Touring Australia on a GSXR (Sydney to Cairns) - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 06-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #21
Chocolate_Rain
I move away from the mic

Motorcycle: 2006 R1 50th
Re: Touring Australia on a GSXR (Sydney to Cairns)

Awesome write up.
Chocolate_Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #22
Occ
Novice

Cool travelogue.
Occ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #23
COBRA90GT
Miss Sofonda Cox

Nice adventure, like the pics too btw. Didn't know about the "road trains" over there, interesting stuff...
COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #24
8you4t
Supersport Racer

Motorcycle: K3 GSXR 1000/2011 R1/2004 CBR 600RR track bike / 1994 GSXR 750/1996 CBR900RR / 2002 sv650s (wifes) /2003 CBR600RR / 2006 CBR 1000RR / 1997 GSXR 600 / 2001 RSV Aprilia 1000 / 2011 Z1000 / 2006 VTR 1000

I'm sitting in my office surrounded by paperwork ... Looking at these pics drooling !!!
8you4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #25
Donshe
Novice

Motorcycle: K7 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA90GT View Post
Nice adventure, like the pics too btw. Didn't know about the "road trains" over there, interesting stuff...
They're quite a pain in a number of different ways. When passing, buffeting is extreme. When oncoming on single track roads, have to jump off the sealed road at 110km or thereabouts to let them pass.

And overtaking them requires planning. I learn that when one of the first ones I went to pass; I was halfway past and saw an oncoming car. I couldn't falter so I kept going and forced the oncoming vehicle off the road once they realised I wasn't going to stop. Felt really guilty and apologetic about that but I had n choice once I was halfway past
Donshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #26
Donshe
Novice

Part 3 - The wet way home

After a relaxing couple of days which mainly involved drinking goon with backpackers, it was time to make my way back home to get back into the 9-5 grind.

Mother nature however seemed to have a different agenda and wasn’t going to make this an easy ride home. As I was leaving Cairns I was greeted with less than welcoming skies. And sure enough, minutes later I was drenched head to toe and struggling to see more than a few feet in front of me. I did try pulling over to wait out the intensity; however it seemed to be an exercise in futility, so onwards it was. And to think, only hours before I had been discussing my luck of good weather with others at the hostel.

Aside from the sheer misery that was my soaked leathers, the rain also slowed progress and required me to be even more alert. I soon discovered the joys of 750ml cans of V…lots of them. The rain also caused me to run heavily behind schedule, so much so that I found myself riding well into the darkness of the night; something I had promised myself not to do. But when I found myself in this situation, I did the next best thing possible, tailgating other (bigger) cars at very high speeds. Not the brightest of ideas but it not only gave me some added mental security but also provided me with the extra light thrown out from their headlights to survey my surroundings a little bit better.

My first day and night back out was a long one, with a quick pit stop to rest my sore legs and also help with some work back in the real life; a reminder that I would soon have to step back into the ‘normal’ life. Getting into Mackay for the night, I can’t say I was all that excited to leave the bike parked in front of the hostel on the street…right next door to a pub…on a Friday night. It all had the makings of a decision I would regret the next morning. So I managed to find an unused garage around the back, complete with a dirtbike chained to the ground. I went to sleep that night still slightly damp and wondering if I would see a GSXR still parked there in the morning.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #27
Donshe
Novice

Back on the road the next morning, it was much of the same wetness again, only this time, I had slightly amusing road signs to keep me entertained. However to throw a new variable into the mix, I now had to deal with roadworks that stretched on as far as I could see, grinding traffic to a blistering 40 kilometres per hour. Again, meaning a missed mark for the night. However, ever cloud has a silver lining…or at least I have to envision one; in this case, it was the opportunity to stay in a caravan for the first time in my life; so much excitement !

Old 06-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #28
Donshe
Novice

The following day, as I crossed into NSW, I felt a change. Now I don’t just mean it in the sense of the weather warming up, progressively greener, more NSW plated cars, but I just felt like I was ‘home’. I am not overly attached to the state however the sense of home is one that warms the heart no matter where home is. Although that could’ve also been the meat pie from ‘Beefys’ I had shortly before crossing into NSW that won best meat pie in 2012; that was pretty warm too.

After a final nights stay in Lennox Head, it was time for the last dash home. Just under 800km to cover, but I could do it; plus I had to be at work the next day.
After my last fuel stop on familiar highways, I took one last photo, envisioning in my head what photo I would take once I was home to show off my total mileage and a weather ravaged bike.

However, that was not to be. Sitting at a set of traffic lights 20km from home, the lights went green; 1st gear selected; clutch out and…nothing. The bike lost all electrics; nothing left at all. I wheeled it out of the intersection as quick as I could in an effort not to be flattened, however, after a quick strip down and checking for shorts in auxiliary equipment and the main fuses; nothing was to be found.

And so it was, after nearly 7000km of riding through the Australian Outback and the Tropics, I had broken down 18km from home, and the last part of my journey was to be in the passenger seat of a van with my travel companion strapped into the back.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #29
Knight2211
Unstable SuperMod

Motorcycle: 92 GSX-R 750R Liquid

That was great, but you need to tell us what happened to your bike.
Knight2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #30
lifendet
Novice

Motorcycle: L2 600

No pixs of the aboriginal girl..?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
lifendet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #31
lifendet
Novice

Any word on the electrics? Dam gd adventure buddy.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #32
Donshe
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifendet View Post
No pixs of the aboriginal girl..?
Hahah, no way, that ass crack hanging out as she walked away is burned into my mind though :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2211 View Post
That was great, but you need to tell us what happened to your bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifendet View Post
Any word on the electrics? Dam gd adventure buddy.
Well, I'm not very technically minded and before this had never even frequented Gixxer forums (Although I've been a member for a bit longer)

But after a fair bit of reading and going through the service manual, it seems the regulator/rectifier let me down. I am now looking to purchase one of those R1 MOSFET units from America with the conversion wiring to resolve this issue. I still have hpoes to take thisbike across the world so anything I can learn and make more reliable at home the better !

Here is where Gixxer.com helped me in figuring it out !

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355086
Old 06-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #33
Chocolate_Rain
I move away from the mic

Motorcycle: 2006 R1 50th

Those road signs are pretty cool.
Chocolate_Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #34
lifendet
Novice

Ass crack u say...That's my fav..lmao

Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #35
COBRA90GT
Miss Sofonda Cox

Bummer about the electrical system taking a dump on you at the end.
COBRA90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #36
Donshe
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRA90GT View Post
Bummer about the electrical system taking a dump on you at the end.
Yeah I was quite disappointed but then I thought of the flip side. If this same break down was a couple of days prior, in the middle of nowhere, as I was on approach to a random town in the dark. Well, that would've REALLY sucked

Plus now I got to learn about the Gixxers electrical system ! Haha
Old 06-08-2013, 01:34 AM   #37
8you4t
Supersport Racer

Motorcycle: K3 GSXR 1000/2011 R1/2004 CBR 600RR track bike / 1994 GSXR 750/1996 CBR900RR / 2002 sv650s (wifes) /2003 CBR600RR / 2006 CBR 1000RR / 1997 GSXR 600 / 2001 RSV Aprilia 1000 / 2011 Z1000 / 2006 VTR 1000

Fantastic .... Great to see folks still doing stuff like this , instead of catching a plane and taking the easy way !!!
8you4t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:39 AM   #38
Carnage
Full of teh Swag

Motorcycle: ALL SOLD:Racebike included

Great thread. I've never heard of a road train before. That's new to me.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement