Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

cheap tail light

2K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  Dcgixxxerguy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
You usually get what you pay for, but you never know. I also tend to stay away from "smoked" tail lights. I know they look decent, but I want my tail light as bright as possible so I don't get rear ended. That is my worst fear while riding. I want them to see that fucker from space if possible.

#3 ·
I hear that on the brightest possible tail light, they make a clear one too... don't think I've seen smoked so I honestly don't know how much it dims the lights but judging by your post I guess it's a lot? I was more worried about the price/retailer if anyone's got any take on that. All the reviews seem to be positive, but it could be BS spam from the retailer?

#4 ·
I placed a bid on the ebay ones today, same one just different seller, i Figured id give em a shot, if they absolutely suck then hey it was only $30, i'll let ya know more if ya want when i get em!

#6 ·
Heres what the MI law is:

MCL 257.686 requires a tail lamp to emit a red light plainly visible for at least 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle.
MCL 257.697 requires stop lamps to emit a red or amber light and be capable of being seen and distinguished from other lamps for a distance of 100 feet, including during normal daylight.If the cover you apply prohibits the lamp from meeting these requirements then it is unlawful.

#7 ·
definitely let me know how it is when you get it. I have the clear alternatives and I was thinking that maybe it had shit the bed when my r/r went out on me but now i'm not sure, but i might be in the market eventually anyway.

#12 ·
I've got the same tail light for my 03 600. The LED's make a difference, but then I went ahead and did my own license plate LED, and 2 other LED brake lights on the passenger pegs.

#14 ·
Wait till Saturday and I'll get a pic. I no longer have my bikes readily available due to my apartment not allowing bikes to be parked there. :sad

#15 ·
that's bullshit. did you use some of those light pods from autozone with the adhesive on the back and then run the wire up the peg or what?

#16 ·
Exactly, I got this in red

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-LED-light/_/N-4ai5?itemIdentifier=60050_0_0_

one 4" strip for each side, taped to peg using the 3M on them, and ran the wires to the taillight wiring. I love it, and use it mostly to tap my brakes before stopping to get the attention of people behind me. The license plate light is nice too, it lights up my plate really well, and then leaves a white accent lighting in the ground behind me at night.

Any little thing to get noticed more on my street bike

#17 ·
for my license plate light I used the bolt with the LED in it from cyclegear, I made my plate mount from some piece of metal I got from home depot and used some vise grips and pliers to bend it. what did you use for the plate light? I don't think I've seen it at autozone

I might go ahead and do the auxiliary brake lights. like you said... anything to get noticed, especially with my SWEET custom paint job... people are constantly overlooking me at night :eek:hmy

#18 ·
for my license plate light I used the bolt with the LED in it from cyclegear. I might go ahead and do the auxiliary brake lights. what did you use for the plate light? like you said... anything to get noticed, especially with my SWEET custom paint job... people are constantly overlooking me at night :eek:hmy
4" White LED, same thing as the reds. They are water-resistant, per the packaging, so rain shouldn't damage them, but dipping the bike in a pool might. :lol

#19 ·
ah I see, where did you stick it?

this is my license plate bracket so I'm not sure how I could do it to mine, but I have since made that little piece of metal a right angle instead of perpendicular to the ground

edit: i guess i could just stick it right on the undertail to make it like yours but i don't know fond of that idea i am...

#20 ·
edit: i guess i could just stick it right on the undertail to make it like yours but i don't know fond of that idea i am...
They are pretty low profile, but you can always buy the set, see how you like it without actually mounting, and if it's not for you, return it. :thumbup

#22 ·
Exactly what I've got on mine, it's nice a bright, looks good too!

#24 ·
I'm going to wire the led strips to the turn signals with some 50V/1A diodes and make them brake lights and turn signals

Line Text Parallel Diagram Rectangle

#25 · (Edited)
here's how I actually did it if anyone is interested in doing the same thing, they are 50V 1A silicon diodes:

Text Line Diagram Font Parallel

all i've shown is the hot wires. everything obviously has to be grounded. you could probably accomplish the same thing with some sort of relay more efficiently... but whatever. this worked and radioshack had the diodes on hand. I believe the diode between the Y and the brake light wire is extraneous but I'm not positive.

I'm going to start a thread for this...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.