Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

About to sell my other bike - couple of questions

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Kentucky Fried Cholo 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to sell my other bike, a 2007 SV650. This'll be my first time selling a bike so I had a couple of questions.

1. Is a test ride customary or expected? I assumed it would be customary but how do you protect yourself if someone asks for one? Do you ask for something to hold on to so he doesn't make off with your bike or what?

2. I know this may differ by state but after you agree to sell the bike what paperwork do you have to do? The bike is paid for and I have the title so do I just give the title to the new owner and then submit a sold notice to Arizona MVD? Also do I understand correctly that I keep the plates and then the new owner has to register for new ones?
I tried checking the AZ MVD page and it's kind of vague on the specifics.

Thank you for your responses.

#2 ·
1) Cash

2) Homemade Bill of Sale, sign over title, keep plates, inform state you sold, turn in/destroy plates

#3 ·
Never allow any test rides until you have ALL of the asking price,in cash,in your hand. Go to Staples and get one of those pens that you mark the bills with to see if they are counterfeit and check ALL the money before the test ride..people have gotten fake $100's plenty of times before and then youre fucked

#4 ·
^^ exactly.. I've heard of a few people literally driving off or almost as bad, dropping the bike during a test ride. No money and you're left repairing it or having to sell it for less bc of damage..

Not sure where you are and what kind of element you have there, but Id take someone with me to the sale. Best case scenario, only to be a witness on the bill of sale, worst case if they try to strong arm you..

#6 ·
I had a friend (a dumb one I might add) that let a guy and his buddy take his ZX-11 out for a test ride. He figured he was safe as their car was left in his driveway. You guessed it, they never came back and the car was stolen. :lmao We laugh about it to this day.

#8 ·
Cash in hand before they throw a leg over the bike, even if it is sat on my drive with the engine off.

Expect them to come with at least 1 friend, if he/she is riding away they will need a ride to your house and if they ain't riding away they need help getting it into a van or pickup truck.

Have a reliable friend with you who is ready to party if they are needed.

#9 ·
No need for a test ride..unless the bike is older, or there's reason to suspect Trans or clutch damage, etc. Everything else can be tested with the bike on center stand.

All the Dealerships I went to, dont allow test drives anymore. They will happily risk losing a sale, over a potential crash/death lawsuit.

They know a serious buyer Knows what they want.

#15 ·
Looking at it from the buyer's side i wouldn't hand anybody any cash without having the pink slip signed over to me. .
So if that is the case you would be screwed royally if the bike has any damage discovered upon the test ride since you already legally bought the bike when the title was signed over to you. Then what?:dunno
You cant erase your name on the pink slip&ask for your money back,once that title is signed you own it and your stuck with it. I do understand your point though

#13 ·
I just bought a bike off craigslist. We exchanged text messages about the price and set up a meeting time. Fortunately, it was at his residence.

Brought a friend with a trailer. Inspected the bike, loaded it, title signed over, paid him and left. Painless compared to that one story.

Ed

#14 ·
I won't buy a bike without riding it unless its a crashed bike or something.. Had a friend do that..and turns out the trans on the bike was shot to hell when he finally rode it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#16 ·
I wouldn't feel comfortable buying any vehicle, bike or car, without test riding/driving it. Just me though I guess

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.