Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

What would cause this? pics

2K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Zlow28 
#1 ·
Check out the inside of my bar ends.

I was removing my bar ends to replace my stock grips with new ones and i couldnt get the clutch side to come out. It was so bad that it was twisting my screwdriver until i stripped the screw. Then i got some pliers and wiggled the whole thing out and a bunch of water came out :wtf Smelled like koolaid due to the rust.

The brake side was also pretty rusted, but it had no water and came out easily.

What couldve caused that to happen?

Also, im gonna do the r6 throttle tube mod, and im wondering, when i buy new bar ends, should i buy them specifically for the 2006 r6r? or stick to my k6 600? Will there even be a difference? Will i also need new grips?

See less See more
#4 ·
I think you kind of answered your own question about what caused it. Your clip-ons are always at somewhat of a downward angle. You get some water in there from washing it or leaving it out in the rain and that water has nowhere to go since the bar ends hold the water in.

And you just need to use bar ends for your model bike. The throttle tube doesn't affect them.

Edit: piester you beat me to it.

#5 ·
Corrosion is deterioration of useful properties in a material due to reactions with its environment. Weakening of steel due to oxidation of the iron atoms is a well-known example of electrochemical corrosion. This type of damage usually affects metallic materials, and typically produces oxide(s) and/or salt(s) of the original metal. Corrosion also can refer to discolouration and weakening of polymers by the sun's ultraviolet light.

#8 ·
Cool thanks. I knew it was water, just wondering why it got there while the brake side was completely dried. I'm guessing cus it tilts left when not riding. I feel kinda dumb now lol.

But thanks about the throttle tube info. I went to my dealer to buy the parts and the fuckers wanted 10 bucks for the screw and washer only, and 25 dollars for the r6 throttle tube. I'll just buy the tube online and the screw at lowes or homes depot.

Last question, will the new rental grip fit both the gsxr and r6 tube?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#10 ·
Do you pressure wash your bike by any chance?

#15 ·
Ill stop using the powerwash gun and I bought some axle grease to do the front and rear axles. I just need to buy the screws and I'm keeping the gsxr throttle tube for now.
Here's what I'm looking forward to. Big thanks to Corey @ motomummy
View attachment 195082

I'll post a pic later if it doesn't work

#17 ·
Nice. The power washer isn't very kind to motorcycle parts. It's really easy to get water in where you don't want it, especially around all your bearings & pivot points.

#19 ·
Are the rubber caps still there?
Yes, i still have the rubber caps. They look in good condition too, so ill just go to lowes and pick up a new screw and nut and ill try to get it in stainless steel so it wont rust later on.

I already installed the levers, they were much easier than expected.

The woodcraft frame sliders are thicker than the current ones i have, so i will have to trim off part of the fairing tomorrow to make them fit properly. Only a couple millimeters in radius.

Then last but not least, the brake lines.

#22 ·
So I installed the grips today and the woodcraft sliders. The grips were a piece of cake after spraying some hairspray. I also used water sealant to help avoid future corrosion.

The sliders were a little tricky. There's a long and short one. I think I put them on backwards because the brake side is sticking out a lot and the clutch side seems very short. However, I couldn't switch them without trimming the fairing part were it bolts into the frame. Will it make a difference if I leave them as they are?
Here's some crappy pictures to see if it helps
View attachment 195189
View attachment 195190
View attachment 195191
View attachment 195192

The fairing was cracked when I bought it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.