how to change headlight bulbs? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 04-05 GSX-R600/750

Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
gfilla
Rookie

Motorcycle: 04 750 & 03 600
how to change headlight bulbs?

guys, i'm a complete retard mechanically so please bare with me.....

i'm looking to swap out the bulbs in my 04 750, can anyone give me simple instructions on how to do this? i'm lookin in the service manual, it only has a single picture which looks like a microphice printout.... i also tried searching but no luck...

do i have to remove the whole tach, or what??

thanks
gfilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Steve@OrientExpress
Official Sponsor

Motorcycle: 2001 GSXR 1000; 2003 SV650; 2001 ZRX 1200
Re: how to change headlight bulbs?

The 04-05 6/750 is pretty easy, you can usually do it by turning the steering all the way to one side to gain access to the back of the head light assembly. Then carefully remove the black plug on the back of each bulb. Then remove the big rubber donut / dust cover. Then there is a spring retainer that holds the bulb into the housing. Usually there is a push tab at 4pm or so or 8pm. Push it and release the bulb. Remove the bulb and don't touch the glass if you plan on reusing the bulb. Then install is the reverse...

If you have big paws like me, you might need to remove the upper fairing assembly all together, and then you will have plenty of access... Just make sure to plug in the lights and test before you put it all back together again LOL.
Steve@OrientExpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
redlight_005
Rookie

Get your red "R"!
redlight_005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
gsxr600k5red
Rookie

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfilla View Post
guys, i'm a complete retard mechanically so please bare with me.....

i'm looking to swap out the bulbs in my 04 750, can anyone give me simple instructions on how to do this? i'm lookin in the service manual, it only has a single picture which looks like a microphice printout.... i also tried searching but no luck...

do i have to remove the whole tach, or what??

thanks
I'm pretty sure your instrument cluster is like mine. You'll find it much easier to take the two allen screws out that hold the guages down and remove the gauges. Once you remove the screws the guages will pivot on a piece of plastic. It's just pressed onto that pivot point so just gently pull it off. You'll have a whole lot more room.

I have little hands and it was still a bitch trying to get to them without removing the guages.
gsxr600k5red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
BakerR600
Rookie

take the screws out of the instrument cluster and fold it up. makes it a lot easier.

and when you mount the bulbs, make sure you mount them the right way or youll loose your high beam like I did when I swapped out my to phillips.
BakerR600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Shane750
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSX-R750 K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr600k5red View Post
I'm pretty sure your instrument cluster is like mine. You'll find it much easier to take the two allen screws out that hold the guages down and remove the gauges. Once you remove the screws the guages will pivot on a piece of plastic. It's just pressed onto that pivot point so just gently pull it off. You'll have a whole lot more room.

I have little hands and it was still a bitch trying to get to them without removing the guages.
Those screws wouldnt budge for me - bent a hex key trying too. Ive got big hands so i pulled the whole front of the bike apart - was a good excuse to get more intimate with my bike
Shane750 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
gfilla
Rookie

ugh, can someone please help me here... I've spent an hour or two on this and am going crazy. I got the top headlight changed with no problem, but the bottom is being a huge cunt

the black extender plug thing, the thing that has a female end for the bulb and 2 male prongs for the harness.... is the clip thing suppose to be OVER this?e.g. i plug this into the bulb, then put it in the bike, THEN try to put the clip on? or do i put only tyhe bulb in the bike, clip it on, then plug in the extender?? can anyone maybe draw a pic of how this pic is suppose to sit?? the manual sucks

I can't get the fuckin bulb to be snugly tight in there, it's all loose as hell

also I (thought) had it on tight before without the extender thing but now i'm not sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGSXR View Post
Not to make light of the accident or the guy who lost his life, but lol at "ninja style motorcycles."
Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
n20zuki
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 04 gsxr 750

i make it real easy on myself and take the whole upper fairing off to get to the headlight assembly. but if ur mechanically retarded i wouldnt take it off
n20zuki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
Shane750
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSX-R750 K5

pull the headlight out - takes longer but is definately less frustrating.
Shane750 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
04GSX~R
Squid

Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Hey does anyone know how those new halo lights and how the work do they glow in the dark?
04GSX~R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #11
gfilla
Rookie

ok well i wound up bending the fucking clip to get it in place... wow, what a fucking whore that thing was... i've recently replaced the brake lines, pads, grips,mirrors,bar ends, air filter, slip-on... and none of this compared to the fucking light bulb.... fucking japs and their small ass hands
Old 09-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #12
gsxr600k5red
Rookie

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfilla View Post
ok well i wound up bending the fucking clip to get it in place... wow, what a fucking whore that thing was... i've recently replaced the brake lines, pads, grips,mirrors,bar ends, air filter, slip-on... and none of this compared to the fucking light bulb.... fucking japs and their small ass hands
And you know what they say about small hands........small gloves.
gsxr600k5red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in