How do I take apart the headlight housing? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 02-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
BUSTN
Back Marker

How do I take apart the headlight housing?

My headlight is dirty inside and I need to clean it.What would be the best method to pry open the housing??Thanks
BUSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
K6racer
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 1000
Re: How do I take apart the headlight housing?

there will be no 'prying open'. I know you can swap out bulbs, but I don't think you can remove the plastic lens on the light itself. it should be one sealed assembly that doesn't come apart. I could be wrong though.
K6racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
N.O.LAgsxr600
Novice

Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 600, 1998 Yamaha R1, 1995 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (for the wifey)

ive taken apart headlights on cars and trucks, a little trick i picked up that has come in handy several times. what you do first is take the whole head light unit out of the bike and plastics. take a cookie sheet big enough for the head light to fit on, cover it w/ foil, and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. also make sure you take ALL the bulbs out, and place it on the cookie sheet w/ the back of the head light (the part the bulb goes into) and place it facing down on the cookie sheet and put it in the oven ofr a few minutes (like four or five, dont over do it). take it out and try to pry the two pieces apart. if it is simply glued together and not a whole piece, it will come apart fairly easily, use a flat head screwdriver if you need to. i dont know if it will work on the gsx-r, if it is 1 piece it wont. hope this comes in handy.
N.O.LAgsxr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
d207gp
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face

Motorcycle: '06 G1K, '08 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.O.LAgsxr600
ive taken apart headlights on cars and trucks, a little trick i picked up that has come in handy several times. what you do first is take the whole head light unit out of the bike and plastics. take a cookie sheet big enough for the head light to fit on, cover it w/ foil, and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. also make sure you take ALL the bulbs out, and place it on the cookie sheet w/ the back of the head light (the part the bulb goes into) and place it facing down on the cookie sheet and put it in the oven ofr a few minutes (like four or five, dont over do it). take it out and try to pry the two pieces apart. if it is simply glued together and not a whole piece, it will come apart fairly easily, use a flat head screwdriver if you need to. i dont know if it will work on the gsx-r, if it is 1 piece it wont. hope this comes in handy.
Sounds quite feasible. I guess that you can use hot glue for reassembly?
d207gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
knocker
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 05 750

As mentioned above just bake it in oven, but I think 350 is bit too high. I opened my 05 750 head light housing few times by baking it and I think I did it in range of 250-280. No need to wrap it in anything either.
You really don't need to worry about using any sealant to reseal it. What's already on it is good enough to reseal it.
BTW, you need to bake it again in order to reseal it, too.
Check often while you're baking the sucker. I'm sure you don't want your head light to melt in your oven.
knocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
rraiderr
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: Stretched and slammed Busa

FLight.JPG
rraiderr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
BUSTN
Back Marker

thanks guys!
BUSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
knocker
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 05 750

Make sure you take out screws first. Not sure about your model, but I'm sure there's couple of screws holding it too.
knocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
147gsxrs2000
Back Marker

Motorcycle: gixxer 1000

it's not for a gixxer (or even a bike for that matter) but these instructions are to mod s2000 headlights. there's instructions on how to bake them and how to put them back together and it tells you what sealant to use. scroll down to page 8 "cook the headlight" I've seen and know several people that have followed these instructions for their s2000 with much success.

http://www.ricks2k.com/info/instructions/diffuser.pdf

hope that helps,
-Sam-
147gsxrs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement