Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Stator or battery going bad...

5K views 43 replies 10 participants last post by  MacBayne 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 600 that I bought last year. When I bought it the guy replaced the battery. I ride it everyday, well almost everyday. Normally my trips are 2-4 miles at a time. The weather here has been getting colder. Dropping down to low 30s. The bike has been getting harder to start, as in needing to crank more before firing. Today, after riding the bike about 4 miles or so, I parked my bike at this business I was going to and turned it off. After I found out I couldn't park there I tried to start the bike and it cranked for a few and then eventually wouldn't crank at all. The lights were still on but it wouldn't crank. I think the clock reset too. Anyways I left the bike there and them came back about 4 hours later and tried to start it again. This time after a few extra seconds of cranking it started up. I have it on a trickle charger for the night. Do you think its the stator or the battery? I'm not really sure how to tell which one it might be. Thanks. :dunno

#35 ·
Generators have permanent magnet rotor and a stator that generates electricty. The output is dependent upon a number of things but mainly on the rotational speed of the rotor. Higher speed = more output.

Alternator uses field coils (electro-magnets) instead of permanent magnet rotor of the generator. So now the output of the alternator can be controlled by regulating the current in the field coils so as the rotational speed increases the field coils can be energised less from the regulator maintaining correct voltage and battery charge.

Our bikes shunt the extra energy with the regulator and it is wasted as heat.

Alternator is more efficient as no excess power is generated and needed to be shunted (wasted).

#36 ·
Hey man im having the simular problems your situation sounds like mine :(

Zlow is great he helped me all the way and i fixed mine almost

you need to check your stator first of all I SUCK at anything to do with vehicles like when i say noob im a NOOB lol anyways i took of the stator and one of my coils were black so it was causing my battery to keep dieting :( BUT ZLow helped me out and i was able to test my stator with a multi meter thingy to determine that was indeed the problem

PM me or Zlow i can help you out step by step with some pictures if you want i actually might just upload them here for ya

#37 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I learned all this from other members in this same forum. Were all new at some point.

Anyway, if you have plenty of pics, you can probably make a write up on the whole procedure. You wont believe how many people come in with the same problem.
Im just waiting for my stator to burn out again so i can make a very detailed write up on how to check and replace the whole charging system. And lots of pictures :fact Then just link everyone to that thread.

#38 ·
Thanks fellas. I have a new problem now. I bought a stator and was going to replace it but I ended up breaking a bolt in half. The bolt is on the left side of the frame in front of the stator. It attaches the frame to the engine. The previous owner had dropped it, worse then what he had told me, and the bolt mount is bent or for some reason the whole doesn't line up completely. What happened was I had dropped a plastic piece inside my frame and was trying to retrieve it. When I was going to put my left side frame slide back on, because I couldn't retrieve the plastic piece, the bolt broke. So I was thinking that instead of pulling the whole engine out I might use a dremel and take off about a 1/16 inch or less to retrieve the broken bolt. What do you guys think? I'll probably try and post this in the main forum too. Let me know thanks.

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Fuel line

Auto part Engine Wheel Carbon Vehicle

Attachments

#40 ·
Yes, i bought new gaskets and i also added a high temp silicone gasket maker. It was a orange material, i think it was ultra copper.

They sell these in any auto shop.

#44 ·
a burning smell and bubbling battery means that there was an overage. that is all r/r. the problem is that if the r/r goes, the stator could also be pooched because of the bad r/r. your battery is done nonetheless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.