Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

joe rocket alter ego 2.0

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  TOEJAM 
#1 ·
i was at my local suzuki shop and tryed this joe rocket alter ego 2.0 there. its a textile shell jacket & pants with a mesh underside and the jacket has a fleece jacket. i want something for winter. it normally doesn't get below 30°f here so i want something to keep me warm that isn't heated gear. does anyone here just textiled winter gear and give me some information on how durable this stuff is for winter?

#2 ·
I use textile gear, used all sorts of makes and as long as it is of a good quality it will be more than durable and will keep you warm. I back it up with some under thermals if needed.

#3 ·
I have a Joe Rocket Textile jacket. I ride at similar temps and haven't had a problem with a sweater under it & a bellaclava to keep the neck warm.

I can't speak for the pants, I use long johns, jeans & insulated wind breakers to keep the south end warm.

#4 ·
I have used the alter ego set in the winter in Maryland. Wear a sweater and a balaclava and you should be fine. The only thing that would make it better in winter is a full zipper on the waist.

#5 ·
Does that jacket have a liner? If not, you can purchase them seperately IIRC. The liner blocks all the wind and helps trap your bodyheat, that means a lot.

That jacket, with something like a turtleneck underneath it and you should be fine. If something else is needed, just add another layer. I have worn like 5 layers so i could ride in 17deg weather before.

#6 ·
#8 ·
I have the JR Meteor & also the Ballistic jackets. For cold weather the Ballistic is really nice as it's several inches longer than a normal jacket & slightly roomier to put a polartec shell along with the liner under it. It makes it much warmer when it's really cold. I have the Alter ego pants, & really like them. I wear the Ballistic for blowing snow in the winter also, it's a nice shit weather jacket.

#10 ·
That's exactly what I think of my Meteor for cold weather. The Ballistic is much warmer.

#11 ·
Has anyone tried the knox cold killer gloves? My hands are pretty much the only part of my body that get cold in winter. Ive tried other cheap hand warmers, but to no effect.

#12 ·
By far the best winter glove i have ever worn...
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=18902

And i dont even mean just for riding. I mean, i play in the snow in those gloves. I have had 2hr long snowball fights and my hands are still warm and dry. They are even better than non-riding winter gloves.

....but they have all the protection needed for riding. I have raced in those gloves before at the season opener when it was 35deg-ish.

But if i were going to buy some winter gloves right now, i would go with these:
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=11024

I have heard they are just as good/warm as the Alpinestars, but they have the Knox sliders in the palm...which is a very important feature to me.

#13 ·
those knox gloves look really tempting, but i was looking for a glove insert instead. Winter doesnt last long where i live, and im pretty comfortable with my current gloves.

Are the inserts worth it though?

#15 ·
I tried the inserts and dont like them. They get bunched up in my gloves, get on my nerves and drastically reduce my feel for the controls. I tried them a few times and never liked wearing them.

Those winter gloves from Knox and A* last forever. So while your winters might not be long, im pretty sure there will be a winter at least once every year. :D I only ride 5-10 times every year in weather cold enough to warrant those gloves. But when i do, they are worth their weight in diamonds.

IMO they are an investment that i will be able to use every year, for years and years and years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.