Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Wheel Swap out

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tas1100g 
#1 ·
First off, hello, I'm new here. Just picked up an 87 GSXR 750. Had some mods, couldn't pass it up as a winter project for the price.

I was looking into a wheel swap, and I checked the interchange chart, and want to go from the stock 18 to a 17 but I don't know where to start. Where do I start? Do I need to mod the forks? Do I swap bearings around, and if that's the case, where do I get the bearings I need? My most involved project prior to this was my Hurricane which just needed me to replace the carbs and she ran fine. Thank you for your time

#2 ·
msut use search function
pleanty of topic about

but:
common swap
complet rear wheel (using your 220mm disc)
4.5 from 88-89 750 or 1100 89
5.5 750 90>95 1100 90>98 all rf 900 , all gsx1200 inazuma)and all bandit 12

front wheel and disc (disc not from rf 900 or b12)
gsxr 750 88>95
gsxr 1100 89>98
all bandit 12 1th gen
all gsx 1200 inazuma
all rf 900
(also bandit 12 2nd gen are good but you lost speedometer mount on font wheel)

rear bering don t need to be touched
front must be swap (or spacer o.d. 20mm)
on your fork 750 caliper are for 300 mm
must look for 86>88 1100 front caliper (not easy ti find!!!)

my 20 cents get a complet front end from gsxr slinghshot faster-cheaper-eayser

#3 ·
I'm in the middle of this wheel swap now on my 86 1100.

The rear wheels use the same bearings as the axel rod for both are 20mm. However, on the 89 750 17" wheel the rotor side spacer's OD is approx. 46.88-46.90mm but my 18" wheel spacer is only 40.20mm. looks like I'm going to need a spacer that is a little wider. This spacer did not come with the 17" wheel when I bought it.

On the Cush drive, the 17" drive is a little wider where the sprocket sits on the drive compared to the 18" wheel Cush drive. Although it appears the overall width of both cush drives are nearly the same. As the interchange chart states the Cush drives are not interchangeable and I found this to be true. Because of the wider 17" Cush drive this will align the rear sprocket to the outside edge of the front sprocket if that makes sense to you.

I may run into some other issues along the way but will figure it out as I go.

I also had to change the rear rotor over as the 18" wheel sprocket OD is smaller than the 17" rotor.

Haven't gotten into the front wheel yet but I know I'll have to change the front wheel bearings to match the 15" axel rod versus the 20mm axel rod that came with the 17" wheel.

If anyone sees any errors on my part at this time please let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.