Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Floating rpm.. I've searched

624 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ccmhunt 
#1 ·
Okay so be I've never worked on a bike in any major way befor and i have just got a 97 600.. The problems I'm having are that the bike will fire no problem.. It will have a very hard time idling (but won't die) and after a few min or less of idle it will jump rpm up to about 6000 and stay there.. Some times it will drop back down but only sometimes.. And when idling if I rev it just the smallest bit it will jump rpm and stay there.. I also get popping when it's at 6000(think cuz it's lean) like my username says i do not know jack about bikes so any help would be great..

P.s I think it night be my tps?? :dunno

#2 ·
I doubt that it's a tps, they have almost no effect on a carbed bike, you can disconnect it at idle, and nothing changes.
Initially, not knowing anything else about your bike, I would look for vacuum leaks.
It's a 97 600,so I am assuming that unless someone has swapped model years, your carbs do not have solenoids, so that simplifies things.
I heck and make sure the manifolds are tight, that the carbs are seated fully into the manifolds, that the small line on the petcock is connected to the intake #3 under the carbs, that the airbox is sealed well.
Spray carb cleaned around everything while it is running and listen for fluctuations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.