Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels – anyone have positive experiences?

43K views 95 replies 36 participants last post by  PR_Portugal 
#1 ·
Guys,

Seen this advertisement on the net for Dymag Carbon Fibre Wheels for $2750 including Taxes (Australian GST). This is a 25% saving off normal retail prices & about $1000 cheaper than BST’s.

Just want to know how they compare to BST’s in general & any other info in general. I don’t think that they look quite as elegant as the BST’s with chunkier spokes (still 5 spoke design) but the design looks very similar. They would primarily be used on the road for weekend jaunts (fast) & the general commute. Would do the odd track day too I’m sure but would not be a track based bike by any means.

http://www.dymag.com/?q=products

See less See more
#5 ·
Well, I remember reading on several other forums of the bst wheels failing. Wether it was breaking, cracking, no linger holding air, it was bad. Also I think they have a life span, as in so many miles before you should replace them. It's just something you may want to look into before you buy them. Would really suck for you to buy them, and then have to replace them next season because they are wore out.

sent from toaster. yeah, toaster.

#17 ·
Well, I remember reading on several other forums of the bst wheels failing. Wether it was breaking, cracking, no linger holding air, it was bad. Also I think they have a life span, as in so many miles before you should replace them. It's just something you may want to look into before you buy them. Would really suck for you to buy them, and then have to replace them next season because they are wore out.

sent from toaster. yeah, toaster.
Only situation I have read about have been drag racing related on mega horsepower bikes. Ive hade a st of BST's for almost 2yrs and not a single issue whatsoever,I'd buy another pair right now if I had the money:biggrin

#6 ·
I can't say I have ever used Dymag wheels but they have a long history of top level performance. I would feel pretty safe that their carbon wheels will be a great performance boost on par with BST or Rotobox. Carbon is going to be stronger, more durable and more expensive then Magnesium or forged aluminum wheels

#7 · (Edited)
Carbon wheels make an immediately noticeable difference and aren't going to be subject to the corrosion issues of magnesium. You'll probably be just fine with Dymag though they don't (at least yet) have TUV approval. Bankruptcy tarnished the Dymag name and it's going to take some hard work by them to dig their way out of that. I had some concern as it was reported that the company that bought the assets was Singapore based. The new facility is in the UK but I don't know if they're actually made there.

They seem to be significantly cheaper in the UK advert than they are in the US.

P.S. Carbon rotors make as big a difference as do the wheels - if you can find them.

#9 ·
I have had a set of the Carbon Magnesium wheels on my Busa for over 5 years now!

They have held up well with the exception of the cush drive. My bike is a bigbore bike with 200hp at the wheel. So the cush drive inserts dont like life!

#10 ·
BST's here also now for 7 years on a bike with 200+hp and no issues. They look just as good as when I pulled them out of the box. Just be careful with who you use to change your tires.

The vendor that I bought my wheels from also sells Dymag said that they were slightly heavier but stronger than the BST's, but either choice, your still getting a top-notch, lighter wheel than anything else out there. Personally, the BST's just look better and have a nicer appearance, so thats why I picked them over the Dymags, but that is just my opinion and preference.

So if anyone wants to take a jab at me for picking the BST's just because I thought they looked better, then just so you know, I wipe my ass with $100 dollar bills....

#47 ·
I'd buy another pair right now if I had the money:biggrin
I'd give you both of Buster's nuts for 1/2 of the money you claim not to have OG. :lmao

#15 ·
BillV:
Interesting info about the TUV certification & location of fabrication - will defo look into that. I would be in the market for CMC / Carbon-ceramic rotors too but will do the wheels first as I need a set of wheels anyways & the rotors wont help the heavy OEM rear wheel perform any better.

Tomzilla:
Have heard of BST's failing before on the net but I though that was mainly drag racing applications with very high stress. I really want them for road riding primarily & don't expect them to suffer anyway near as much torture as competition wheels.

JP114:
I fit my own tyres manual changer & balancer) so I'll only have myself to blame! Stronger wheels are preferable to me vs slight weight difference or more elegant spokes so in that case the Dymags would be a prefered choice to me vs the BST's. Also didnt even know that Dymag made CF wheels until this week let alone the Rotobox's but like I mention above I'd be dubious of their negative affects in crosswinds with so much of the wheel filled in with those massive spokes. The are an very interesting/clever design with hollow spokes open to the rim though!

gixxerhp:
Interesting about the cush drive. My bike will be alot lighter than stock but will also have more torque/power & slight shorter gearing. I can't see it being as hard on cush drives as a big bore Busa though :)

#16 ·
Kenny, don't waste your breath answering the haters or mediocre Joes here. You got nothing meaningful to add to the POST OWNER's request then nick off.

They remind me of that joker that told Stocky his evaluation and results obtained with a Motty ATX-4C expansion unit were meaningless without a before and after dyno run.

Kenny, did you buy that bike from a guy in Bossley Park?

#22 ·
Hey mate! Yeah a lot of oxygen thieves on this forum (lot of good guys too though) so you get that. So many internet warriors.... The guy I got it from works out of Ingleburn so he very may be from Bossley Park??

Dunno if I told you but I met Stocky (Gerard) a few years ago when I was travelling around Oz in my Camper Van when he lived in Muswellbrook. His bike was in bits (exhaust & fairings off) which was a pity but the bike felt so light on his wheels. Cool guy alright but dunno what he’s at now – was GoKarts last time I was in contact. He didn’t seem the type to tolerate fools readily so maybe that’s why he’s not on here anymore!

#23 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys 

I contacted Dymag yesterday & got a response. Looks like the wheels are $3000 to my door including taxes. They are getting back to me later with static weights & also MOI’s so I can compare them to BST’s (which I’m sure they are similar too if not a little heavier/more durable – will post up here in any case). Also interestingly they use a Kevlar rim to spoke enforcement technique to ensure no chance of spokes breaking off the rim as well (Gixan’s front BST?!?) so that sounds like a very good feature. They basically say that carbon fibre wheels are generally speaking stronger, lighter, and more durable than standard aluminium wheels

More details to come...

#26 ·
Here you go King Kenny:
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5730429#post5730429

I think maybe Mr. MacBayne got a bit off on the wrong foot here. As the oem wheels keep getting lighter together with better handling bikes the significance in terms of handling is reduced, but still they are very strong wheels and an awesome modification if you got the cash.

I put a set on my K2 and it really transformed the bikes flick ability and over all handling. The difference wasn't that big on the K5. On my current bike, 08 Blade, you get the feeling they would be too light....

#28 ·
True....they mostly break from the torque of the engine generating twisting forces on the hub/spokes etc....not from being dropped, certainly not with the force of a 400+ lbs motorcycle and a 150+ lb rider at speed pushing down on it when it hits something.

#29 ·
Comeback, that'd be interesting to know how much lighter the OEM wheels are now. I know that I had some dings taken out of K1 rims and the workshop said back then in 2004 that the new rims were so light (thin) that they buckled easier.

The rim weight comparisons seem to still put the CF rims way ahead of the latest OEM wheels.

#30 ·
Can't compare the weight of a carbon fiber wheel to that of the latest batch of OEM rims. They've gotten lighter but not THAT much lighter.

A fairer comparison would be to compare them to an aftermarket AL wheel light Marchesini, Carozzeria, etc.

#32 ·
lol man people get cranky quick over what other people do with thier bikes. i cant tell yo much about CF wheels other than what ive read here and there. ive been told they dont like pot holes lol and being i live in the N midwest we have pot holes year around, so ive stuck with the magnesium wheels. ive had 1 set of marvics loved them and 2 sets of marchesini's same thing i love them to, also had a set of PM chicaine race light versions on my old 1100 and wow, very noticeable even at tame speeds. who ever said they are almost un noticable unless your going fast doesnt know wth they are talking about. each time i bolt up a new set to a bike that had the OEM's on it, its almost like i have a new bike, it turns faster stops quicker and accel is faster.

i prefer the magnesiums and ill probably stick with those, but yea for looks the CF wheels do look very nice. as far as dymag they had a good name with thier magnesium wheels from what i remember in roadracing.

#39 ·
^Ask SPL about magnesium Marchesini's and pot holes.

The carbon vs OEM difference is easily noticed at 30 MPH.
Waitwut??? He has my old Marchsini's on his bike,they got damaged?:crying:crying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.