Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

86 750

15K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  c5homer 
#1 ·
hello all. new member but have been lurking and using all the great info over here for a bit now. I am home bike builder (1-2 a year) in sw Florida, thought i would post my new project since I poking around here anyway! I recently finished a 1200 bandit sert tribute and took a 1986 gsxr 750 on partial trade. My plan is to make a xr41 hb tribute. The bike was not complete and prety rough, with some home brewed parts and mods done buy one of its previous owners. after a few weeks of cleanin, painting and parts rangleing i got it running! Tried to start it yesterday and the starter just free wheeled, thought it was the starter clutch, removed the cover and the bolt was loose!!!! hope this isnt a sighn of things to come. Since it was loose anyway i ordered new springs pins and rollers any way to rebuild the starter clutch, hopefully be back together soon. I ordered body work from a few differant bikes that should be prety close to the xr41 and should only take some miner fabricating to make work. Will post more when things get good or I bolt the starter clutch back together and it twists back off!. here are some pics of the bandit and the gsxr.

DSC03698 by bradwsm, on Flickr

DSC03716 by bradwsm, on Flickr

DSC03751 by bradwsm, on Flickr
the gsxr as it is now

107_0025 by bradwsm, on Flickr

107_0024 by bradwsm, on Flickr

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice projects Brad. Well done.

The HB Suzuki bike - replica scheme, was done many years ago on a 1st gen GSX-R750 ... see the attached pics. I've always thought the Japanese are quite progressive with exploring new design applications (even though they're old - new again).

BTW - Where are you located Brad?

Cheers.
jb_xx

Attachments

#7 ·
I saw this last month on Ebay and shared it here. I think we all drooled over it. Nice to see you on aboard, you do some beautiful work. I liked the 500 Honda Interceptor build as the Rothmans bike, and the few Kawasaki builds you did. I hope you will keep us all posted with pictures and updates on your builds....

I went through all of your Flicker pictures they are all some nice builds

Thanks, Craig

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5720081&highlight=#post5720081

#8 ·
Thanks all! Oldschool I have been working with tape works and they are going to do the logos for me. Rodriguez the bandit had a 1993 gsxr 750 tank, had to modify it a bit to fit, then added Fiberglas " skirts" to the sides to make follow and fit the frame lines. The upper and lower are for a 1979 Suzuki f1, the tail is a moriwaki. Thanks jackbird, that mag pic is awesome! On my bike the only gsxr body pieces I am using are the tank and lowers for the Canadian 750. The tank I considered changing to a sling shot, because I think it is closer to the hb xr41, but in the end I think the 86 looks more like the menonly
Xr41 "humpback" tank. More soon.

#12 ·
Thanks all! Oldschool I have been working with tape works and they are going to do the logos for me. Rodriguez the bandit had a 1993 gsxr 750 tank, had to modify it a bit to fit, then added Fiberglas " skirts" to the sides to make follow and fit the frame lines. The upper and lower are for a , 1979 Suzuki f1 the tail is a moriwaki. Thanks jackbird, that mag pic is awesome! On my bike the only gsxr body pieces I am using are the tank and lowers for the Canadian 750. The tank I considered changing to a sling shot, because I think it is closer to the hb xr41, but in the end I think the 86 looks more like the menonly
Xr41 "humpback" tank. More soon.

Hey Brad. Nice Build! :cheers and Welcome.

Where exactly did you get the 1979 Suzuki f1 fairings and the moriwaki tail?

#9 ·
@Brad - the Canadian tank would actually be a better choice over the American humpback model tank. We often refer to the Cdn model tank (here on gixxer.com) as the flat-top tank. I almost thought of going the HB Suzuki route with my bike build, after I picked up my Harris tank.

The mag pic is definitely inspirational, and I thought you'd appreciate it.

Cheers.
jb_xx

#13 ·
Thanks for that pic that bike is sooooooooooo insane, it's funny the guy is pushing it as casual as if it's a huffy beach cruiser. Tony I got all the body work from air tech. The upper and lower they just call f1 in the vintage section, what they call the moriwaki seat looks to be the same as the 1980 gs1000r, or maybe the gs used the moriwaki spec? Who knows!

#17 · (Edited)
Man I love seeing that big air tech box waiting for me!!!!! Got my body work in, I went with the modified moriwaki tail, hammer upper and Canadian lowers, 5 min of trimming and it's a miracle but it works. Just need to do some nipping and tucking on the bottom, and make the headlight bucket.

107_0038 by bradwsm, on Flickr

107_0039 by bradwsm, on Flickr

after final trim

107_0041 by bradwsm, on Flickr
107_0037 by bradwsm, on Flickr

107_0040 by bradwsm, on Flickr

#18 ·
I ran into that same problem when i used that style lower with my bandit motor track bike. I added a spacer at the bottom, But test rides revealed the lowers would touch pavement way to easily. I've since abandoned that idea for my trackbike and will run standard style lowers. Bummer, because i really like those lowers...

#19 ·
I let you know how it goes for me good thing it's for the street and I ride like a chump!!
Nothing major took a inch of the front of the tail, and glassed in some foam risers and a catch tounge to slide into the tank mount. Not the most sofistacated salution but it keeps me from having to chop weld of fab a metal solution. Also made a seat pan and am having it upholstered in red.

107_0050 by bradwsm, on Flickr
Not a lot different but shortened tail

107_0049 by bradwsm, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.