Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

2013 gsxr 1000

28K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  elfeo1 
#1 ·
Debating on waiting to see what Suzukis does....Or go with the BMW s1000rr....

Thinking we should know more Mid September?

#2 ·
It will be the same as the 2012, no doubt. If nothing drastically changes in 2014, I'd wait another year or two years lol. But who am I?

I looked at a Ducati Streetfighter 1098 and was going to look at the S1RR. I had been looking at used bikes for about a year and then decided new in about Jan/Feb.

And here is my point. The Ducati only would have cost me $20 a month in full coverage. I couldn't believe it. I almost just went on a whim and bought it. But then I started looking into service. Every 7500 miles was a $1-1.2k visit to the dealer.

The S1 I debated about but then started thinking about owning a German vehicle out of warranty. They can be unaffordable. Whether by the cost of maintenance or piece of mind.

Just my two cents and it's a dime a dozen. If I made $100k a year, I'd be on one. :)

#7 ·
Man I don't know how they are going to survive in racing if they wait until 2015 to update the bike. I mean it's not doing well in WSB or AMA, I don't know about BSB or others. It's just long in the tooth and the onlyreason why they have sold so well now is because of the zero percent they were offering a few years ago.

#12 ·
I have ridden most of the 2012 liter bikes. Strictly as a street bike, the current GSXR 1000 is as good as anything out there. Now if your doing 9/10th runs down in Mexico, perhaps not, but hitting the twisties, cruising, anything in between, even track days, I liked the 2012 GSXR 1000 a lot better then the ZX-10. The ZX-10 has a way too tall first gear and seems to make less power until about 9000 RPM. I really liked the Aprillia RSV4 as it seemed very light, very solid and fast response from the chassis, probably my choice if price was not a factor. The KTM was another bike I liked a lot. They say it's down on power? Not at anything other then top end, because low and mid range on that bike is huge, feels much stronger then the ZX-10. The problem with the KTM was the transmission, clunky, the bike felt solid but overall was missing the smooth controls of the others, like the fit & finish was a bit outdated.

Another bike I really liked was the Triumph 675R. It was like everything that makes the R6 such a great bike, but with everything wrong with the R6 fixed. Like an R6 with the motor from the GSXR 750, but no weight gain

#13 ·
A superbike is very diferent from a normal bike....

I made some moods to my K5 and other from the top end that the zx10r and S1000r has on me, and of course the ABS.... I will wait for the 2015 or get a zx10r.

My friend has a zx10r with exhaust filter and reflash and eats for lunch s1000r with similar moods.

#16 ·
Karns,
the zx10r will have few more ponies up top also put a good headwork on a zx10r and some parts and will be a monster...

its a fact the zx10r is a more modern powerplant.

#17 ·
dont disagree with you up top but the gsxr still makes 12-15 more hp/ 8-10ftlb more torque even stock up to 10k rpm but with cams (no head work) it is the exact same up top but still destroys the 10r and the bmw up to 10k. witch makes it way more fun to ride. im also comparing a flashed 10r w/exhaust and a bmw w/exhaust.

i have not personaly seen a crank faliure on the 09-11 only read about 6-8 posts about it. i havent completed any bottom end work on a 12 so i cant say if the oil/crank system is any different. i have talked in detail to some folks in the know at suzuki/yosh. there feeling is there is no "issue". they told me there was a few "isolated" racing incidents on modified motors. that leads me to belive that. they dont feel the need to change the system the way it is delivered to the consumer.

jason

#18 ·
Karn.... I disapear a BMW but when you get in those 270km/h + races here those bmw come in the rear mirror closing on....

not changing the subject since I know most of the people dont use those 10k rpms up....

I realy think suzuki should do 2 things at least.... get better cams and ABS and the bike will be fenomenal....
with 10hp more up to 10k and abs will destroy all the magazines reviews... put a full exhaust and a bazzaz TC and ride....

#26 ·
I couldnt agree more with the fact that suzuki has just been going down hill to me. Ever since the 07/08 model. Im not being biased since i have a 07 1k. But, thats the reason i got it. Best motor suzuki has used in their 1k's. For instance my buddy has a 2009, the suspension isnt nearly as tuneable as the 07/08 its like a damn 600, its got cable clutch again, like why are we going backwards? Now im only the average track day rider, top speed run guy, and a few drag strips. I feel i have an all around skill set. Now ive dynod my bike several times. 173/175/183/187/179/169 all different numbers. But ive seen quite a few charts of the 2012 with same mods as me barely getting into the 170 mark. Ive been a suzuki fan boy since i started riding on a 06 gsxr 600. All ive ever known is that suzuki wasnt the best in cornering but no one could catch em in a straight and now thats all wrecked. Suzuki is getting dropped off the planet by everything. BMW S1000RR smoking the fuck out of a busa in all categories, smoking the zx14 in all categories. this is all bikes from factory. smoking the zx10 and gsxr 1000 in all categories. categories to me in power wise. 0-60, 0-100, top speed. 0-100-0. ZX10R is smoking the gsxr and busa in drag races. I mean really? Thats all ive ever heard is suzuki is the straight line killer and now wtf are they even known for? Sure SBK AMA and all that shit, idc. Its all regulated to shit. So its not even allowing the better bikes ZX10R and S1000RR to use what they come with from factory. If they were able to, Id put money down everyone would be running them. Drag races arent regulated. And ive seen a few S1000RR's at the drag strip already and guess whos winning? those two. I mean I never bought my gixxers for cornering if i was looking for that id have gone with an R1, or the new BMW S1000rr, or CBR or even went after the new 1198 Panigale S. But no i wanted speed. I like racing other bikes, and now simply Suzuki is getting their asses handed to them. I was hoping the 2012 would be Gods jack off hand, but fuck no that thing is probably the worst bike ive ever seen suzuki come out with. I leave for afghanistan in a few months and ill be there till 2014 and if Suzuki doesnt bring something extraordinary to the plate, you can damn well bet im dropping my 1k off and picking up the beast itself the BMW HP4. Sure its a few thousand more than a GSXR 1000 new. BUT the HP4 has everything except a power programmer already on it, race lightweight rims, carbon fiber body, full akra exhaust, fully race ready adjustable rearsets, suspension has been completely upgraded to basically tune itself, full new brakes, and the same motor as the s1000rr. They claim its a full race ready street bike. that you can take it straight from the factory to a track and with the skill obviously have a fully performaning bike. Id rather spend the few extra dollars getting everything then spending like 8 or more extra grand to get all that shit on a GSXR 1000. Just not keeping up in my opinion. Now im not buying it for 100% track i want to do drag, top speed, and track days, but id rather not spend a shit ton on all the extra parts when it comes with it.

#27 · (Edited)
The Gixxer is still a good bike. Yeah, I will admit they are behind the curve compared to the other bikes now days that have all that fancy traction control, ant-wheelie mechanism, blah blah blah. Gixxer is still solid without that stuff, but be patient, they will have all that accompanied with a steeper price tag. Then, we will be complaining about something else.

The BMW HP4 is a nice bike I must say, but to me $24K is just to high. Buy you Gixxer, spend about $5K extra on motor work and no HP4 will touch you. But if you want to get the HP4 to be different, then nothing wrong with that either.

#28 · (Edited)
The GSX-R1000 is a great no frills budget race bike platform with a huge range of aftermarket go bits to choose from compared to the other brands. Hence why a lot of privateers choose them. Also as there are so many around there is a good supply of good cheap used parts on ebay. Compare that to the BMW where there are virtually no used parts on ebay.

If you want something all done for you by the factory and have the money buy the BMW. If you want to build your own (race or toy race) bike buy the GSXR. If you want a good reasonably priced stock bike to putter around the streets and don't want to change it buy the CBR1000RR.

#29 ·
Streetbike or race bike? Race bike? Probably the beemer. Street bike? GSXR or I really like the Triumph 675 R

I spent 1/2 a day on a new ZX-10R. It's really fast at high RPM, but around town it feels no faster then my 2003 GSXR 1000. The ZX-10 is geared too tall and makes it's power way up high Compared to my old gixxer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.