your Suzuki technician sucks! Go somewhere else!!!!!! He should be able to properly adjust the clutch or tell you if you have a problem with it.

Bike pulling in neutral is definitely a clutch related problem. Fix it soon or you're gonna burn your clutch plates (way more expansive fix than adjusting a clutch).
IndiGIXXER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
oldfart01
GdC Camp Counselor

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae, ...XR650R .K7-1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiGIXXER View Post
Your Suzuki technician sucks! Go somewhere else!!!!!! He should be able to properly adjust the clutch or tell you if you have a problem with it.

Bike pulling in neutral is definitely a clutch related problem. Fix it soon or you're gonna burn your clutch plates (way more expansive fix than adjusting a clutch).
I was thinking the same thing, I'm picturing some tech standing there scratching his nuts with a confused look on his face. He's a tech & it's a clutch for christ sake. What would he do next, burn some f**cking incense & chant!
oldfart01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
Dread
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2006 SV650S 50,000+ Miles (Now a track bike), 2006 GSXR-750 Street

Your clutch is dragging for sure...due to either improper adjustment, or your plates are already warped.
Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #13
loco
Rookie

Motorcycle: K6 1000, 97 Fantic Section 250 Trials, 84 Yamaha Seca 400

I always pump the clutch once, then again and into first, habit I've been doing for years, but I never get a big clunk, I also don't skip gears, with blips on downshifts and my tranny is like butter. Shnick, schnick.

Last edited by loco; 04-18-2008 at 08:02 PM.
loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
slack0Yd
Supersport Racer

Motorcycle: 1000k5

I say its normal. My YZF600R did it too.
slack0Yd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:52 PM   #15
loco
Rookie

Motorcycle: K6 1000, 97 Fantic Section 250 Trials, 84 Yamaha Seca 400

Quote:
I have been getting really hard shifts into first from neutral when first starting my bike and sometimes at stoplights. It doesnt happen in any other gear...just 1st.

It has been so bad that I have been starting her in 1st to avoid the hard shifts! This works ok but is a pain to wait for the bike to warm up whil holding the clutch in.

As far as I know the clutch is stock and there is only 6500miles on the bike. I bought the bike a year ago (haven't ridden it much since) and this issues is gradually getting worse. Bike is an 04 1k.

My clutch is a pretty hard pull so I took it to the local Suzuk shop and one of the techs adjusted the clutch and lubed the cable. This did not help so much.

Any thoughts?
A video would help, it's hard to know how big of clunk you're talking about.
It's always going to make a clunk, but it should be more of a click/shnick, get me?
Friend had a Honda CBR 1000 Repsol and it made a viscious kinda clack noise, sounded fucking awsome actually, like he was engaging for flight. Sometimes mine won't make any noise, it's wierd, smooth as a babies ass.
Post a vid if you're really concerned.
loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #16
Geesxara
Rookie

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000

A new clutch kit doesnt sound like a bad idea(not too costly) and also check for notches in the basket & clutch hub where the plates make contact.
Geesxara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #17
BackOn2Wheels
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
I always pump the clutch once, then again and into first, habit I've been doing for years, but I never get a big clunk, I also don't skip gears, with blips on downshifts and my tranny is like butter. Shnick, schnick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomartian View Post
Just hold the clutch in for a second or two before you shift into first. This will let the tranny spin down and it should drop right in. There is a window you need to find. Too short and clunk, too long and it won't go into gear if the shafts are completely stopped. If hold the clutch in for a long time (more than 10 seconds) does not stop the clunk then yes, you have issues with it fully disengaging. If the clutch adjustment is even close, it's likely something else. Try a different oil, take the fibers out and clean them with Berrymans, live with it...
Good tips...I will definately try these this weekend and see if I can narrow it down a bit more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
A video would help, it's hard to know how big of clunk you're talking about.
It's always going to make a clunk, but it should be more of a click/shnick, get me?
Friend had a Honda CBR 1000 Repsol and it made a viscious kinda clack noise, sounded fucking awsome actually, like he was engaging for flight. Sometimes mine won't make any noise, it's wierd, smooth as a babies ass.
Post a vid if you're really concerned.
I just may do this if I cant nail it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geesxara View Post
A new clutch kit doesnt sound like a bad idea(not too costly) and also check for notches in the basket & clutch hub where the plates make contact.
There is only 6500 miles on the bike. Do you really think the clutch is bad this soon?
Old 04-20-2008, 01:39 AM   #18
Geesxara
Rookie

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000

Ive had to replace entire clutch fibres & metals in less than 10K miles on more than one GSXR that has come in the shop. It just depends on the rider I presume. If you were the first owner it might be a different reply. Heaven knows what that bike might have seen before you bought it. Why was that bike sold with such low miles? Are you 100% sure those are the original guages?
Many thoughts come to mind. It could also just be a a small problem causing the whole thing, just threw that out there, since it seems to be an on-going situation thats all

Last edited by Geesxara; 04-20-2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: after thought
Geesxara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:48 AM   #19
DrGixxer1000
Squid

Motorcycle: 2004 GSXR 1000

I have a 04 1K and I get a clunk when the bike is cold, and it is in first gear only, but that is it. I have also had a 03 1K and it did the same thing. The main problem I am seeing here is that you say your clutch has no slack in it at all. There should be a little slack in the lever when you are not using the lever. This makes sure the clutch is fully engaged. If you have no slack at all, you are riding around with the clutch just partially engaged... which will only get worse the longer you do it. Not to mention, the bike should never keep pulling forward in any gear with the clutch pulled in. If this is happening, it may be to late or the clutch is not disengaging all the way.

The tolerance is like 10-20mm of play at the end(outside) of the lever. Make sure this is right before you start ripping apart your bike and installing new clutches.
DrGixxer1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:09 AM   #20
vaffanculo403
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 2K1 Seven Fiddy

Well it may pull forward a little when in first and the clutch is pulled in when it's cold and the oil is still thick. Depending on the oil it may be just thick enough to get friction and pull the bike forward a bit.

I say change the oil before you do too much else. I had a problem when I first for my 750. 1/2 the time I had to stomp on it to get it into gear and it made this wicked bang/clunk (sounded horrible) and sometimes I couldn't down shift into first when coming to a stop light. I changed the oil and used Shell Rotella-T full synthetic and WOW what a difference. The clunk was almost gone (just the normal clunk now), shifted like new or better, and the motor ran smoother and quieter! I'd try the oil change before I went spending 100's of dollars on getting a new clutch put in...
vaffanculo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement