Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Question/Suggestion

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  dan uk 
#1 ·
Okay, first off Ive never owned a streetbike but looking to get one.

There is a 2001 gsxr 600 with roughly 13k miles.

Is this too many miles? Do I need to worry about maintenance at this mileage etc? How much would this be worth?

Thanks!

#3 ·
although my advice is uninvited and probably won't be heeded, I think that 01 gsxr600 is not a good first street bike, even though you might think that it's just an old and crappy bike and nowhere near close to the new bikes (which is not correct). even if you had a lot of dirtbike experience, street is different. save yourself some money on replacement fairings, parts and ect. in a long run, ninja 250 or 300 (or 500 and 650) or even sv650 would be a lot better first streetbikes, not to mention that you might even want to keep the sv.
//end thread

#6 ·
Like before mentioned do your checks but 13K isn't a lot for that year some places you can ride all year long thus racking up more miles. I'm on the fence about it being a good starter bike(600) I've seen people do worse, not advising but I did started on a 2001 750. Took a longer time to learn the bike and it was a bit much in the beginning but riders progress at diffferent paces. Good luck Gear up.

#7 ·
an 01 600 you say? How many times has it been crashed?

#9 ·
Don't always believe everything you read. This is especially true when it comes to 10 year old gsxr's and what the odometer says.

Get someone with you to be a thorough as they can with determining the history and correct mileage of the bike.

That's a low mileage. Mine (02 750) has 19K showing but when delivered it needed a new gearbox (6th gear howl/vibration), had all the documented history suddenly missing and the suspension was shot.

I'm an experienced biker and that happened to me because i trusted the seller, caveat emptor mate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.