Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

kind of gear you life if you're a commuter.

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  gixx1000 
#1 ·
So I mostly use my bike as a commuting bike. It gets pretty hot here, 100+ in the summer, and cold in the winter, coldest is high 20s. I was wondering what kind of gear your would advise on. I have an Icon jacket for summer which is cool looking but functionality and safety are on the wayside for it. The winter jacket is a sedici and it is very functional but style is lacking. Are there any good brands out there that can blend functionality and style well for the commuter. It seems like most brands you either get style and no real functionality or functionality and you look like a goober.

#3 ·
Starbucks! :lmao ... Okay seriously though, I will attempt to answer your question.... Depends on your price range and build... research the videos on SportbikeTrackGear.com and google review threads on the product for more info....

For inexpensive textile jacket that looks great and functioned well in the summer, Alpinestars T GPR Air! I've loved it in the heat. For a little more money I'd get a well vented and perforated RS Taichi, A*stars, or similar leather jacket. IMHO!

For Winter I'd go with similar style, brand non perf. For boots, I love my A*stars perf and non-perf but they are definitely made for thinner athletic feet!

As for hands... Well, how much do you care about them. I like the things I've been hearing about knox.

Finally helmet... I find AGV, SHARK, NEXX, SHOI, ARAI, and even HJC and BELL lately, all offer some really good venting and great featured helmets... keep in mind, don't skimp out to try and save money. Save up and get something nice. Also, they all have different internal shapes so research videos/reviews on each and look carefully at your head shape and size.

Okay there went my good deed for the day! :twitch

#6 ·
In summer I have a* two piece suit I wear it gets up to 110 here at times

In the winter I have scorpion over pants and a tour master water proof jacket as well as some water proof gloves lows get to upper 20s lower 30s at times here in winter

Looks really don't matter to me when it comes to winter gear. When you can't feel your hands feet and balls or get soaked because it started raining out of no where looks really don't matter anymore.

Also it's wise if winter/rain gear is bright as people can't see crap as in the rain so neon colors help for sure

I commute a minimum of 120 miles a day some days more 90% of the year on my gsxr

#11 ·
Same here. 2pc leather suit all the time. Since normal shoes look stupid and without gloves it's the same... SMX Plus boots and kangaroo palm gloves with titanium sliders.
My lid is a Shoei RF1000 I got on sale in 2011 for 180 shipped from compacc.com

Summers get up to 104F and I rode in 40 and once in 25F.

Best investment for me was a heated vest. I ride with a longsleeve underarmour, another thin long sleeve and the vest under my normal leathers (get's tight in the jacket).
For my legs I just wear ski underwear.

Worst are my hands. Only true functional thing would be heated grips. But I wanna put a stop to myself so I won't risk riding on black ice one morning, so no heated grips for me. Too thick of a glove makes me very slow on the controls and turning signal is hard to feel, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.