Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

VIN check website. Make sure that bike ain't stolen!!!

298K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  Ironhead401 
#1 ·
Here is a website I founs a while back and still go to it every now and again to check up on potential buys. I thought I would post it up here and after it gets some attention, I'll probably stick it so that it's easy to come back to. I don't want to stick it now as it may not get the attention it deserves.

Go ahead, try it out. Here is a known stolen VIN to play with... JS1GR75A2H2100562

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck/vincheck

BTW, if anybody ever comes up with that VIN on a frame, give me the address where it is, and I'll give you something for your trouble.

#7 ·
Yeah, that's why I use it. You see a lot of frames without paperwork these days and there's really no reason to assume they are stolen right off the bat, but there's also no sense in building before you know, and anything without a title should be suspect and checked. I like the site becuse I can check the VIN before even going to look at it as long as the seller will give it to me, and if he won't... Well, he probably should get a visit from somebody else instead.

#16 ·
The funny thing for me is that the GSXR was only the 2nd bike I ever got full coverage on, and that was because it was mint and very hard to come by. The first one was my Dads old bike, and since it was also old and irreplacable, that was why I did it. All of my bikes are paid for, but even still, I now carry full coverage on everything but the dirt bikes/quads after what happened with the GSXR. I suppose it only takes one time to convince you to do it.

Insurance is not by state, it covers you no matter where in the US you may be, so when you file a claim, it goes into this nationwide database.

#19 ·
interesting side note.. i ran my 04 vin into it and it did not come up as stolen... but i see who ever bought it at the auction after it was recoverd totaled it less than a month later...mine was stolen in may of 06 then recoverd in aug 06 and went to auction in sept. now has a total loss date in oct 06..
VINCheckSM Theft Record js1gt75a342105040 has not been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Theft Records.

VINCheckSM is updated regularly as additional information is reported.
VINCheckSM Total Loss Record

Further information is available through Carfax . VIN: js1gt75a342105040 has been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Salvage Records.
Date of loss: 2006-10-02
Cause of loss: Collision

#22 ·
is there one for the motor #? A guy know got a motor from Connecticut and when he went to get the bike inspected the motor was stolen and the highway patrol ceased the bike and he had to pay the insurance company for the motor to get the bike back even though the frame wasn't stolen and in his name. I know where 90% of my motors came from but it would be nice to know for sure on when buying a rat bike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.