Paint Stripper for Fairings & Tank? : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 06-07 GSX-R600/750

Old 12-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
RyanH314
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSX-R600K6
Paint Stripper for Fairings & Tank?

Before I repaint my bike a metallic gunmetal (If I can get the color) I believe I would have to strip the paint off of the tank and fairings then sand with something around 600 grit. I'm just making assumptions and will experiment on the GSXR.

In any case, is there any stripper that anyone could recommend which is safe to use on my fairings and gas tank exterior?

P.S. any repainting tips would be useful. I've already got a paint gun & compressor.
RyanH314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
racedgsxr600
Supersport Racer

Motorcycle: I ride a pink scooter
Re: Paint Stripper for Fairings & Tank?

uhh just sand it and prime it
racedgsxr600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #3
soysauce021
Professional Baby Maker

Motorcycle: JenJen750

Dont use any stripper on the plastics. Just sand real good to where it is no longer shiny and then a bit more. Then you can start to primer it and sanding.
soysauce021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
tonywilliam
Rookie

just wet sand with 800 grit paper using washing up liquid in the water, about a cupfull to a bucket of water and sand in a circular motion.( 25 years in the refinish industry) Don't use paint stripper on plastic as it can melt some types, as long as the surface is sound and on a new bike it is ,you do not have to remove old paint. Good luck.
tonywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
RyanH314
Rookie

Motorcycle: GSX-R600K6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywilliam
just wet sand with 800 grit paper using washing up liquid in the water, about a cupfull to a bucket of water and sand in a circular motion.( 25 years in the refinish industry) Don't use paint stripper on plastic as it can melt some types, as long as the surface is sound and on a new bike it is ,you do not have to remove old paint. Good luck.
Is there a particular type of product for 'washing up' or just any mild soap?

Also, should I sand by hand or purchase an electric circular sander (12,000RPM or so)?

Thanks for the info.
RyanH314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
TheGeek
Stupid. Who's with me?

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & Million Edition 1000

Hand sand it. It doesn't take very long. The hardest part is getting the glue from the decals off. Goof-Off will do the trick there. You could use "aircraft stripper" on the tank since it's metal, but you'll still need to take a razor to break through the clear and remove the decals from it. Just trace the decals on the tank with an exacto and peel off the stickers. You'll need to prime the tank to get a good finish. The plastic body panels just need a good scuffing and they'll be ready to go with a quality paint.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" - Diemon Dave
TheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
Gold Tie
Rookie

Motorcycle: 07 GSX-R1000 / 03 GSX-R600

+1 to all the advice! Dont forget to put a water trap on that compressor and refrain from getting your skins oil on the paint surface post prep. fish eyes dont look good in metallic gunmetal.
Gold Tie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #8
tonywilliam
Rookie

just regular washing up liquid and no you don't need a sander just your hand(s).
tonywilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
fatal1
Squid

I'm not a professional painter nor do I have any formal training, but I have a learned a lot through trial and error. Make sure you tape any holes on the tank so you dont get trash in it. While your tank is off, you may as well check your air filter. If you have any inperfections in the stock paint that you dont want in your finished product, make sure you address them before you lay down your base. Repairing small cracks or rock chips is a lot easier than you think; do a search on this forum or google it and you can find a lot of information on body work. I'm not sure where you are located but unlike Biloxi M.S where the temp was in the 70's this week some parts of the country are cold. If you are painting in a garage you might want to find some way to get the temperature up to about 70, and even then I would let my paint flash (dry) for about 45 minutes between coats. Let your paint supplier know that you are not a professional painter and he can help you choose the appropriate paint reducers and hardeners. Also, if you are on a budget like myself and cant afford a expensive variable speed buffer, go to Harbor Freight and get the $30 one from them. I have a coupon code that they sent me when I ordered mine that you can have If you email me. I guess my overall advice would be to take your time. If you rush I can almost guarantee that you'll get a shitty paint job.

Good Luck,
Sgt Logan

Katie Couric, while interviewing a Marine sniper,asked:

"What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"

The Marine shrugged and replied: "Recoil."

Last edited by fatal1; 12-20-2006 at 02:43 PM.
fatal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement