Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Overheating... Help/Suggestions, Please!

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  2movethesoul 
#1 · (Edited)
Bike:2006 GSX-R 750

Issue:
I recently had a lowside and took the bike over to a friend's place to have the parts replaced as well as getting some parts anodized and powder coated.

He was supposed to put coolant in it, but forgot to and I managed to put some in before I rode/started the bike.

Was planning on taking it to work this morning, a few minutes later at a stop light I noticed there is coolant on the ground and on the side of the bike, temp got up to 235ish...
I looked and I must not have tied the rad cap tight enough, it was just sitting there...

Got to a gas station, tied the rad cap, put gas and headed back to my place. At this point it was up to 235-240*, it reached 248 and that's when the warning light started flashing, I shut off the bike and coasted for a while before I started it again...

While it overheated, it didn't go over by much, reached max of 251* before I shut it off and coast again.
I was literally 1.5 miles from my house before I turned back.

As soon as I got home, I put coolant in it and let it idle, the fan kicks in when it's supposed to (220*) but the temp is still climbing.
I looked on the ground and saw a lot of coolant on the ground.
I took the fairings off to look for leaks and I didn't see anything dripping.
I attempted to top up the coolant but it wouldn't take any more. it was full.

When I did add the coolant the first time, I filled up the top and ran the bike for a minute or so with the cap off.
Topped it up some more and called it a wrap.

I'm guessing it's either air in the system or a thermostat issue.
I did have the water pump cover powder coated, but I don't know if he changed the gasket or not.

There is no way I damaged the engine/head gasket etc. but I'm a little worried.
There are no signs of a blown head gasket, coolant is not mixing with the oil and no antifreeze smell coming from the exhaust.
It's cold here so there was some steam coming from the exhaust, but it didn't smell suspicious at all.

Any help on what I should look for would be appreciated.
Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I wonder if the water pump is spinning. I believe in the 2006-7 model, that it is still driven from a shaft that connects it to the oil pump. If it was installed improperly, or hammered into its hole, the brittle drive shaft could have been cracked, which would keep it from spinning. You might want to pull the water pump and verify that it is still in one piece.

When you install it, you need to line up the forked end of the water pump shaft with the corresponding pin on the oil pump. I wonder if the powder coating resulted in a tight fit, and the installer assumed that the problems fitting it back in were due to that, instead of due to the drive shaft not being lined up correctly.

#4 ·
Leaky cap and probably an air bubble. Bleed the air out of the system. Leave the body work off and let it idle. See if it still climbs over 220. This way, you can spot leaks and shutdown if there's a problem without being stranded.

When you do this, watch the expansion tank closely. There are two seals on the cap. One for pressure, one for the system. As pressure builds, it should expand into the tank. Then it's drawn back in when it cools. I'm guessing this seal isn't good for some reason (my radiator neck was deformed in a crash, so I know what I'm talking about here). What you're looking for is rapid expansion, or bubbles. Both indicate air/steam inside the cooling circuit. Once your coolant starts to boil, you'll overheat. Either case, you'll see an indication in the expansion tank if it boils.

#5 ·
All are great suggestions, thank you guys for taking the time to reply.
It turned out to be air in the system, my buddy came over and helped me flush and refill, all is well.

I will post some pictures soon with all the powder/anodizing goodness!

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.