Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

New member total noob just bought a 600srad

3K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  Scotty1 
#1 ·
Hi every one Im new here so you may have to bare with me lol, I recently bought a y reg 600 srad for £1500 21000 miles, full history, it's real tidy but after I had a quick blast she started tickin I fink its the cam chain tension from doin a search but like I said I'm a total noob. Some one point me in right direction plz! Lol
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

See less See more
#5 ·
Hello mate where in the UK you from. Welcome to the forum vast knowledge base here

#12 ·
#14 ·
Just a thought but with only 21k on the clock, why would the standard cct go???

#27 ·
I bought mine @ 24730 and the cct was shot. It never made the sound when the PO took it in until about the 4th time and they figured it out. He didnt want to spend the money to fix it, so he took the repair cost they quoted him off the asking price (they quoted ~$350..i got it done for ~$220) :p

#15 ·
Thanks.. I couldn't do that myself lol how long does this type of job take to do if you no what your doin or your a mechanic? It may not be the cct it's only from what I've read, when the bikes cold it does not make any noise but onced it's warmed up proper it rattles but not when I rev it up?

#18 · (Edited)
Ideal a hour in the garage plus parts shouldn't be to expensive then about 90-100 quid I think it will be, I'd much rather let some one that knows what there doin lookin at it then tryin it myself. It's a tidy bike I'd end up scratching the fairings and all sorts if I tried it lol. Thanks I'm not sure if the rims r original I assume they are.
Thanks for every 1s help.

#19 ·
There are many here who didn't know what they were doing who installed them and have gone on to do more work on their own bikes.

IMHO if your gonna have the cct fitted in a garage then have the valve clearances done at the same time, will cost a bit but they will have the valve cover off anyway.

In plymouth your best bet will be 2 wheel technics out at marsh mills, they have been there for years and looked after many a Srad for road and track. Not the cheapest but worth it for his knowledge.

#20 ·
I no what ur saying the only way I'm goin to learn is doin it myself but I've ruined past bikes working on them my self, I just want to keep this one nice this time lol

I will defo get the valves done at same time because the seller did mention they may need doin. Ive used 2 wheels for my mots it's only 2mins down the road from me. Ideal! Thanks very much any idea how much it will cost to get the valves done also? Cheers

#21 ·
Download the service manual from WWW.carlsalter.com use the sticky any problems post up here before you go any further. This place has helped me loads in the few months. Patience is the key.

#22 ·
I've rang round a few garages n they said they wasn't sure about it being the cam chain tension because normally there are noisy on cold start n I only get a rattle once it's warmed through. Can this be my cct or something more serious? I hope not :-(

#23 ·
Record the sound and post it on here.

#25 ·
I'm off Wed + Thu so send me a PM if you want and I can have a listen in person depending on what i'm up to.
Do a search and you will find many threads with Sradiator/Ccmhunt/Freak (to name a few) describing the sounds and when the engine will make them.
IIRC its more on decel than when the engine is under power as the slack will slap against the insides.

#28 ·
Ape cct only cost £45ish...:wacko

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.