Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

accident on the gsxr

6K views 83 replies 23 participants last post by  chief2001 
#1 ·
Im new, have just about under 900km real world riding experience, get sideswiped by guy in a car. I had just posted my thread about hitting 3000km in my practically mint condition 1987 GSXR250 in this thread.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340578

Its not wrecked thankfully. But going to need a new crankcase cover. Basically I went to pass a guy and he turned sharply into me making me get hard on the brakes, I left an imprint of my leather jacket on his paint, and endowd to a stop making me drop the bike. My hand hurts a little bit so im going to go to the hospital tomorrow then send my things to the police for a report. I wasn't in the wrong, so they let me go, but they kept him for further interviewing. My poor bike, dont wanna hear the sound of metal on pavement. :( I cant say the bike is mint anymore :crying

#2 ·
Damn man, that sucks. I had a recent off-bike adventure too, and my condolences go out to you and your ride. I know how sickening it is to see your baby on the ground :dissapointed glad you're okay though. Don't let it get you down too much!

#6 ·
So apparenrly national health insurance doesn't cover accidents on motorized veichle. Out of pocket 500$ for a check up. Will have to get tje guys insurance to repay me. Nothing broken, just sore. Need to go to police station again for my report and show them my doctors check report. And start talk with insurance company. Bike repairs maybe soon. Probably lower cowling clutch and brake handle for new ones, and maybe mirrors. Still havent taken pics sorry, just been tied up.

#7 ·
Good luck, go get 'em. Hopefully, just paying your bills should sting him enough to remember to look over his damn shoulder.

#10 ·
ok update on the situation. Thank for the support. Finally got word from the insurance and they of course will be covering all my medical expenses. Still need to go to a clinic for my aches and so on. But the bike will be repaired and they will cover 90% of the costs. Here in Japan they do it based on a percentage at fault. Apparently I was 10% at fualt? Im not going to push it in trying to get more because not being familiar with the system in Japan im happy to hear the results being the way they are now. So I will have my guy fully check everything on the bike. I will telll him all things that I find at fault. My shop guy will be doing all the negotiation work with the insurance company. Being an old bike, will need a lot of work done to it that wont be cheap since its not like they make the bike right now. I will update again once I get the bike into the shop.

#11 ·
update again, getting them to replace a lot of my stuff including my gloves. bike parts are being replaced if can be bought, but fairings need to be repaired since they do not make new parts for a 25 year old bike. Though was very light damage. total damages were about 150,000 yen or about $1,900? roughly. I was shocked! STill no bike for another week at the least but likely 2 weeks.

#13 ·
Why is that little boy wearing a sheep outfit in your avatar ? :lmao:lmao

#16 ·
Another update, so apprently my internation drivers license is not valid in Japan. I had made a trip out of the country to go on vacation in the philippines prior to going to the US. Because of that, I did not meet the requirements for using my International permit, so now they will be charging me with operating a motorcycle without a license which is a HUGE thing that might mean I have a lot of problems from here on out. So now I have to wait to see the results of this. Also, just so people know. You need to have an international permit with a date 3 months BEFORE you go to the country you plan on riding in. So when AAA tells you from when, you want the date, make sure its 3 months before you arrive. Might have to sticky this post for future travelers. :banghead So now I have to deal with this BS because of some idot hitting ME?!?!! I am going to try to get my motorcycle endorsment tomorrow, because I worry they might put a ban on me getting a license in Japan for a motorcycle. So Im going to try to beat them to it. If I get one, then I am safe for whatever period they might give me. I will go tomorrow immediatly to try and pass the test. Ive been riding for about a month now so I should have no problem passing it now id hope. We will find out tomorrow. :shifty

#19 ·
update again. So apparently the penalty should they decide to proceede with charges, thats up to the prosecutor, can be up to 1 year in Jail OR up to a 300,000 yen fine (about $4,000) either of which would include up to a years suspension. On top of that I run the risk of having my visa revoked and/ not being renewed depending how much they decide to make it a problem. :wtf I go later in 2 weeks to see how this works out and start the whole process. :suicide

#23 ·
I already talked with a few lawyers, they pretty much said theres nothing can be done. Just to go accept whatever they decide. You loose hope at getting off things, when more than 1 lawyer and the US emabassy here says that to you. LOL :eek:hmy Thing is, they pretty much say, just try to show how sorry I am am and emphasize how regretful I am at the whole situation that I have caused by not following the laws. If I do, they will likely base my punishment based off of that as well. Japan is big on the showing responsibility and they REALLY frown upon not showing any remorse and will get you good if you dont.

#24 ·
Small update again, over a month out and repairs still not done. Also, decided to go out and practice so I could get take my license test. Well, as luck would have it I still have not finished with my ordeal and I go down a street stop and wait in my lane for the light to turn green, well, a van in front of me decides to go in reverse for some reason and had my front wheel run over by a van and he broke my front fender. So now I have to deal with another accident. I am approaching things differently this time but it would be an understatement for me to say im worried now. lol As for the test I went for, they failed me for ??? being twitchy, not smooth on the throttle, making my right turn too wide, and because I locked up my rear brake a bit during the panic stop section. I would have passed, I know it, if I hadnt made a "wide" turn. Basically not tight to the inside, because it was literally right before the easiest section of the whole thing. turn, stop, turn, turn, turn done. I need to go back again, but i can ride my own bike so well, but that test center bikes are so freaking wierd to ride. End rant and putting on flame suit. I will post a picture of the broken fender. later and a pic of BEFORE the bike got damaged the same night. :banghead

#26 ·
Not using my motorcycle until I get my license in this country. Feel so bad for my bike. granted I might be an idiot, its other people not paying attention that have hurt my bike so much. Purchased the bike in Mint Condition, now the bike currently looks like its a parts bike or garage project. :crying

#32 ·
Just a little hint. Don't stop directly behind cars in front of you . Also don't stop 5ft off their rear bumper . Give yourself a escape route from cars in front of you and behind you .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.