Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Recommendation for universal handguards

9K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Ceiling Cat 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am in dire need of some handguards. I commute 60 miles to and from work everyday in about 30 degree weather. I currently wear alpinestars goretex with freezeout liners and my finger tips are still freezing by the time I get to work and home.. I think its starting to take a toll on my hands as well. I've managed to find gear to keep my whole body warm and dry but just can't get the right gloves to keep my fingers from freezing. I also do not want to get the heated gloves, just kinda sounds impracticle to have to plug it to your battery and what not...so last resort is handguards to block the wind from hitting my poor hands..I just don't know which set will bolt up easily to my bike and not look too tacky.. any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

#3 ·
Honestly I don't think they will work that great bc the windchill is what's making my hands so cold, and even tho they'll be slightly heated I still think with the amount of cold wind hitting my hands at 60 to70 mph it won't make much diff. If I can block all that wind that what's I think matters

#6 ·
Acerbis is more than likely the way to go. I'd still look at a decent pair of heated gloves to go with the handguards as well...

I've got the Acerbis on my dirtbike & they work well. Granted, I'm not going 60 mph down the highway & only use them so branches / twigs don't bust my knuckles up.

#8 · (Edited)
People riding in the colder weather around here swear by heated grips.

Only $60 for the simple versions and easy to install.

The Acerbis bar end guards look really trick, but I seriously doubt they would clear the stock brake/clutch levers. I just took a quick look at my bike and the end of the brake lever is even with the bar-end and 4 inches forward of the grip. Maybe if you have shorty levers?

#17 ·
The Acerbis bar end guards look really trick, but I seriously doubt they would clear the stock brake/clutch levers. I just took a quick look at my bike and the end of the brake lever is even with the bar-end and 4 inches forward of the grip. Maybe if you have shorty levers?

As said they probably won't help that much, but they do fit. Maybe not with huge levers?

#9 ·
I can almost guarantee that heated gloves will work way better than you think. I say almost only because Ive never tried them myself. But my grandparents rode all over with them on goldwing. Also, snowmobilers are out for way longer than you are(like entire days) and they are getting just as much wind as you in colder temps. Heated gloves are gonna be way better than hand guards:wacko

Fuck. Just get some pocket heat packs and stick them in your gloves if you dont want the battery hassle. Those things get so hot that if you put them on your bare skin it burns you.

Hand guards:piss :wacko

#10 ·
I ride year round... subzero temps, whatever.

I use Gerbing heated gloves. They work.

I use ColdKillers gear under my PERFORATED leather jacket/pants and a small fleece under the ColdKillers. I stay warm.

It works.

#13 ·
I have the older Acerbis Rally Pro guards on my XR. At speed in the cold I honestly don't think they make any warmth difference, & that's with the extra lip mounted on top. At higher speeds like you would be doing, it seems like the wind just whips all around your hand with more turbulence, losing most of the blocking effect.

They're great for keeping branches from crushing my fingers, but at speed they definitely didn't make a difference for warmth that I could notice. Mine are shaped like this one. I think you would be much happier with heated gloves.

Attachments

#14 ·
I have the older Acerbis Rally Pro guards on my XR. At speed in the cold I honestly don't think they make any warmth difference, & that's with the extra lip mounted on top. At higher speeds like you would be doing, it seems like the wind just whips all around your hand with more turbulence, losing most of the blocking effect.
I agree. I rode my supermoto on New Years Eve with similar hand guards and my GSXR yesterday. Same gear and gloves. About 45 degrees each day. I can't say I felt much, if any, difference between the two.

#15 ·
Right on, thanks for all the advice.. I guess I will have to try something heated, I don't the pads will do much since its mainly my fingers and fingertips that freeze.. I think I might tryout the heated glove liners first and go from there..

#16 ·
#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.