Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Engine swap?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  IridiumRed 
#1 ·
I have a 05-06 GSXR 1k frame, and was going to make it into a track bike. I was wondering if I could put a 600-750 motor into the frame and if it would bolt right up.. Or would there extensive modifying of brackets and stuff?

Before anyone says it.. I tried the search and all the I can seem to come up with is people taking a 1k motor and putting it into the 600-750 frame. I'm going the other way with the 600-750 motor in the 1k frame.

My reason for doing this is cost of the motor. I know I'd be happier with the 1k motor but I'm thinking that for now just throwing a smaller motor in there and getting it out on the track.

So.. is it possible? and more importantly has anyone done this before? I'm pretty sure different years will interchange..

#2 ·
After all that trouble why not just get a 600 or 750 in the first place? Kind of bass-ackwards to me.

#4 ·
The location of the upper motor mounts changes from year to year on the 1000's so it probably also does on the smaller motors. It seems to me that your best source for information is the threads about putting 1K motors into 600/750 frames. Your going to have problems in the same areas.

#5 ·
Just pull 2 plug wires and you'll have a 500cc instead of a 1000cc....if you get creative you can pull one wire and have a 750. ;)

#7 ·
I get what you're trying to do. Not the "usual" motor swap but certainly an understandable one.

Here's an idea, that I dont think anyone has mentioned before (and my apologies if they have) - if your frame is "tradeable", why not swap it for a 600/750 frame? You could probably get a similar condition frame + cash. Some of the guys out there looking to do the usual 600/750 frame / 1000 motor swap might love to have that frame, and be willing to pay some money to get yours & avoid the usual frame/1K engine swap problems (like having to cut/weld/fabricate motor mounts or using a mounting kit)

By "tradeable" on your frame, I am referring to whether you have some paperwork with your frame. Salvage title, clean title, bill of sale.... etc....

If that paperwork was NOT available - for whatever reason (and I'm not going to start thinking of why not) - then yeah, you are stuck with the frame you have.

But really, if your frame has some paperwork & is in decent condition you could swap it for a 600/750 frame, and get some cash to help pay for the new motor.

When its all said and done though, if you are determined to keep the frame, I'm guessing... that if you are careful with what you buy, and hunt around a lot, then you might be able to finish off your K5 with a 1K motor for probably 500, maybe 1000 bucks less than if you went the 600/750 route, and i GUARANTEE that the resulting bike will be worth more than that difference if you ever have to sell it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.