Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Gutting srad stock muffler?

6K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Apok 
#1 ·
I've been searching for weeks on this subject. I am not in a position to buy a slip on this season so I was curious about gutting my stock muffler. (I'm getting married in June so I will be castrated if I spend any more money on my bike). I want to gut it so the bike is louder ( loud pipes save lives!) and could care less about the horse power gains, i just dont want to lose any ponies. I've looked inside the muffler and it seems like I can just cut out the first chamber no problem. I'm wondering what (if any) complications will arise with the tune of the bike and such.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Ever drove in a car and a Harley passes you and only when he is in front of you do you actually start to hear him?
The loud pipes save lives really gets blown out the window when you are in a car. Even with the radio down low, my friend on his headers only 1k.. That did not "save his life" by any means.

#7 ·
Sorry about your friend.
I'll take anything to help my presence on the road. I will become a contributing member to the site. I have been a part of a car forum for a long time and had a great relationship with everyone on there for years and had no one pushing me to become a contributing member.. Kind of sh*tty that one of my first experiences on this site is a seasoned rider trying to get me to buy in to the site instead of offering some advice... Now that I've flamed myself for life on here I hope I can actually get a response to my post.

#19 ·
It`s just a precautionary measure to weed out the folks who only sign up here to find a part and leave with no intent of contributing to the site as a whole, whether it be a $monetary$ contribution or simply your presence here. It`s not that we just want you to pay...we as individuals do not make any money from you but the site it`s self thrives from these contributions.

It also shows that your serious about being a part of this site and not just someone who comes in makes a thread, gets what they want and never comes back.

#11 ·
You will lose horsepower.
You wont gain any power
You wont gain any safety

What you will gain is a raspy sounding, poor performing exhaust, that sounds bad and has gaps and weak spots in its power band. The bike will sound hollow and pretty much anyone serious about bikes will laugh at you when they do hear you ride by.

#14 ·
Pretty much what op wanted :shifty :lol

#16 ·
Thanks for the reply's guys.
I've found a 01' 750 headers and slip on for a good deal in my area.
Will the 750 headers bolt up to my 600 srad? I've searched for te answer but every list I find doesn't seem to cover srad exhaust compatibility.

#18 ·
You can find fairly cheap full systems used on eBay. It might take some searching but its a better option.

#21 ·
I completely understand. I'll be here for a very long time and plan on contributing to the site. I don't know how many members you guys have on here from Ontario Canada but I plan on hosting a few rides this year for MADD Canada.I have been organizing car meets for them in the Toronto area for a couple years now with great success.
Have just recently bought my Srad after dreaming of this bike since I sat on one in a show room in 2000. I was 12 and remember it like it was yesterday! And it has been a dream of mine to own a bike ever since I put my dads Paul Coffee rookie card in the spokes of bike when I was 5! Hahaha

#23 ·
Yes, 750 full system will bolt up. Dont forget once you get a full system you really need to get a fuel management device and map the bike for it.

#28 ·
I think I am one of the few of the senior members here that would agree with the statement that loud pipes saves lives... But it does not save you from riding like a jack ass...
I have seen the difference on our freeways with louder pipes. But I dont split lanes like a mad man. I keep a moderate pace (a few MPH faster then the flow of traffic at most) and many times people are able to hear me as I approach them. Granted, if you blast past cars, they will not hear you before they see you.

I think better then the volume of your pipe, it is better to ride with your high beams on all the time. Other drivers might not like it as much, but it REALLY makes you stand out to people.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.