Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Bike is stretched..how do I know what size chain to order?

37K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  K6 Blizzard 
#1 ·
my 06 600 is stretched about 9" and I'm in the process of ordering a new chain and sprockets but I'm not sure how to go about ordering a chain that is long enough?

thanks

#3 ·
:stupid

Stretched 9".....on a 600? :blink

If you must leave the bike in its current ridiculous state, count the links on the chain and you can order the chain by number of links.

#4 · (Edited)
ok, here is an easy way to figure it out from the stock length. Each link is approx .625" center to center from the pins. You are 9.0" over stock you say?
So take 1.0" divided by .625 That equals 1.6 This translates to needing 1.6" additional length of chain per inch of extension.

Now take the 1.6" X 9.0" that equals 14.4" Now times that by 2 (top and bottom and you get 28.8 links.
So 30 extra links would be a safe bet Sir.

#11 ·
I have never understood why people say that. Im not talking about the OP's bike, just stretched bikes in general. I mean, they look awkward. There is nothing symetrical about them.

It is like you have the bike, then you have this wheel sticking out the back all by itself, looking out of place.

I understand the purpose with stretching a drag bike. I launch stock length bikes all the time at the beginning of races and keeping the front end down, while getting a good launch is hard.

But stretching a non-drag bike...especially a 600...for looks? :scratch

#13 ·
I like the way they look. That might be due to growing up around drag bikes and cars. i do admit that on the road for our bikes it does make handling a little different. But nothing is worse then trying to turn a raked out chopper. Personal perference.

I have not streched mine though.

#18 ·
Try not just going in a straight line. Take your bike through some twisties and then take a non stretched bike through the same run, trust me you will notice the difference. And you don't have to be exceeding the speed limit to tell the difference.

#16 · (Edited)
It's easy to figure.

1 inch is 2 links. so take your number and multiply it by 2.

but this one gets one strand of chain long enough for 9" and since you have a chain on the bottom and top you need to do that twice. So take your stretch and multiply by 4. Easy way to calculate it :) and how the sprocket manufacturers like Driven calculate it on their precut chain kits.

9" x 4=36 links extra you'll need.

#19 ·
It's easy to figure.

1 inch is 2 links. so take your number and multiply it by 2.
wait, what? 520/525/530 chains have 5/8" pitch. exactly 5/8" and not 1"

So if it's needed extra 2 x 9" then it's needed to add 2*9*8/5 = 28.8 or 30 links.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.