Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

FRANKENGIXER... vol. I (crispics)

79K views 503 replies 76 participants last post by  gotgixers 
#1 ·

Well, I'm a noob on this site... but I rode my first GSXR 750 in Japan back in 1985, and I knew one day I would own one of those beasts. Well, as it turns out, nearly ten years later... I'd be chunking down $3050.00 at my local dealer for a slightly bunged-up '86 1100, as a segue from my second GS750E. (To be scanned from POLAROIDS later...:shifty)

Anyway... the original had the complete Supertrapp exhaust (FIRST thing I wanted to lose...) and had been dropped in a minor spill, and had some rough plastic. I was hangin' out at the dealer a lot, trying to squeeze more out of my GS, which was already pretty strong at that time... when the original '86 showed up one day... and before the day was done, I'd brought him down from $3500. Honestly, I didn't even care about the price... I just wanted the bike instantly.

...several years later...

Here it is, back in '97... at which time I'd had it for a number of years, and made a few "enhancements". I happened across BOTH this B&W photo WITH the list (almost the same time-frame... photo is earlier than complete list at that date) and decided to scan and post them as the first leg of my story. I'll try to pluck out more old pics and put them in this thread. The Frankengixer comes with several a tale of my own wonderment... this mating of "Godzilla with The FLY"! Later, I hope to post the NEXT major build list and equally sordid foray into bigger bore. Somewhere... I have the internals photos, I think...

Hope it finds a chord or two out there... it is inexplicably entrenched within my life experience... and continues, in slumber, just awaiting it's next rumble to back to life.

-crisp

See less See more
#342 ·
This was a direct email contact and his (at least anticipated for me) level of quality was the reason I reached out to him. The deal has already been struck and I was curious about what the typical lead time might be so as not to unduly pester the guy.

I have no problem waiting, especially since in a month or two us folks in northern North America will be entering the long waiting season. I have two bikes and two piles of parts (and parts on the way :punk) just waiting on the great freeze-in and with heat in the shop now I'm going to be very busy/happy during that time.

#347 ·
Looks like some good bits on that engine.

What's with the ghost cat sniffing the tail door of your truck in the 2nd photo :eek:hmy

LOL! That is the "neighborhood cat... Kitters". The ghosting is from the two-layer image my HDR app causes on a slow-double-shutter release. ;)

Yes, good bits in this one. 1255cc Domed Wiseco 83mm kit in pressed-sleaved APE Big-Block, Carrillo Rods, cut-gears, Yosh cams, head-work, Total-Seal, Sims & Rohm bits, etc... Should be fun on the street! :D

Toy Space Fictional character

Plan to try the 40's this time...

-crisp

#348 ·
Human Hand Furniture Photo caption Room

This is why you don't share what goes on in your shed, shack, garage, barn, shop, cabin or imagination with the wife...

...because that's the wrong kind of blower to be taking to bed with you at night.

On a more serious notes... I have more parts to hide, but sneaking around near Christmas with parcels is easy... :D

Charlie-Brown-crispmastree

Tree Christmas decoration Christmas ornament Home Christmas lights

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! :)

-crisp

#356 ·
Thanks for sharing crisp!

I just have to ask. In another thread someone said that riding a 1340 OC and a new 1000 . "the 1340 felt like it was tied to a tree compared to a 1000".

You are the only guy i know that owns both. Ok maybe its not a 1340 but close.

Is it really that big of a difference?

#357 ·
Rodriguez,

My prior build was the same block & pistons and bottom end, with much less skill and quality head work. The bike ran even with early Hayabusas until 145-155mph range, then the bus carried more legs for longer. My thousand is tweaked enough to out-run the Busas in nearly all conditions, unless they are built.

This build should net a good 20-25hp more than last, with better torque throughout. I gear tall because if you have enough motor to pull it through the five speed, less shifts and looong legs at flat torque curves can really surprise the newer bikes. You will never net the almost "twitchy-sharp" response of a well tuned fuel injected bike, but once you are on the motor and pulling like a loco... on/off transition becomes mute.

I expect this build to run with new machinery in open roads. Think about it... newer bikes aren't getting that much 'quicker' in the quarter. Once traction is your limit... you are sloughing off everything over that threshold. Anything in the 160-170bhp range is a beast on the street... and will run competitive unless you are going for superior stand-up-torque-power-wheelie-demonstration-bragging rights in fourth and up. Leave that for the boosted mental types that giggle as they leave smouldering rubber in top gear.

I suspect Frankengixer will be a formidable machine in it's own right... and carry more character with it as well.

(On another note... guys who have ridden it a dozen years ago still talk it up over the modern bikes they've ridden since. It's no paper weight to be sure.) :D

Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Rim

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Machine

Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Chopper Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Spoke Automotive tire

More parts coming together... :)

-crisp

#358 ·
PS: I will post dyno charts and GoPro vids both alone and dicing with my thou when it's done. We'll try to quantify a better response with visceral data... then it will at least leave less to speculation or the imagination.

...if you are ever my way... you can just ride it for yourself. ;)

-crisp

#361 ·
No problem Rodriguez, thanks for taking an interest and commenting!

On another note, I just read several other posts in oldskool zooki threads with comments from guys with built oilers who have stated they surprised newer machines (R1's, ZX10's, GSXR 1k's, Fireblades and such) with acceleration superiority on the street. I can't say the mods, but they are likely extensive to do so... but so is my build. I wouldn't claim overall par in performance, especially chassis, braking, handling, etc... but monster torque that the FI fare can't match does come up the common theme. (Of course, and again... the TURBO fella's are in a different realm, whatever the year inducted!) :D

-crisp

#369 ·
LOL! No doubt! That is my "cottage/cabin" that is currently vacant... (except the one-eyed cat "Oneye" who hangs out there and a bunch of bike parts/project/clutter...

Floor Room Flooring Workshop Hardwood

Cat Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Domestic short-haired cat Tree

Here's my actual "People Home" for the family and wife! (NO motorcycle parts allowed inside!)

Vehicle Car Sky House Property

Yeah, my wife would KILL me if a bike project migrated into "HER" house! (That's why I kept the cottage... for jammin' to tunes and as a project "man-cave"...) :D

-crisp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.