Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

PM Brakes and wheels

7K views 64 replies 20 participants last post by  BIT_IFFY 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have the opportunity to buy a bike that is running PM brakes and Wheels as well as a few other goodies.

I'm considering using them on my track bike. I've searched here about the wheels and see they are much lighter then what I'm currently running. So although I'm really not a fan of the looks of them, I may switch. But what about the brakes, are they better then the stock setup I'm currently running?

The next question is what are these things worth? Again, im not selling them, I'm buying them. If I buy them and decide at a later date to sell them, I'll post in the appropriate section.

Attachments

See less See more
#43 ·
There are 2 anodize/plating companies near me. I have been to both places and toured the shop.
The both have what they call a "Batch Fee". Basically what that is. As much or as little as you can fit in one batch of one color is the same price.
One place has a 400 cubic inch maximum and the other has semi truck pools of the stuff.

$75 at the smaller place and $90 at the more industrial, larger place. That's per batch.

I chose the smaller company just because they are a smaller company. Very personable and I just liked them.
They take care of all the prep so it doesn't matter how dirty or spotty they are. You will need to take All the steel out of whatever it is your doing. If you have a scratch before anodizing it will still be there after anodizing so you want to address any of that before hand.
Gold is the toughest and longest lasting and most able to be shaded than all other colors. Gold is an Inorganic and colors are Organic.
Black is the most unstable.
Anodizing also creates a harder surface area. So No it does NOT make the aluminum weaker.

#45 ·
Anodizing also creates a harder surface area. So No it does NOT make the aluminum weaker.
Well, as a blanket statement, I'd have to argue with this. As you know, there are several types of processes used to anodize aluminum. Some of them have a significant negative impact on the fatigue strength of the aluminum. It pays to get a little more familiar with the pros and cons of anodizing before handing a part to a shop.

JR

#55 ·
Bike looks great Marsh. You'll appreciate the way the PM's make the bike transition and handle. I don't really think they look all that great either but, the improvements are worth it.

Powdercoating them black definitely will make them much more subtle and less noticeable.

I think the Cyclones are heavier then the Chicanes but I could be wrong. Maybe JB can chime in as I don't know anyone else who has Cyclones.

#58 ·
I believe I've previously documented the weight of both Cyclone wheels ... somewhere in the forum. They're not bad at all... BUT they're street-weight rims. The weight of the rear was only calculated with the rim and tire only. I've since obtained a cush-drive, so that - along with a sprocket, rotor ... haven't been added to the overall weight.

I'll see if I can find the thread... or just weight them again. :thumbup

jb_xx

#61 ·
If you haven't already done so, buy the bike. The calipers and brakes are top notch. I wouldn't be ashamed to run those one bit. I used to rum PM chicane wheels on my old racebike. They were great. No rear cush drives and I liked it that way. I always felt it provided better feedback. I didn't have the calipers, though.

#62 ·
I have a set of red anodized 4 piston billet calipers on my 88 1100 ... Made a huge improvement ..... 1 fingered face plants here we come ... :chucks
The year after I finished this bike I bought a new softail so I could have something to ride with the wife .... so I had been riding that for a while when I decided to take the gsxr out .... Grabbed a little too much ft brake on my first stop sign ..... Used to trying to haul the Harley down .... Almost went over with the bike .... caught it just before flippin it .... Settled me right the fruk down... A whole new respect for PM brakes ....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.