Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

This is my srad, there are many like it but this one is mine...

22K views 216 replies 46 participants last post by  Armi 
#1 ·
This is the story of my 97 gsxr 750. Its came home a mess as in the first link, i got it respectable enough to ride a few months later.

second clip

Finally this is where I was mid winter, with a lot of work planned. The k4 swinger just sitting there for comparison, decided not to use it.

Attachments

See less See more
2 1
#174 ·
usually i just see my shoulders... and i am not that big of a guy. b12 has 1 mirror and that bugs me . did run the b12 with no mirrors it irked me shoulder checking all the time. i like to keep an eye out for that cager planning to run me over

#175 ·
Well, looks like I'm going to hold on to my pride and joy! I've had some big changes in my life lately..thank god for family...and women can just go hell. One of them anyway...
So I'm going to finish this thread now that I can think clearly. Where was I? Motor in and off we go.
Put the Yoshimura duplex back on. Rad on and all hooked up.

Attachments

#176 ·
Few things that seemed fine when I took them apart found a way to sht the bed when i went to put them back on the bike. My clutch release mech basically fell apart. Thanks to Kevin aka cobramadness, I had a nice replacement part to me the next day..dirt cheap. Thx again man. Old one on top. Funny how much better it shifts with all the little ball bearings intact.

Attachments

#177 ·
Next was the oil catch tank. This thing is great, and it works great and is trick. Ccm hooked me up again. Thx man! These things aren't easy to find. I drilled and tapped a few holes and mounted that bad boy up to the sub frame.

Attachments

#179 ·
EPA requires you NOT vent the crankcase to the atmosphere, so the mfg recirculates it to the airbox and back through the motor.....effective, but not effiecient for combustion.
On the track, you disconnect it from the airbox, but the risk then becomes blowing a motor and oiling tires and/or the track. so the solution is catch cans. The crankcase is vented to a catch can when potential overflow is contained. In the case of my ZX7/9RR, it goes from the crankcase, to the catch can in the back, to a bottle in the front of the fairing

#180 ·
Better answered above^

Normally that hose goes into the air box. The crank case breather will blow oil into you air box and possibly into your carbs. With the air tray its more necessary. I like things nice and clean.

#183 ·
Thx man. Its simple but it turns heads.

#185 ·
^True....the paint scheme anyway.

#186 ·
Jumping ahead a bit to another issue that came up. When I put a few gallons in my tank to test fire a see fuel leaking out around the petcock and a few drops around the fuel pump. Took it all apart and found two of the bolts for the fuel pump were stripping out. Forgot to take picks but i got a few bolts that were bigger and re tapped the holes and used to larger bolts and came up a treat! <That's for the Brits.
By the way had a spare gasket in the tool box from ccm, thx yet again. No more leaks there.
Next was the petcock. Look what i find! Not sure how this hasn't caused a big problem in the past. Got a rebuild kit on ebay for 22 shipped. Done deal.

Attachments

#189 ·
Funny. I knew that and thought i lined it up. Nope. Second time was the charm. The diaphragm spins pretty easy on assembly. I guess i hit it somehow first time around.

#188 ·
I got the air tray and had to change the clip position and main jets as well as the pilots. This was a nice bit of practice because i had the carbs in and out several times changing jets, test ride, changing jets etc. Some pics of the set up.

Attachments

#190 ·
Put on a race tail added some black to tie things in better. Im no profession painter but i like the look i ended up with. Taped it off and sprayed some black.

Attachments

#191 ·
Here it is painted on on the srad.

Attachments

#196 ·
You can tell alot of pride has been taken in this build.

She's a cr to you op.......looks and i'm sure runs great....enjoy :cheers

#197 ·
^Thx Guys. Really happy with the end result. I always want to do more but those plans are on hold for now. The bike runs like a beast, pulls hard all the way through the rpm range with the fresh motor and cam work done by ccm. Since put the ohlins damper back on and used the heel plates off a 07, looks sharper than the big rounded stock ones. The left side fit perfect, the right needed to be persuaded bit.
Ape adjustable cam gears.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.