Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Cant seem to ftgure out what i did wrong

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  draccocain 
#1 ·
i replaced head gasket on my 98 750 and the bike ran before i opened her up. now i have her all together and it wont fire . sounds like timing but i did everything according to manual. can any give me somre suggestions as to what i might have done wrong. i ve pulled apart five time already to redo timming chain so i am stumped. heres a copy of the instructions on how to. am i missing somthing

Attachments

#3 ·
So the motor will crank but never fires up?
Do you get a Fi code on the dash?

John

#7 ·
all great suggestions. thanx . i'm pretty sure i've got marks dead on . i've tired aligning marks then fully rotating crankshft and aligning marks still no. i've got spark. and fuel pump kicks on. so if i installed coils outa order what do i reference to find the position where each coil plug needs to b. and just to make sure i have the timing marks aligned on the right turn off the crankshaft, what do i do to make sure that the position of the crnkshft is correct. pictures would b helpful but i can get thru it weith a good description

#9 ·
Sounds like timing is out. Did you replace the timing chain? The old chain may have stretch slightly and therefore the marks will not be spot on.

#14 ·
ignition coils should have small numbers on the harness where they plug in. also should be 15 pins from mark to mark on cam gears for chain. some books say 14 which isnt right. if the coils are in wrong order also the harness wont fit as it should it will be long in some spots where it should be short

#17 ·
Does not matter which tdc you use, as the cam is the reference point to what is firing stroke , you cannot be 180 out

if you harness is right the coils are all the same

any fault codes ?

you could put a splash of fuel down each throttlebody crank it and see if it fires
if it does look at your fuel supply /pressure

#18 ·
Ok, update on what i know so far. i've been busy with school so just got a lil time b4 my finals to troubleshoot this issue. after checking cams, crankshaft. coils n wiring order, timing chain all that is good i found out my num 1 cylynder has no compression, any ideas where to go next?

#20 ·
Check valve lash, make sure you don't have a valve that isn't closing. Then do leak down, see if you are losing compression past a bent valve or bad seat interface, past rings, etc. Don't tear down aimlessly without reference.

Sent from my DROID3 using Motorcycle.com App

#23 ·
Again, buy or borrow a leak down test device. It allows you to set a constant air pressure to your cylinder. Connect to air source and to spark plug hole. Set that cylinder to TDC, and lock crank from turning. Take off carbs and pipe. Put in 100 psi, Listen for signs of air escaping in intake or exhaust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.