Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Bikers killed on Annual Charity toy run

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  GSXR7ED 
#1 ·
Hi there fellow bikers, this weekend in New Zealand 5 Motorcyclists were killed on our road including 2 that were riding for an Annual Charity toy run for needy kids.
They were needlesly killed by young idiots who over took cars on a blind corner killing 2 and injuring 4 others that were participating in the event ride.

My heart goes out to the familys of those killed.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10851589

Please be careful out there guys.
God Bless & take care.

#2 ·
Although tragic and sad, I don't feel this post is appropriate in this forum. If you look at other posts, they are about close friends and family who passed. It does not appear that you personally knew any of these riders so I am going to move this elsewhere.

Forum description: In Memory of Mike Donaghy AKA MPDgsxr1000 - Please use this forum to commemorate your fallen friends.

#3 ·
It's bloody terrible. The 7 people in the van were going to a "skids" event. Other people that passed the van said it was moving very erratically.

And I actually think it is 7 deaths over the last week or so. I'm quite stunned really.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8026238/Two-motorcyclists-killed-in-mangled-mess-of-bikes

Plus there was a 20 year old Chinese visitor who killed 2 bikers and left another one in a critical condition over the Lindis Pass. No details, but she is being charged with 2 counts of careless driving causing death.

It certainly makes me step back and have a think about road riding in general. I can see why many riders give up the road and just hammer the tracks.

#7 ·
It's bloody terrible. The 7 people in the van were going to a "skids" event. Other people that passed the van said it was moving very erratically.

And I actually think it is 7 deaths over the last week or so. I'm quite stunned really.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8026238/Two-motorcyclists-killed-in-mangled-mess-of-bikes

It certainly makes me step back and have a think about road riding in general. I can see why many riders give up the road and just hammer the tracks.
What's a skids event??

#6 ·
On the roads today you just never know when your number is up. I cannot believe what kind of people are given driving licenses.
Ill be getting a helmet cam soon just to record the stupid things I see every day on the way to work.
My condolences to the families of those riders.

#8 ·
It is baffling the things people do on the road...bad driving habits or just shouldn't be operating a moving vehicle.

If you do get the camera, you'll probably have too much evidence to post.

Condolences again to the families/friends of those affected.

Ed

#12 ·
Which is exactly why when you see someone riding or driving erratically, you hang way back, and watch it play out. It looks like this was another totally avoidable accident where riders had terrible judgement. Never mind what the stupid van did, it seems like the the poor riders were just as stupid.

One side of me has sympathy for those involved in this terrible outcome, and the other more objective side sees plenty of fault on the riders part.

#17 ·
What I'm saying is that being legallly in the right does not keep you safe at all. You need to go way beyond that and look out for yourself. If you ride a motorcycle, and think that because you were on the correct side of the road, or the light was green for you, everything will be alright, you are a fool.

Yes, it is a non-standard thing to have to deal with, but you should stay ready to do it. Unless you want to just give up and let stuff happen because it was "Your time to go". There are many who don't want to think that hard, or work that hard when they ride. To me, you can't stay safe decade after decade without setting the standards high. Other drivers and riders do wrong, clumsy, dumb, and illegal manuvers regularly. People only follow the rules by choice, and can veer out of a lane at any time. There is nothing but custom that keeps every oncoming car from drlving right into you. A driver has a stroke, gets distracted on their phone, argues with the kids in the back seat, or whatever, and drives right into you. And then you are dead because you didn't account for that. I do account for that, as much as I can. I think that a lot of riders don't. I do have that higher standard for myself.

If you don't want to have that higher standard, you might not be ready when the weird happens. I know that nothing and no one is perfect, but when I ride, I try to be. I've been riding sport bikes for 30+ years, including a decade lane splitting freeways into downtown L.A. I've also spent more that 100 days at the track, going a 65 day stretch without a crash. When I did crash, it was a mechanical issue where the front brakes locked up. That was still my fault for not doing a more thorough inspection than I did. All the while, others running at similar or slower speeds are getting maybe 5 days between crashes. I can't tell you how many downed riders or spinning bikes I've dodged. It seems that they drop like flies, some days. Then they blame it on cold tires, or wet track or whatever, instead of blaming themselves for clumsy input or not judging the available traction properly.

I put more in, and I get more out. I always say to myself, what would I do if a driver crosses the line? What if they run that red light? What if this guy I'm about to pass bins it?

I know full well that there are no sure bets, and that there could actually be something out of your control that happens to you, but you can very greatly reduce the likelyhood of one of these events catching you out if you are ready for it.

Bikes are dangerous, and you really have no protection greater than your own wits. No matter what the rules say, or the law says, you have the ulitimate responsibility for what happens to you. Give it up to "fate" or don't. You choose.

#18 ·
What I'm saying is that being legallly in the right does not keep you safe at all.
That's not what you were saying at all. And yes, you would have to be thick as pigshit to think that you will be fine if you follow the law. Holy shit man...:facepalm

#20 ·
:blink

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.