05/06 Gsxr 1000 Clutch Mod DIY w/ lots of Pics - Page 19 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum > 05-06 GSX-R1000

Old 12-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #361
jandcwright
Rookie

Motorcycle: srad/k6 1k hybrid
Re: 05/06 Gsxr 1000 Clutch Mod DIY w/ lots of Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudsuperior View Post
I don't care how bad I get yelled at for this...

I have read through several pages and STILL have not found anything on how this mod corrects a chattering problem at launch. I am lost. Adds extra oil to the plates, which somehow silences everything???

Then slpspeeed just posted about a washer he installed, and now everything is better??? What is this miraculous washer he speaks of?
Yes it adds extra oil to the plates and the washer puts more even pressure on the casing because of the convex shape. Its out of the 750 gixxer if you look up the part number that was in the how to you will see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proudsuperior View Post
Does this correct the clunk when engaging 1st from neutral?
No, it gets rid of the grinding or clicking noise at higher rpm launches, also provides a more possitive clutch feel.
jandcwright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #362
bullitt3246
Squid

dont know if Mines been done or not, but what does this fix or solve? or make better
?

anybody still around?

Last edited by bullitt3246; 04-04-2011 at 09:38 PM.
bullitt3246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #363
txgixxersteve
Squid

Newbie here! I looked the post over and found that most people are having problems with to many threads showing on the 3 slipper adjusters. I have the opposite. If I adjust to the 2 1/4 turns out I have no threads showing over the lock nuts. Did I forget something here?? Is this normal and just needs to be adjusted with the lever? This is a freaking great site! I have learned a lot here! Hope to contribute some knowledge someday! Thanks!
txgixxersteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #364
rossiriaan
Squid

Thanks man! Mine has been making this grinding noise forever and the clutch also grabs a lot, so I had to be ever so careful pulling away at robots when I was lane splitting. I'll definitely do the mod asap. My plates are blue as well but still look okay. Do I need to change them?
rossiriaan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #365
d207gp
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face

Motorcycle: '06 G1K, '08 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossiriaan View Post
My plates are blue as well but still look okay. Do I need to change them?
Blued drive plates are indicative of overheating...they could be warped. I would replace them as well as the friction plates.
d207gp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #366
bullitt3246
Squid

This is a long thread to read. I read a few pages and reading some things that I feel my bike does when Im trying to take off quick. I find myself always easing off the clutch real easy when taking off cuz it grabs, jerks, and makes a wierd nosie and almost makes me feel like I dont know how to ride or start off. The higher the rpm's when I'm trying to take off quicker, the more it jerks and makes noise and feels catchy. This is my first bike k6-1000 and been on it for 2 years now.

SO is this DIY write up to fix that problem? If so, I dont think the pdf file to print was available. I've built a few motors in my mustangs so I'm some what mechanicly capabale of doing my own repairs or mods as long as I have detailed instructions for the first time.

If somebody can PM with some detail instructions like this write up I'd appreciate it.

Also a tip if its not already mentioned in here some where. Anybody thought about holding a vaccum hose next to the bit while drilling the holes to limit the amout of shavings to clean up?

Thanks,
Phillip
bullitt3246 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #367
blkoutgsxr
Squid

Motorcycle: 2004 GSXR 600...blacked out

QUESTION:

I no longer have the slipper due to having it welded up, and have removed the slipper pins etc.

My question is, will the change in washer still benefit me? I was told by a local shop to remove BOTH washers as they only reduce clutch noise. They remove them on both street and drag bikes.

I worry if they are not talking about the same washers I am, so just need to clear things up.

ALso, where can I order the washer from and NOT have to wait 7-10 days!?!?!
blkoutgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #368
dabore84
Squid

Hallo people, I need some help. When I reinstalled everything and pulled the clutch lever, it moved just an inch and was very hard to pull.
-When doing the mod I did a couple of gear shifts + rear brake in order to release the clutch sleeve hub nut.
-I also noticed that I had a little too much space between clutch push piece and the clutch sleeve hub nut.
-Last thing, I can gear shift without the clutch! This is after I reinstalled everything back and oil.
Where did I go wrong? Did something got loose in the gearbox?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by dabore84; 04-11-2011 at 01:40 PM.
dabore84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #369
carl goddard
Squid

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, i have been reading the threads related to the Clutch mod. The trouble i am having ( could of missed some thing ) is understanding exactly why this mod is required & what it will achieve ? could somebody out there explain ?

Thanks Goddba
carl goddard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #370
Wubanger187
Squid

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R 1000

I just did the wave washer portion of this mod and my clutch chatter is gone!!

To all of the people who read this and do not know exactly what is supposed to be cured here…
From a stop perform an enthusiastic start, if the bike makes an awful buzzing /vibration noise then you have clutch chatter. This mod is to address this condition.
Wubanger187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #371
Sierrarider
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000 04 RC51

Just add me to the list of "THANK YOU for a great thread" guys. Did this mod this weekend. Took my time and followed the instructions to the letter and it was easy and worked perfect. I can't make my bike stall-well, I'm sure I could-but the "judder spring" mod was a complete success for my 06 1000. No more screeching and stalling!

Thanks so much for putting up a great how to!
Sierrarider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #372
rhinotr2000
Squid

All the way from Australia, a big thank you to JetSpeedz for the write up even its 2011 now the write up is excellent too bad the link to download it as PDF has long expired you can still refer to it on 1st page. I just done the mod today and took me approx 4hrs with no breaks even though I bought the gasket and the new wave washer which added up to approx $50 Aus I didn't have to use any. Gasket glue and drilling of the new holes were enough, the clutch felt like the way a slipper clutch should. Oh a tip to all who are about to do this.

1. lable with masking tape is very helpful along with using a black marker pen to a-line the parts up is helpful as well
2. take pics along the way to refer back to
3. no need to remove side cowling just loosen it enough to get access to the bottom 2 bolts
4. no need to drain oil just leave your bike on the side stand that should be enough to remove the clutch and the basket to do all your work
5. don't why all this 2 1/4 turn you can remove your clutch fibres without even touching that it comes right off in a set provided you don't put new in the new thickness wave (concave) washer.
just take your time and follow the steps and you should be fine.
rhinotr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #373
JetSpeedz
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: GSXR's

Sorry guys i have got a lot of requests for the link but its long expired. I have the pdf but its too big to post anywhere without it expiring over time. Easiest thing to do is just save all the pics and create a pdf. cheers
JetSpeedz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #374
JetSpeedz
Superbike Champ

Motorcycle: GSXR's

Pictures will be back up by the end of the month. Apparently Photobucket set a monthly view limit. Sorry for the inconvenience.
JetSpeedz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #375
Zippy994
4-gear fast guy

Motorcycle: '05 1K

My clutch has been horrible for ages. Had the 750 washer, spring seats from tillerpilot, gasket, etc. for a long time. Had to swap a cracked oil pan today so I figured I'd finally knock this one out while I'm at it.

Dis-assembly was going smoothly until I tried pulling the basket out. The teeth on the flywheel are getting caught up on the edge of a part within the area of the clutch gears. Not sure what that part is.

The attached pic shows what the flywheel is getting caught up on. I don't think I see that same polished silver part (blocking the flywheel on the right) in the attached pic first posted by the OP (attached below).

No matter how I twist or turn it I cannot get enough clearance to pull the flywheel out with the basket. I'm talking 2mm at most is all I need to clear it but I can't make it happen. On top of that, there is a small gear/sprocket just rattling around unattached to anything behind the flywheel now. I can't really get to it and I don't really know what it is or how to deal with it at this point.

Even if I just skip the hole drilling and start re-assembly with the new parts, I'm not sure how to deal with that small loose gear/sprocket since I can't really see what's going on back there.

Hopefully there's an easy fix and I'm just tired and not seeing it.

Help me out, guys. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (29.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (62.0 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by Zippy994; 05-07-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Zippy994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #376
Zippy994
4-gear fast guy

Motorcycle: '05 1K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK051K View Post
Rotate the crank some by removing small allen cap on right side engine idle gear cover.Then use 14mm socket to turn crank (clockwise)this will rotate crank so lower portion of crank(porkchop) will clear basket for removal.
OK, so I just found my answer. Didn't recall seeing this post when I re-read the entire thread last night. Gonna head back out and give it a go.
Zippy994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #377
BillV
Club Racer

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

I don't visit this thread very often but the previous posts suggest that the pdf is no longer available from it's original source. I have it available here.
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #378
Tillerpilot
Back Marker

Motorcycle: Tillerpilot

I still have a bag of the clutch spring retainers if people are still doing this mod or just maintenance.

Stops the springs from scaring the pressure plate
Tillerpilot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #379
HAL-9000
Squid

Motorcycle: GSX R1000 K6

Hi frnds,

I noticed similar thing on my bike but it does not show up all the time. I can hear the grinding sound and feel some traction as well. This is only evident during fast take off when I engage 1st gear. I guess that I also need that clutch mod?

Is that mod something urgent or I can drive a few more miles? Thx in advance.

btw I'm from Montenegro and hope that we will have a chance to help each other.

Last edited by HAL-9000; 05-14-2012 at 07:38 AM.
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #380
The Male Whale
Back Marker

Hopefully, a quick question.

I did the wave washer solution to my K5 ages ago and it cured the problem instantly.

My question is that my mate has a K4 that is virtually unrideable with the cluth grinding - will this mod work here?

A brief look on the K4 forum seems to recommend fitting a steel plate from a Kawasaki instead of one of the fibre plates on the K4.

Just wondering if the wave washer fix has been tried and would work just as well?

Will search the K4 forum next!

Whale
The Male Whale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in