Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

How long until your voltage regulator rectifier takes a shit? 06-07 gsxr 600

41K views 77 replies 48 participants last post by  Samantha750 
#1 ·
How many miles do you have on your bike with the stock voltage regulator rectifier? I had about 5k when mine took a shit. I am suprised the damn thing didn't catch on fire. All the wires were melted and the back of the regulator was roasted. I had to spend $130.00 on a new one + a new battery. Seriously.. fuck suzuki for not recalling that shit! I hear this is a very common problem.

Does anyone know of a solution to fix the problem?

#61 ·
Alfalfa, good to hear from you again old friend!

I ran the cable there for a while to try it and in the end I went back to the stock location, which is around the outside of the front of the frame and back in the section where the rec/reg now sits.

And it hasn't melted yet either side. You're very observant, can't slip anything by you.

#64 ·
Add another voltage regulator fire to the count.... 2007 GSX-R 750 with less than 6K on it. Luckily I was able to get the fire out before it took over and led to my full tank of gas... almost feel like I wanna start a class action suit over this. That F'in fire could have cooked my leg... along with my bike.

#65 ·
That F'in fire could have cooked my leg...
Only if you weren't smart enough to get off of it :).
along with my bike.
It's happened.

Generally I don't see how you couldn't smell the 'burning electrical' smell before it got to the point of bursting into flames, but I suppose it could go from normal to on fire pretty quickly depending on how, exactly, it failed.

Either way, at least you got it put out - hopefully not a whole lot of damage?

#71 ·
There are some horrible stories on here. It blows my mind that Suzuki hasn't done a recall.

My r/r went as well. 17k miles 07 GSXR750 living in Ohio. I hit the issue of it draining my battery and not melting or catching fire. Damn maybe I should relocate it?!?!

I ordered a Rick's Motorsport Electrics MOSFET R/R for $135. We will see if the MOSFET technology makes it any cooler. I was really thinking I don't need to relocate it b/c it is MOSFET, but now I am questioning that again.

Anybody use this r/r before?

#74 ·
Got 9k miles on my 07 600cc, factory charging system without issues (knock on wood). I'm pretty new to my bike and have yet to become very familiar with common concerns like this, but I'm inclined to say these rectifiers would be more prone to burn out on weekend warriors than they would with dd's. Riding every day would more or less keep the battery at a consistent level of charge and keep the average load on the charging lower, rather than having to charge back up whatever was lost over the course of the week(s). I could be wrong, but I'm curious how many keep their bikes on a tender during extended down time.

#78 · (Edited)

Who are you addressing in a thread that hasn't been active in over a year?!

this might be a stupid question, but how do you know if your voltage regulator rectifier has gone bad?!

I had a battery/electrical issue a couple days ago and I just replace my 4 yrs old battery and hopefully everything will be fine. here is the my post if anyone and chime in.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278534

Thanks
This guy who posted 6 years ago and hasn't been on site since 2012?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.