damn plastic push pin things : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 04-05 GSX-R600/750

Old 08-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
gfilla
Rookie

Motorcycle: 04 750 & 03 600
damn plastic push pin things

what is the trick to taking off these black plastic push pin things??? i'm trying to take off the right fairing to change the oil and i keep running into these little bastards, it takes a while of trying to pry and squeeze it with a screwdriver and plyers, but is there some trick i'm missing here??? I'm about to just put a bolt and a washer/nut in place instead of putting these fuckers back when i finally get the fairing off.
gfilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
lexanidubs09
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 07 gsxr 600
Re: damn plastic push pin things

push in on the middle of them and then pull up from the sides....
lexanidubs09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
dazeakamike
Novice

I am pretty sure they are not the push in style (not on mine). I just use a screw driver (flat) that the blade is the width of the groove. Slide it in flat, then turn the handle to have one side touching the base and the other pulling the core out. As soon as I get it mostly up.. grab it with my hands. They do not have to come all the way out (core)... probley about half way than the hole clip comes out together.
dazeakamike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
Grandevil
Mama Bear

Motorcycle: Officially Bikeless :(

There are two types on the bike. The "push" ones are ridiculously easy to use. The "pry" ones are harder because the plastic becomes more mutilated with every use. The "pry" type are bigger than the "push" type, I would say a little smaller than a quarter. The push styles are significantly smaller.

I agree the ones that require a flat head to pry them up are a pain in the ass, but you'll get used to it.
Grandevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
dazeakamike
Novice

so wait... there are 2 types for the right fairing ? Or just in general ? I know the tail has "push" ones in it. But my left and right farings are all "pry" ones. Is that right ?
dazeakamike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
TelefonicaMovistar
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeakamike View Post
so wait... there are 2 types for the right fairing ? Or just in general ? I know the tail has "push" ones in it. But my left and right farings are all "pry" ones. Is that right ?
Yes, there are two types of plastic PITA fasteners.

The larger ones that connect the fairings (used on the bottom of the fairings are the ones that you use a flat head to pull up the plastic "head" and then it releases.

The one you are talking about is the smaller one that is flat and that one you actually push the "head" down and that releases the "locking" mechanism of the plastic fastener. You just pull out the fastener once you push the head down.

This is the small one as you would see it on your bike (red dot is the "head")

I don't have a good photo of what it looks like once you push the head down, but here are some photos of what it looks like underneath

Before you push the head down, its locked

After you push the head down its unlocked

Once you push it down, then just pull the whole plastic fastener out. You can use a needle nose plyer to grab it.

Last edited by TelefonicaMovistar; 08-19-2007 at 06:00 PM.
TelefonicaMovistar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Grandevil
Mama Bear

Motorcycle: Officially Bikeless :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeakamike View Post
No, the pry ones are only UNDER the bike and they connect the two fairings on the bottom, there should be 3 of them. All the others (for example on the inside of the front fairing where it connects to your upper fairing) should be the PUSH type. Get a pen or a small screw driver or hell...you can use one of the allen wrenches and PUSH the middle in. THEY pull the whole thing out, it should be VERY VERY easy.
Grandevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #8
gfilla
Rookie

thanks a lot guys, now i know for next time... the push ones were real easy to take off, e.g. the ones that hold that front bracket that goes under the front fairing and hides the wiring, those i could just squeeze and rip out by hand... (they seemed to be made of 2 seperate pieces, the dick part could seperate from the other part)..... the pry were real fuckers but i guess i didn't realize u just pull the head out and it comes out...

either way, those pry ones are gone... i just threw a bolt with a washer and nut for those 3 places on the bottom that connect the rigt and left fairings... unless you can see some harm in that because it won't give easy like the plastic ones, but i just barely hand tightened them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGSXR View Post
Not to make light of the accident or the guy who lost his life, but lol at "ninja style motorcycles."
Old 08-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
gfilla
Rookie

also, do you think i need to take off the left fairing to mess with the blinker wiring??? the blinker seems to have unplugged and i need to plug it back in but don't want to take off the whole fairing... i tried just removing that front bracket, that thing that is under the front fairing that hides the wiring, but it had those fucking push bastards holding it togeather, and the problem is the ones in the front are too far to reach with your hands to take off... so i guess i'm gunna have to take off the whole right fairing?? or if i had a manual maybe i could plug it back in blindly??? still waiting for them to fix the link so i can download the manual..
Quote:
Not to make light of the accident or the guy who lost his life, but lol at "ninja style motorcycles."
Old 08-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
TelefonicaMovistar
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfilla View Post
i'm trying to take off the right fairing to change the oil
Just an FYI, I never take the fairing off to change the oil.

I am able to get the oil filter screwed on and off through the fairing and am able to squeeze the oil filter through the front of the fairing/behind the wheel.

If you are able to figure it out, it will save you a lot of time.
TelefonicaMovistar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
gfilla
Rookie

damn, i used to do that with my 03 600... this was my first time changing the oil on my new 04 750 and just by eye balling it, it seemed like it wouldn't fit through the cut in the fairing.....

also it had a K&N filter on it which needs to get ratcheted out...

i did only take it off halfway, mainly cuz i kept running into those fucking push pins and gave up LOL . was able to get it off with just the bottom and side bolts off (basically everything but those black bastards holding that middle piece to the fairing)
Quote:
Old 08-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
mentalmadness
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 04 GSX-R 750

did you throw them away cause I need like 2....lol
mentalmadness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
trekuhl
Novice

Motorcycle: 2K4 gsxr6, 2k5 gsxr6, 2k9 zx6r

they dont sell some sort of quick release version?? i was thinking about this the other day...
trekuhl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
boricua_aoc
Rookie

Motorcycle: 06 GSX-R600

Trust me guys these fairings are a lot easier to remove than Honda fairings. Honda fairings do have the advantage(at least on a 03 CBR 600RR) that the bottom of the fairings are a separate piece, easier and less to remove for oil changes. But as far as the pins and the whole fairings fitment on the bike; I would NEVER want to remove and install all the fairings on a Honda.
boricua_aoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
gimpsta
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: race 04 600/'06 gix 1k/'03 KX65/'06 R6/'07 750 #315

i never cared, i put oil in the filter before putting it on, and i want better leverage taking care of spills.

its hardly a disadvantage to take your time to take off the fairing on the right side...

if you think that sucks, some of us have an extra step after that, SAFETY WIRING IT afterwards
gimpsta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #16
redlight_005
Rookie

These fairings are not that hard to take off......BTW, does anyone have extra "push type" fasteners???
redlight_005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in