Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

cold weather riding

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  MOTO-D 
#1 ·
hey guys i thought i post this here as we have some guys that do ride into the negative temps. So friday night i rode at -4 in the dark.. finger tips got cold in my perferated A* gauntlets. I have replaced the full leather pants and coat with textile adventure minded coat and hellyhanson bib insulated overalls and garnere boots. gloves is what i need. I have been looking on revzilla at anthony's reviews of gloves and i think the rukka R-Star 2 in 1 gloves have caught my eye. but i still am looking and would like some input on what you guys that ride in the cold wear. btw 60 degrees in florida is not cold weather riding lol

#2 ·
I ride too in the bad or unpredictable weather. If it is not snow or ice. I travel.
Just be on the look out for illegal pineneedles, wet spots, leaves, and gravel. Other substances not to nice for motorcycles. Keep the shiney side up. Peace Wave!

#3 ·
When I picked up my new leathers yesterday, they had some of this new(to me anyway) heated gear on a display stand, all wired up, the jacket and gloves where brilliant.

If I had to go out on a bike again in that kind of temperature, plenty of layers & heated gear for sure would be the way id go.

#5 ·
Anything from -2 to +7 degrees celcius in London. Probably could ride but the salt they put on the roads not good for bikes

#7 ·
I did a ride recently that started at 27 degrees celsius at home but got down to about 2 degrees at the highest altitude we reached for the day!! I whipped out my thermal gloves and makita heated jacket which i usually carry on long rides and was quite warm for the worst of it, pitty my mate wasn't as prepared as i was!!:lmao

#8 ·
I rode 40 minutes to work the other day at 14 degrees. Hots grips are the way to go. i still have to turn them down after 5 minutes of riding. Windproof shirt and something to keep the wind from coming up my neck into the helmet. After that its a nice ride.

#9 ·
I'm still riding...but came off today :facepalm

FWIW TT I just recently bought some EDZ base layer and mid layers...the mid layer, is a micro-fleece and I'm hot with it on indoors.
I also got this scarf type thing that I wear over my balaclava.

Hands are my main issue too...especially finger tips!
Courier days I used to have handle bar muffs, which does keep the wind chill out but looks shit!
Rukka gear is AWESOME!!!
Have the jacket, NEED to buy the trousers :lol

Interested to see what you think about the gloves.

Have been told BMW clothing is also VERY good!!!

#10 ·
very good but not so good for the average man's wallet ;) I am looking at rukka r star gloves and i think santa may bring them but santa wasnt happy as santa may have gotten me a klim balaclava from the same place that sells the gloves and if santa had of ordered them together it would of been free shipping lol Also i will be getting some base gear for hiking so that will also be riding gear too... note to self make santa breakfast in bed on the weekend :)

The f650 has heated grips but they dont get as hot as the oxford ones i put on a friends ninjette so when i do a bar swap on the dakar i think i will throw on the set of oxfords i have here nib. there is more settings with the oxford so one can adjust the heat better. the bmw is just warm enough and i cant feel it at all lol well that is warmer than 0 c. snow here today so i will be locked in my cage of a jetta.. amazingly it passed inspection on friday so it is legal to take on the street. They salt here too but really its a few thousand dollar bike i will sell in a few years. so riding on a bit of salt doesnt worry me. that being said i will be stripping the bike down to do the valve shims so i plan on filling every plug on the bike with di electric grease to keep out any unwanted mositure and salt.

#11 ·
Just bought the Revit Bastion GTX Gloves, will post a cold weather review this weekend. I was looking at the Rukka Abomonosorous (something like that name) too.

In the meantime, here's what I suggest to keep the body and feet warm becuase it blocks wind from coming in yet is still breathable out (hence you will not get all hot and sweaty in it during lunch or riding breaks)............ MOTO-D Cold Weather Motorcycle Baselayer

Snow outside cold, MOTO-D warm inside.

z6KSDyiVsm8?​

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.