Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Testing the Fuel Petcock

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Wag 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I just want to hear your methods or even get a solid write up(maybe make a sticky) on testing the fuel petcock?? How to test, what to look for? etc.

I'm rebuilding my carbs and everything and would hate to overlook this part of the fuel system.

Much appreciated.

#2 ·
Pretty basic testing. Put the lever on Pri and fuel should flow out. Set the lever on reserve and fuel should not flow out until you suck on the vacuum nipple. Set the lever in the normal on position and again fuel should not flow out until you suck on the vacuum nipple.

I supposed it would depend on which type of pet cock you have too by this is how it works on mine.

#3 ·
the brand new (purchased from suzuki) petcock on my 88 gsxr 750 dribbles fuel even when the vacuum is unplugged. when i pulled the tank to adjust valves i had a big puddle of gas in my garage last week after it sat overnite.

next winter i am going to re-do the fuel lines and add two in-line plastic shutoff valves for lawn tractors to assure flow is off. i bought the two little in-line valves for 10 bucks including shipping--which would have saved me over 150$ if i had just put them in and kept the older petcock. oh well, live and learn.

replacing the o-rings on the floats ultimately solved my fuel leakage problem during riding season, i just want the fuel flow to stop entirely to prevent any accidents during winter storage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.