Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Master link question

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  oldgixxer 
#1 ·
Can a clip style master link be riveted? I bought a used K7 and the chain was replaced, but I just noticed it has a clip style master. I've used the pro motion tool I have a few times so I am good with that, just don't know if I can rivet the clip link.
If not, how do I figure out what type of chain I have?
Thanks,
John

#2 ·
No. The rivet type have a hollow
End designed to rivet. The clip has a groove that likely will not distort properly and thus be dangerous.

The chain should say on the main links what kind it is. Look on both sides carefully

#6 ·
+1 to the above. You just need to make sure you get exactly the same master rivet link as the chain as the specs between different models are different. So just ensure you get the exact same rivet link as the chain. Too often we see dealers chuck any rivet link at any chain and that shouldn't be done.

#7 · (Edited)
So i ordered a 520 MVXZ EK blue chain the other day and a -1 +2 driven sprocket kit the other day for a 06 GSXR 750 and it came with a clip style master link. Is that a common thing with that chain and should I be calling the shop back that I ordered from to bitch them out or is that a EK chain screw up thing that you have to special order a rivet style master link? You say that you can't just rivet that clip style link either hey?

#8 · (Edited)
I looked on Ek chains website after and it says that the rivet style is standard with this chain. Don't know why it would come with a clip style. Guess I will have to call the shop I ordered from and see what is up. Sucks cause now I can't even put it on till I get another link and I need a blue rivet link to go with the chain. I am in Canada or I would have just ordered from motomummy, cause I know your site says every chain is standard with rivet style master link, but it was way cheaper from a local shop in Canada as I don't have to worry about duty and shipping is 13 bucks.

#10 ·
You can put it on, if your set on riding the weekend just put it in and order a rivet style. Running a clip style for a bit isn't going to hurt anything unless your an idiot and put the clip on the wrong direction. I run rivet and clip style have yet to have an issue with either. I know there is tons of debate and I'm not arguing that the rivet style is the better option and gives you a sense of insurance but a clip style link put in correctly and safety wired will be just fine till you get a rivet style.

#9 ·
Motomummy pulls the clip links out and replaces them for all their customers.

You wont find a blue master. It'll be silver.

$13 was worth not having the hassle you do now ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.