Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Gixxer 750 vs 600cc vs Literbike?

25K views 79 replies 47 participants last post by  LaxBuddy21 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, first post here. Just one question... (strong username to post correlation)

I'm in the market for a new bike. I'm looking to trade in my SV, which was my 1st bike. I'm looking to stay with Suzuki, and the 750 has caught my eye. Truth be told, my motorcycles are my only transport & daily commuters to school, work, parties, functions, etc. I hear I-4 600s are too "revvy" for any street use. Any truth to that? I know literbikes have the torque & pull downlow but is it worth the extra insurance to be oozing with unusable power? That comes to the 750, which I hear is the right balance between torque & horsepower. Opinions? Suggestions? I don't care about ergos or anything I'm young so I can handle that lol. Price is somewhat of a factor. If a 600 fits the bill I'll take the lower price/insurance, but whatever it takes.

Too long, didn't read?
-OP wants new bike
-600 vs 750 vs 1000cc for commuting
-No care for ergos, comfort, blah blah blah
-Price has minimal input

#33 ·
For an all-around bike...commuting, track days, mountains, etc...a 750 is the perfect bike.

As a street-only bike, i prefer a 1000. I dont like having to rev the shit out of the motor and feeling like im racing everywhere on the street. With a 1k, you can basically leave it in 3rd and just ride.

Track day bike - 750 for sure. Great combination of power and handling. But not so much as a race bike. There are a couple of classes where it fits and has a little advantage, but that is it. Racing it in any other classes puts you racing against 1000's.

#36 ·
I am a big fan of 1000 for street duty when still into sport bikes. Just easier to ride long as you are good on throttle control. Very little shifting and more focus on the road, not into searching for the right gear to stay in the power and revving the crap out of motor as well.

#39 ·
Look at it like this. The 750 is a niche bike. Described as "perfect" and the "best of both worlds", but you'll have to ride it to see it/understand it for yourself. That said, I think you'd have to own a 600 and 1000 first to truely appreciate the 750. The goldilocks bike. If you get a 750 first, you probably wont see it and miss it.

That said, you would do ok on a 750 from your riding experience. But get a 600 first, it wont disapoint. Trust me. :biggrin Even if you get the 750 you'll probably still want a litre bike later. Everyone does at some point.

And for those that like to argue a litre bike has more speed and power than you can ever safely and legally exploit on the roads. The same can be said for the 600 and 750. Or anyone that drives a camaro, mustang, challenger, or corvette.

If everyone lived by that and practiced what they preached then we'd all be riding nothing bigger than 450 singles or driving accords and camrys.

#41 ·
I've only ever ridden a 750 and that was enough power for me. Had a friend with a ZX10 offer to swap rides...I declined without any reservation.

Deep down inside it did not feel right and that's what matters. Will a liter bike ever be something I ride? It can wait. Right now, all that matters is that the 750 is enough power.

You really have to gauge your senses, ability, and skill to decide which bike is best. The decision is your's and your's alone. Our inputs only describe personal feelings about the class. It's up to you to make the choice.

Ed

#42 ·
I started out on rgv250's in the early 90's then went straight to an early fireblade, then a rgv & zx7r up until 2005. In 07 I bought a 650 single tenere, rode it to work etc until in 2011 I bought my first new bike ever the latest at the time 2011 gsxr750.

the new 750's are crazy to the bikes I had before. No doubt about it, I found it full on to ride, throttle twitchy etc (to be expected given I what I was previously riding for years). Now close to 1.5 years later I still love the 750 and have done half a dozen track days with it, lots of commuting and many sunday rides. I did end up with a 08 cbr600rr track/race bike. But for the road the 750 seems fine. To be honest I'd like to try a 1000cc inline 4 as I have never had a ride on one. When the R1 came out I wanted one so bad, I declined having a go as I didn't need the debt changing over for one.

As it has been said that riding the 750 is almost like having a supersport race tuned 600, it's pretty fluffy below say 5000rpm, but for commuting in regular traffic it moves along just fine from lower rpms. On the track that bit extra makes it easier and a bit friendly to ride fast.

I am very happy with my 750. To be really honest, if I had my chance to buy a new bike again, I would look at a 600.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

#43 ·
I am very happy with my 750. To be really honest, if I had my chance to buy a new bike again, I would look at a 600.

Good luck on whatever you choose.
Im kind of in the same boat. If I get a newer bike Im split between a 1k or another 600. I kind of want a 1000 but Im curious how the new 600s ride as well.

I suggested the OP get a 600.

#45 ·
I agree, has been about two years now since retiring from riding sport bikes for street duty shortly after turning 50 years old. Sport bikes are very focused on doing two things really well which are handling and hauling ass, comfort while in traffic and sitting still on the seat when taking it easy can be uncomfortable.

Ridden a Triumph Street and Speed Triple, can have just as much fun in the twisty stuff and commute with comfort also. There are far better choices for riding on the street that will also not draw as much attention. Sport bikes are more of a magnet for unwanted attention now than in the past since stunters and other bones heads are doing things in the public eye. Police look at my supermoto and could careless about me, not knowing what this bike is able to do.

#49 ·
My first bike was a 750 if it wasn't for the price I was able to get on the 09 I would have got another one. I still ride a 750 from time to time its a 07and I think I still like the 750's better for around town riding but that raw power of the 1000 is unmatched. go for the 750.

#51 ·
I still ride a 750 from time to time its a 07and I think I still like the 750's better for around town riding but that raw power of the 1000 is unmatched. go for the 750.
Give us more insight.

Its kind of like the 750 is the bike to have, but the 1000 is something to experience. :biggrin

My thing is you can safely wack a 600/750 open without trouble. But you cant pin a 1000 open in any gear. I hear theyll wheelie even in 5th gear.

#55 ·
I've owned all three my racebike is a 750 and I've had np getting hole shots from litter bikes while they wheelie i get the power down. But i own a 1000 for the street reason being 2 grown adults looks stupid on a 600. My girl isn't little and the 1000 has a little more room not much lol but ill take what i can get. But yes it is unusable power for the street next year the 1000 becomes the race bike and i get a couch/street glide :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#59 ·
Damnit!
Fine,Im outta here :)

#73 ·
No never! So if you bolt a supercharger or turbo on a car that is filed without it, are you going to call the Insurance company and tell them! How about taking a Honda Civic and dropping a type R engine in it! That's Fraud! You going to call and tell them that! The Insurance companies already charge to much for coverage! Man! WTF!! Might as well run from the cops and then call them later and turn yourself in!

#65 ·
It would depend on the insurance company. If they rate his insurance by cc, and a Gixxer 750 is more than a 600, then it is absolutely insurance fraud.

Not to mention that as far as insurance is concerned, the higher the cc's the more the risk...which is one of the reasons for the higher premiums. And he is cheating the system by claiming he has a 600cc bike when he doesn't.

#70 · (Edited)
If you have State Farm, they dont rate by CC's.
I have a 750, and I can assure you, costs less than my 650.

I spoke with my agent about this before, he said it just calculates by VIN, age of rider and based on your history.(and what kind of coverage you select)

But.....if you're young, or have priors on your record, they might reserve the right to change How you are rated. Im not exactly sure on that part.

#72 ·
For daily commute, I would go with the 600 or 750. There is no need to dump an extra grand into a 1000cc just to put miles on it. I personally have a 600 and i run the interstate and back roads just fine on it. But all in all its your preference in what you like.

Good Luck,:dunno

#74 ·
No, i wouldnt call the insurance to tell them that i added a few bolt-ons to my car/bike/etc.

I also don't drive a damn Honda Civic.

The difference is that you don't ride a Gix 600 anymore, you ride a Gix 750. The bikes are completely identical (aside from fork color), except for the motor.

And no, i have never ran from the cops and never will. That is the stupidest shit anybody could do. We don't condone such bullshit on this forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.