Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Performance Machine - cush

12K views 54 replies 20 participants last post by  341 
#1 ·
Good evening.

Over the past few years, there has been much discussion about Performance Machines wheels... such as the Chicane, and Cyclone. These wheels come in both race AND street weights.

One point that continually comes up, is the question of a cush drive. I have attached 2 images with this thread. The first pic shows a Chicane wheel, sprocket mounted, and a very nice specimen. The 2nd image shows a Cyclone in need of some TLC ... BUT notice the circular "cush" drive mounted in the centre.

Let me mention that the first picture (PM Chicane) was from a local seller in Ontario. When asked about the "cush" drive ... I was told that the Chicane was a race wheel, and that the cush is built into the hub - below where the sprocket is bolted to the wheel. I've seen PM wheels before, and although I do not pretend to be an expert ... I am somewhat skeptical.

Perhaps we can have someone shed a little light on PM wheels ... and this will be the "sticky" that binds us all together.

Looking forward to your responses. BTW - Pics of your PM wheels are most welcome!!

Cheers.
jb_xx

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I had a set of PM Chicane's for one season. There is no cush drive. One ride and you would not need to ask that question.

The difference between the street and race version was the the thickness of the aluminum sheet used to form the wheel. Nothing to do with the hub. I had the street version and they were very heavy.

They look nice and very old school, but they are not a performance mod.

#5 ·
I currently have 3 sets of Chicane PM's. and have fit several more sets. 2 of my sets are Race" wheels ant 1 set is "Street" wheels. The race wheels are lighter and a lot easier to bent while doing tire swaps etc.
There is No cush drive on any of my sets. I have always used a cush front sprocket on my street bikes fitted with PM's.

I strongly disagree with Tillerpilot tho. They are most definitely a Performance Mod. They weigh half what stock wheels weigh. Even the street version is considerably lighter than stock.

Tell you what I will weigh a stocker, an 09 gsxr wheel, and a PM and take pics of all 3 to show the differences.

#11 ·
i tend to agree with Tillerpilot,,PM's are not exactly a performance mod,,,especially the street version which ways a ton..LOL...Marchesini's or magnesium anything else is probably a lot more of a performance mod,,,but the the PM is definitely a period correct wheel for our old gixxers,,,never did consider PM's a true race wheel,,

#12 ·
PM wheels are shown on a variety of bikes - Kawi/Yamaha/Suzuki, in racing, so they were considered for their lighter-than-stock weight. The street version isn't exactly a cow for weight ... but then again - it really isn't supposed to be imitating magnesium. Mag wheels for the street are just not advisable, particularly OLD mag wheels.

I recall a previous thread which discussed PM wheels - race & street weights vs. stock. Anyone care to post weights of their stock wheels: '85-'87 750 & '86-'88 1100 GSX-R ... as well as '88-'90 750. In a separate column, list the weights of your PM Chicane and/or Cyclone wheels... possibly with tires mounted less rotors weight.

This would be a good sticky - for future members looking for info. on the subject matter of Performance Machine wheels (re: 1st & 2nd gen GSX-R)

jb_xx

#15 ·
That's a pretty generalized statement, and considering what "some folks" choose to use on the street ... well, cars to bikes is like comparing apples to oranges Mario.

Race bike = extreme light weight, short term use, consistent excessive speeds, frequent maintenance and hefty parts turnaround.

Street bike = dependable parts for long term use

Choosing what type of bike to use, and how it's to be used (e.g. - street, dirt, combination track/street, or direct racing) directly relates to the parts you choose.

Aluminum rims can bend when encountering a large pothole. Magnesium rims, however, can crack and fail - leading to failure of the entire wheel. Such a failure can cause a rider to lose control of their bike. Magnesium rims need to be replaced more often than aluminum, but durability will degrade less with regular maintenance. The probability of an average rider inspecting magnesium wheels on a regular basis, and the cost associated with it - would deter the choice of using this compound.

Choosing OLD mag wheels for street riding (or even track-use), as previously mentioned... is an even greater gamble. Please note we're discussing motorcycles here, so whatever those car-guys want to do - is fine, just remember they have 4-wheels - with doors to a framed capsule. You know what happens when a wheel goes out on a motorcycle yeah? ... well, it ain't pretty.

It's fairly safe to say we won't be seeing mag wheels on mass-produced cars from the factory, anytime soon. Cost to the consumer, longevity, and durability - are just three factors into why that won't happen.

So ... anyone have some specs/pics of their PM wheels, mounted or otherwise?

Cheers.
jb_xx

#14 ·
That not running them on the street is a load of crap. I ran the 3 spokes on a 94 1100W for 6 years and 10K miles and 5 spokes on a TLR for 5 years and 9K miles and the person I ride with did about the same on a ZX7 and a TLR. My brother has them on a GSXR1000, with a ton of miles. Not a single issue and all of them are still on the road

It's the biggest improvement that you will ever make. It completely changes the bike. When you think that you want a new bike, just buy new Mags and it will put the smile back on your face.

The new forged aluminum wheels, like PVM makes, are so close to Mag. now, that you can run those with very little difference in weight, but saves a ton of money.

#16 ·
I guess Chuck Graves, Lockhart Phillips, Team Valvoline and Many others ran them because they are no lighter than stock wheels... :twitch

Maybe NOW! you can get lighter wheels like carbon fiber or some space alloy. That crap didn't exist back then. At least not for the average consumer.

Get in your time machine and go back to 1988 and put in an order and see where that takes you.

Period correct people! That is all we are interested in. :punk

Magnesium wheels are "Race Only" wheels. Not DOT. The manufacturers of these high end light weight wheels will tell you that when you buy them. What you do with them is your decision. They will live on the street. But they are not designed to take the abuse of pot holes and speed bumps etc. Has anyone got a set of (period correct) Mag wheels with a D.O.T stamp on them? :dunno I have never seen one but would like to if they exist.

Forged is the way to go for all around goodness.
What I think is a shame is that now PM. only makes Harley garbage and tuner crap for ZX14's and Busa. Call them and ask about the old stuff. Crickets. :banghead

#17 ·
This is a Street version of a PM Chicane 5.5 rear with an oldschool Dunlop 207. Rotor and sprocket ready to run. The tire is heavy by todays standards but this is what was available at the time.

This is a 2009 GSXR 750 rear 5.5 in ready to run condition with a modern Pilot Power on it.

I don't have any with the tires off but you can see there is a difference. I have a pm with modern Pilot Sports on them . If I get a chance I will remove them for some weights.

#24 ·
The biggest difference between the street and race version's is the thickness of the material, i still have a set of race wheels here, and will post the thickness's of the spoke area, as well as the edge.
Now as the cush drive, in 1996, when i bought the wheels that you have jb, the cush drives where not available. I am not sure when they where offered for sure!

#20 ·
I somewhat agree with that statement Garrett. If you're changing stock wheels to magnesium... for the street, as some kind of "competitive" mod ... well, who exactly is this competition? Different strokes for different folks I guess :dunno

The wheels that I have will be used for a non-race project, although there are some folks that vintage race ... and dependent upon their ability, love for the sport, personal income ... you'll always have someone looking to shave weight & time to be competitive. Vintage Road Racing here in Canada is alive and well. I regularly see Marchesini, Marvic, PM, Tecno, and Dymag wheels used on a variety of these bikes.

I really enjoy the vintage race scene, and the wonderful specimens brought from back of the garage to combat 4 times a year. Great stuff!

jb_xx

#22 ·
We need a better shot of that bsully. is this just a bolt on to the wheel? Think a regular non cush wheel could be used with this cush?

#28 ·
You guys are getting way to side lined by static weight. What is important is the wheels dynamic weight. Pm's have pretty heavy hubs so they have a lage amount of weight close to the axle but they have very light rim so there is little weight out by the bead area. This reduces the moment if inertia of the wheel so they spin up faster and don't have as much gyroscopic effect as a stock wheel.

Wheels are made to roll not sit static on a bathroom scale.

John

#30 ·
I have this PM wheel for my 87 project, it's a race lite and 6.25".
I have always used PM wheels on all my bikes and have used race lites on both the street and track and same with the street versions when they started making the two different types and also used them when they were made under the Mitchell Wheels name.
No cushdrive on any of those and never had any trans or drivetrain problems ever, maybe from prep-work I would do to the internals :dunno :shifty
I have PM Forged wheels for my 92 and they have a cush system.

O.T. I also have some of the RC componets spun wheels and they are nice quality but not a PM by any means no cush system on them.

Bill

Attachments

#32 ·
Rychen. That's a very interesting cush set-up, and nowhere near resembles a stock Suzuki cush drive. Is there any chance that you could take a few more pics, showing how the whole operation layers?... possibly from a side angle shot OR 3/4 angle? Would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
jb_xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.