Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

How long until your voltage regulator rectifier takes a shit? 06-07 gsxr 600

41K views 77 replies 48 participants last post by  Samantha750 
#1 ·
How many miles do you have on your bike with the stock voltage regulator rectifier? I had about 5k when mine took a shit. I am suprised the damn thing didn't catch on fire. All the wires were melted and the back of the regulator was roasted. I had to spend $130.00 on a new one + a new battery. Seriously.. fuck suzuki for not recalling that shit! I hear this is a very common problem.

Does anyone know of a solution to fix the problem?

#34 ·
my stator went out at around 23k miles, but the rectifier was still good. As far as i know its still the stock one and im at around 24k miles. I had it tested and it came out fine though.

#36 ·
I relocated mine to the side of the frame on my 07 after hearing stories of them burning up. the wiring is a tight fit but it works.. i just took a long rectangle of steel and drilled 2 holes, bent it 90* and then bolted the R/R to the plate, positioned it where wiring plugs in and fins are close to level, and welded the plate to the stock horn and R/R bracket... it works and didnt cost me a penny as i had steel laying around

#40 ·
im currently in the process of making R/R relocation brackets for the 06/07 600/750's. theres a thread around here somewhere. aluminum bracket, painted matte black, and ALL hardware included.

no zip ties here. lol

#53 ·
:eek:ogle If you're referring to post #49, that is a bracket I made. :fact

\/ These are pics of DemonRR's [$12-$15] bracket.............\/

Attachments

#55 ·
My wife's 06 600 just had a stator failure. I'm a stubborn old engineer that just has to check everything out. Did some research, calls to friends with GSXR's and came to the conclusion. The stator is probably the main cause of the broblem. The Reg is a sollid state device MOS FET or not and has a really high MTBF whereas the stator is a mechanical device bathed in engine oil of many types and temps. I looked at pictures of failed stators and every single one of them had a darkened section right where the connector wires connect to the windings. Hmmmmm. Could this be caused by the connecting wires vibrating or simply moving? Also, if the stator shorted or opened could it take out the regulator? I'd say yes.

The icing on the cake. The aftermarket parts suppliers do not make stators for 06, 07 GSXR 600's. You can buy an OEM stator or a used one. I can't figure this one out. They could make some bucks.

Conclusion: If your GSXR quits charging the first and easiest thing to check is the stator. Pull the stator cover and look for the darkened area on the windings. HTH

#57 ·
Do some more research Harperms. The k8 onwards stators are virtually identical, however the rec/reg type and location (cooler position) changed. The k8 onward forums have a lack of rec/reg/stator failure threads.

High MTBF if kept cool for sure, but sandwich any rec/reg in between the headers and radiator and it aint going to last as long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.