Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Clarification please!!! Generator/Stator/Coil/Magneto???

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  groundhogday 
#1 ·
Okay, so I have a few questions, and maybe just one if it's the same thing.

Can someone please explain to me the differences for these charging system terms:
Generator
Generator Coil
Stator
Magneto

I think these may all be the same thing. But if my service manual says that the generator coil is bad, is that the same thing as the generator? Then think I found it referenced as a stator. So if I need a generator, does that mean I need a stator? You can see where I'm having some issues here.

Also, the regulator/rectifier a.k.a. the R/R, this is not an alternator, correct?

I'd appreciate some clarification on the topic, and I can't be the only one. Thanks for you input.

#2 ·
the stator (copper coil/magnet thing), works similar to a car's generator. The rectifier, is the small squared looking thing thats bolted right behind the radiator. Different parts of the same charging system.

#3 ·
The engine turns a magnet on the end of the crank, which is enclosed by a static coil (aka: stator/ magneto/generator) which is bolted onto the internal face of your stator cover. When the engine is running the magnet moves within the coil and induces into it an alternating (AC) current. The rectifier/regulator converts this to a DC voltage as the bike has a DC electrical system.
It's the reverse of an electric motor which turns electrical energy into mechanical motion, where this turns mechanical motion into electrical energy.
The rectifier gets very hot during this conversion as a lot of the energy it receives is wasted, in this case in the form of heat, which is why your rectifier is prone to failure and is one of the the first things to look at if you're having charging issues.

Maybe.

#5 ·
The rectifier gets very hot during this conversion as a lot of the energy it receives is wasted, in this case in the form of heat, which is why your rectifier is prone to failure and is one of the the first things to look at if you're having charging issues.
IF your rectifier happens to go bad, I'd highly recommend converting to a MOSFET unit from another bike. When the original on my SV quit working I replaced it with one from a late model ZX-6R. It barely gets warm even on hot days. There's a good writeup on how to do the conversion here. All of the big Japanese manufacturers are using MOSFET units for several models except for (AFAIK) Suzuki, so there are many suitable R/R's out there that you can find on ebay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.