Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

To rattle-can or not + cosmetics

3K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  THE SRADIATOR 
#1 ·
My bike is now mechanically sound HURRAY! All thanks to this community. Now that the bike is safe and fun to ride I can focus on the cosmetic stuffs =).

At the moment the bikes fairings are PWC dull black. I purchased the cheepest fairings I could find. All were damaged so I repaired them and gave them a quick/ugly/free rattle-can paint job.

The frame is plain alumium

The front wheel is like metalic silverish / dark blackish oem painted and the rear wheel is alumium with the same middle to match.

I would like to powder coat the frame and swing arm (prolly black), however Ive yet to find a place that'll do it locally.

Currently I dont have a air compressor and I'm reluctant to rent one for this project. If I paint this thing myself it'll be done by rattle can.

My biggest debate is if I should repaint all the fairings, clear coat them, and put stickers on it... OR.. Buy a new full fairing set.

Ive been eye balling a few sets on ebay and there is only a few that come close to what I would like... But nothing is "perfect" Im very suprised to find that only about 3 of the complete sets listed there use a red 'R'. Only reason I havent boughten them is if Im going to spend nearly 600$ for peices of plastic... they should be worth the price.

Im confident I could do a nice job at painting the fairings any solid color with rattle can. I dont know where I can obtain the stickers or even a roll of some form of vinyl sheets to make cut outs. Plus, I suck with stencils.

Any advice/opinions/experiance or any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

And for the other stuff....

I think I will have to wait till I take photos to ask about the other stuffs :shifty

See less See more
#31 ·
Just wrap it in some 3M Di-Noc! no need to paint comes in all different shades too

#32 ·
Metokote corporation in grovetown ga. Google it. Its listed as being in your area. Yes, I'm bored.

#33 ·
My latest piece that was rattle-canned:

#34 ·
I think its just the temperature causing my experiance to be so misurable. It looked awsome with the first coating.. I should have just stopped then. But after the 2nd coat is applied the paint has just been wrinkling up... Only reason I can think of is bc of the cold

#35 ·
That's your problem, I have been painting inside of my apartment

#37 ·
I tape off the plastic room, then open the window. This place has never smelled of paint for longer than 30 minutes :lol

Should clarify, I've got a 2 bedroom, it's not like I'm painting where I sleep

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.