Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Yoshimura TRC Exhaust Silencer Removal

49K views 56 replies 37 participants last post by  TeflonTrout 
#1 ·
I am wondering if I were to remove the Silencer out of my Yoshimura TRC Carbon Fiber pipe, what would be the overall result, besides increase in sound? :_confused1:

Affect gas mileage?

Any other performance concerns!?!

Please bring your expertise to the table.

Thank you!

#3 ·
i called yoshimura directly and spoke with one of their technical experts and they said that removing the silencer would not affect gas mileage or performance - only the level of sound.

so....i initiated, facilitated, and completed the task of removing the silencer out of my Yoshi TRC Carbon Fiber Exhaust. it took about an hour from start to finish. not bad at all, for an increase in presence awareness.

are you thinking about doing it too?

#6 ·
details and link with pic's

i am happy with the results for sure. :punk

here is a link that i referenced that was a bit of help too.

http://hitesh.dewan.googlepages.com/cuttingapipedown

keep me posted on what you decide and the outcome as well.

hope this helps!!!
:burnout

NOTE: if you should decide to remove the silencer, let me know and i can share with you a few additional points to review, prior to beginning the project.

#7 ·
Well, i decided to take this adventure on tonight with my TRC slipons...

When i put the "stock" yoshis on out of the box, it was no where near the sound i was wanting. So removing the silencer was a must. It wasn't that hard after i got the first one done and figured out the trick. I believe i am going to get a Y-Pipe and remove the cat to get the sound im really looking for.

Tips:

Drill all the rivet heads out.
Knock all the centers out of the rivets.
Drill the rest of the rivet out.
-- Doing it in that order took less time for me.
Cut the grey sealant, what a pain..
Pull the end cap off, take out the allen screw.
Pull the silencer out with pliers.
Pull the baffle off to get the all the rivet pieces out of the can.
-- WARNING, this could cause you issues getting the packing lined back up, it was a risk i was willing to take to get the rivets out. I had no issue putting the baffles back on.
Put baffle back on, put endcap back on, re-rivet (3/16's), re-install pipes, rever' up.

The above tutorial was helpfull as well, thanks.

#8 ·
baffled!?!

Pull the baffle off to get the all the rivet pieces out of the can.
-- WARNING, this could cause you issues getting the packing lined back up, it was a risk i was willing to take to get the rivets out. I had no issue putting the baffles back on.
Put baffle back on, put endcap back on, re-rivet (3/16's), re-install pipes, rever' up.
i am glad things worked out for you as well.

you mentioned about your pulling the baffle off to remove the rivet pieces in the can!?! help me on this one please. baffle being where? inside the tube? :scratch

for me, i did not remove the rivet pieces as from what i've heard, they just get wedged into the insulation and packing and are no issue at all, but i am interested in what you did specifically. got any pics of the baffle?

please let me know when you get a moment.

thanks!

#9 ·
I am referring to the piece in the end of the can the silencer sits in. I was not going to risk having the rattle of 8 rivets in there, so i took them out.

Im not saying anyone has to, just that i did.

If you look at the link above, it has pictures. In the picture where he is pulling the silencer out with the pliers, the piece i am referring to is in that picture.

#11 ·
Peformance shouldn't, gas mileage yes. Once its removed i will have the bike put on a Yoshi Box and reconfigured to adjust for the loss of the cat.

#14 ·
I took the advice for the forum on removing the silencer; I simply removed the pipe by detaching the two springs and removing the allen screw, after that I took a broom and push the silencer out ( it was that simply- took 4 minutes). It is my understanding that you have to remove the rivets only on the carbon fiber model. The sound is much better without the silencer.:cheers

#17 ·
On the RS3 you can get to the allenhead screw at the end of the Muffler. Remove the screw & the baffle pipe slips right out.

#18 ·
TRS Exhaust Silencer Removal

Would the same method apply to the TRS carbon pipe as well? I am looking for a better sound from my Yosh pipe too. I was originally going to cut down the silencer but I dont like the look of the TRS shortys with the standard endcaps. Removing the silencer is a great alternative to me. Below is a pic of the the TRS muffler I have..the one with the long name plate. I searched by could not find any info for the TRS.

Lastly, this may be a silly question but which part is the baffle? Is is the perforated metal tube inside the muffler? Any pics of one? The guide mentioned in an earlier post kinda skips pictures where the baffle is removed.

#19 ·
Re: TRS Exhaust Silencer Removal

Would the same method apply to the TRS carbon pipe as well? I am looking for a better sound from my Yosh pipe too. I was originally going to cut down the silencer but I dont like the look of the TRS shortys with the standard endcaps. Removing the silencer is a great alternative to me. Below is a pic of the the TRS muffler I have..the one with the long name plate. I searched by could not find any info for the TRS.

Lastly, this may be a silly question but which part is the baffle? Is is the perforated metal tube inside the muffler? Any pics of one? The guide mentioned in an earlier post kinda skips pictures where the baffle is removed.

can you email me a picture of the open-ended view of the exhaust? i cannot tell from the picture you attached how it may be designed, but i am willing to try.

i'll await your picture.

thanks~

#29 ·
Is the silencer in there or not?

#21 ·
i would advise you to call Yoshimura directly and ask them about the "silencer" in that pipe. From the picture, i am not seeing the same internal silencer as was in my TRC pipe, so i am a bit unsure as how to advise you.

let me know what you find out.

by the way, where are you in florida?

hope this helps!

#23 ·
Apparently, mine has already been removed per the Yosh rep I just spoke with. :( She said that the insert can be seen when looking into the outlet as the picture I last posted. The pipe was on the bike when I purchased it so I dont have any history on it.

She informed me that it is the same insert on most Yosh models including the TRC TRS and RS3 and that the stock noise levels are ~96db and ~102db with the insert removed.

I am pretty sure that this 'insert' is the same insert as the baffle mentioned by everybody in this thread.... so.... Insert = baffle?

My pipe doesnt seem very loud at all for a 1k and has a bit of a raspy sound compared to some other bikes I've had and heard. It is a full system too.

Well...maybe I need to cut the can after all...!

#28 ·
Need some help here;already took out the Allen screw and tried to pull that bastard but is not coming out, already used some pliers and bended the baffle/insert edges.Is mine welded?

#31 ·
oo ok

#32 ·
The TRC for the 2008 600 & 750 does not require removal of any rivets. All you have to do is remove the rubber grommet and get a 5mm key and viola... silencer gone :)

#33 ·
Oh yeah. The sound of the TRC is shit on the 2008 750s. I want to return mine :thumbdown

#36 ·
yeah the new trc's which i have now:punk have a hole for getting to the allen screw. Yosh just started it about a month ago. here is a pic of someones.

#39 ·
So with the new TRCs having a predrilled hole and plug to get at the allen screw, wouldn't people with the older model just be able to do the same? Drill an appropriate hole to get at the allen screw and put in a plug. If your that anal about the looks, I would think Yoshi would sell the plug, seems like it would be an easy item to lose.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.