Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

How do you test a stator and rectifier on a 2007 gsxr 600

61K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Zlow28 
#1 ·
Getting closer to my charging problem I have a multimeter I have the tank pried up I AM NOT TECH SAVY AT ALL PLEASE NO CRAZY TERMS LOL anyways I kno ur suppose to use the multi Meter and put it into the statins harness thing but what readings are good/bad then how do you test the rectifier again I kno nothing about this stuff so pictures are amazing if u could

#2 ·
First thing you need to do is download the service manual. It tells you how to do it step by step.

Sent from my mind

#4 ·
this is quite simple:
Make sure the battery is in good condition, fully charged. Set the meter on DC volts in the range of 10-20v, start engine and rev to ~4000rpm, volts should be approx 14+.
If this fails then:
Remove and check the pin connector between the alternator and r/r for any melted/over heated connections, if these are good..
set the meter on AC volts (50-100v), start engine and check volts between 1-2, 1-3,2-3 wires an about 4000 rpm, ya should get about 50-60v on all 3 readings.
if any are low the problem is with the stator, if all 3 readings are good the problem is with the r/r. doing a test on the r/r is a waste of time.

Also when/if replacing the stator its a good idea to hard wire the alternator to the r/r, eliminating a common problem of corrosion with the pin connectors.

luck

#7 ·
I personally think replacing the stator is easier than testing it. But thats cus im not as good with electronics and cicuits and batteries and stuff like that. However, if you dont test it to see if its working, youre pretty much risking wasting a bunch of time and money. So unless you have a giftcard for a free stator, id check it first IMO.

However, heres the yellow pin you need to locate under the black airbox located under the gas tank.

#11 ·
*****UPDATE**********
No its confusing :p lol LIKE I SAID EARLIER your picture help me like crazy good was able to identify it easily the clip was a bitch to get off though

BUT i tested it and 1-2(the two next to each other) gave me 56 volts...check.....1-3(top left and bottom alone prong) gave me 54 volts...check.....but 2-3(top right and bottom one)...gave me 1.3 volts?!?!??!

All of this was done at 4000rpm

Okay so that one didnt work so does that mean the whole stator is fried?

ZLow you have been a great help thanks!!!!!! so whats the next step zlow?

#13 ·
*****UPDATE**********

BUT i tested it and 1-2(the two next to each other) gave me 56 volts...check.....1-3(top left and bottom alone prong) gave me 54 volts...check.....but 2-3(top right and bottom one)...gave me 1.3 volts?!?!??!
All of this was done at 4000rpm
Okay so that one didnt work so does that mean the whole stator is fried?
ZLow you have been a great help thanks!!!!!! so whats the next step zlow?
Sunny, its time to replace the stator, ya got one phase burnt out.
Take a bucket full of $$ to the local steeler and trade it for a new stator.

Luck

#12 ·
Ok try this, remove the rectifier completely, and set your multimeter to 20v AC. Find a good ground for the black and the red will go in the stator clips.

Turn your bike on and test all three wires at idle. Then Perform the same test at 4000rpm.

The numbers should jump up. If they remain the same and become really inconsistent, then the stator is bad.

Id highly recomend you write them down so you dont confuse numbers.

#14 ·
****UPDATE*****

Problem almost solved!!!!!!!!!!!:punk

Here is the picture of the stator i just pulled out of my gsxr i cant be more happier found out what the problem is it was indeed the stator

On the other hand i still bought a new rectifier just for good measure going to buy my stator tonight

Thanks everyone for the help i will continue to update when i get the stator in the mail thanks!!:cheers

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.