California Exhaust Ban Update; your state may also be included - Page 2 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > General Discussion > General Bike Talk

Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #21
PITBULLMAN
I Duplicate EVERY Thread!!

Motorcycle: 2013 GSX-R 1000
Re: California Exhaust Ban Update; your state may also be included

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.leopard View Post
Why so much drama? I believe you can put anything on your bike if you aren't going to ride on pubic roads, no?
Tell that to major dealers. They won't carry them nor sell them except for quads, etc.
PITBULLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #22
PITBULLMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Rain View Post
Sure, to an extent. There are laws on what type of off road exhaust systems to use when in the forests of California. There's even a noise ordinance for Laguna Seca during track days.

The California Law here is about street use though.

No emissions, but Florida does have a Noise Ordinance, which then plays into aftermarket exhaust systems.

The police can pull over anyone on a bike not wearing a helmet. Their documents are then checked if they are within Florida Law.
True, true, and true.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #23
PITBULLMAN

Also, keep in mind you do as you wish. It WILL be a fix-it ticket. You do as you wish for such.

Let's take a turn and look deeper into fix-it tickets and apply it to something more familiar.

Window tint.

You get one ticket, cool, fix the issue, have an officer sign off, pay the fine, your done.

Do it again and now you raise an eye brow, but you get the 2nd fix-it violation for your undoing the correction you previously made.

You cruise along and think "What are the odds" and then you leave suburbia grocery outlet in a quiet virtually crime-free neighborhood. You get pulled over by an extremely bored new officer and your exhaust is also noticed. As previously documented with citations, you are now written a third.

This time you do not typically get a "fix-it" ticket. You CAN but odd are against you if your local municipality uses certain databases/avenues and decide to do further checks and notify the officer of its availability.

Guess what? You are written up and given an order to show up to court to face the Judge and NOT another fix-it ticket. At this point you will have to explain WHY you purposely are defying the law on repeated incidents. You will at this point be at the mercy of the court system.

If a Judge gives you a direct court order to correct the issues and fines you heavy I'd like to see the reaction in the event you ignore such to later receive a citation be it tint or otherwise...
Old 06-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #24
TOEJAM
Ditchard the High Maintenance Squirrel

Motorcycle: 06 R1 Raven; '08 Triumph Sprint ST; '09 Triumph 675; '10 Yamaha R6; '13 Aprilia RSV4 APRC; '14 Honda Grom

Obviously you cant compare window tint to a loud exhaust, but in my experience, cops typically don't mess with bikers unless they are being asshats and calling for the attention.

I have ridden with no turn signals, full race exhaust, FE kit with the tag barely viewable, so on and so forth on many various occasions...and have never gotten a ticket for anything. I have never even been pulled over on a motorcycle (keep in mind that I have well over 100k street miles behind me...and counting).

But I am the guy in full gear, not doing stupid shit, short-shifting so the bike isn't revving at 12k all the time, not revving it up at red lights for no reason, not popping wheelies or swerving through traffic like an asshole, etc.

We have all heard the stories about the cops that have a hard-on for sportbikes. Maybe I have been lucky, but in my experience, if you don't do stupid shit to draw unnecessary attention to yourself, they wont mess with you.
WERA Expert #2
Chaotic Racing
STT Southern Region/Speed Academy Instructor
Sponsors = SportBike Track Gear - DiSalvo Speed Academy - Livengood Motorsports - Bell Helmets - Knox Armour
TOEJAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #25
a.leopard
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cainyboy

Motorcycle: zixxer 1k '06, k7 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITBULLMAN View Post
Tell that to major dealers. They won't carry them nor sell them except for quads, etc.
That definitely sucks. Are there any alternatives, like ordering from another state?
a.leopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #26
a.leopard
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cainyboy

Motorcycle: zixxer 1k '06, k7 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOEJAM View Post
But I am the guy in full gear, not doing stupid shit, short-shifting so the bike isn't revving at 12k all the time, not revving it up at red lights for no reason, not popping wheelies or swerving through traffic like an asshole, etc.

We have all heard the stories about the cops that have a hard-on for sportbikes. Maybe I have been lucky, but in my experience, if you don't do stupid shit to draw unnecessary attention to yourself, they wont mess with you.
Absolutely. Being sane person while riding the bike is the key.
a.leopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #27
Motionelco
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 2011 gsxr750

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOEJAM View Post
Obviously you cant compare window tint to a loud exhaust, but in my experience, cops typically don't mess with bikers unless they are being asshats and calling for the attention.

I have ridden with no turn signals, full race exhaust, FE kit with the tag barely viewable, so on and so forth on many various occasions...and have never gotten a ticket for anything. I have never even been pulled over on a motorcycle (keep in mind that I have well over 100k street miles behind me...and counting).

+1 couldn't have said it better myself. I personally don't like attention while on my bike. You'll also NEVER hear me revving my baby up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Motionelco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #28
Goobersbro
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 07 GSX-R 600

Quote:
All the dealers still sell them around here
Goobersbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #29
Motionelco
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
Yup down here too. Money talks my friend

Old 06-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #30
MotoMummy
Parts Bitch

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

Yes, dealers are getting fined for installing anything aftermarket or even selling it if you can't PROVE it's going on an off road bike. They have to prove that you're not going to use it on the street or they get fined thousands. That is why most manufacturers and distributors won't ship into California right now. They are big fish and California is going out of their way to fine/sue them. Gotta love it as they are not doing it to cars like they are bikes. I mean I fully understand bikes are horrible for the environment compared to cars that get so much better gas mileage, have smaller engines, and leave a smaller footprint LOL. Two large manufacturers in Cali were fined hundreds of thousands for selling to dealers in the state. So right now most dealers in the state can't get an exhaust shipped to them regardless if it's going on a street or track bike. I guess in Cali the burden of proof is on you to prove you're innocent. Unlike most of the US.

It's just another way Cali is trying to make money...

Check us out on Facebook too.
MotoMummy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #31
PITBULLMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMummy View Post
Yes, dealers are getting fined for installing anything aftermarket or even selling it if you can't PROVE it's going on an off road bike. They have to prove that you're not going to use it on the street or they get fined thousands. That is why most manufacturers and distributors won't ship into California right now. They are big fish and California is going out of their way to fine/sue them. Gotta love it as they are not doing it to cars like they are bikes. I mean I fully understand bikes are horrible for the environment compared to cars that get so much better gas mileage, have smaller engines, and leave a smaller footprint LOL. Two large manufacturers in Cali were fined hundreds of thousands for selling to dealers in the state. So right now most dealers in the state can't get an exhaust shipped to them regardless if it's going on a street or track bike. I guess in Cali the burden of proof is on you to prove you're innocent. Unlike most of the US.

It's just another way Cali is trying to make money...
Sad but true.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #32
PITBULLMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motionelco View Post
Yup down here too. Money talks my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post

When is the last time you checked? This exhaust thing is really starting to gain traction.

The only one, Yoshimura R77 EPA Approved, is going to make a killing for a good bit as they are the front runner in following the newly established laws that are soon to be in place in full effect.

I am thinking if you get it now or already have it you may be ok if you do not get pulled over for whatever reason. But purchasing one will become increasingly harder.

But keep in mind also, as stated the Senate Bill 435, it cannot be the reason he is pulling you over. It is a secondary citation in addition to why he actually pulled you over. But at the same time I asked an officer a couple yrs ago about how officers being able to give much more during a traffic stop/tickets. We were both standing on the sidewalk and he says ok, I'll show you. He says "see that guy? Didn't use left turn signal. Two seconds later, this guy changed lanes an almost cut him off... see that guy, the tread on his tires are too low and now safe.... see the lady there? She's talking on her phone using the iPhone style mic/earphones, those are not legal due to not being able to hear your surroundings despite hands free law.", etc. He was like, but most of the time there are more important things that need to be addressed so those people usually slip through the cracks. Once you are pulled over he said they can actually quite easily rack up a ton but most all don't and just give the speeding ticket, etc.

So long story short, it wouldn't take much to get pulled over and issued a citation followed by an exhaust infraction if he reeaaaaally wants to go by the book. Majority of time they won't as both SDPD and CHP stated to me last week. Their main concern is your behavior on public roads, if it smoking excessively, or if you have you have just an obnoxiously loud exhaust such as, in his words, "the little import cars that are raced out"...
Old 06-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #33
Goobersbro
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 07 GSX-R 600

Quote:
When is the last time you checked? This exhaust thing is really starting to gain traction.
Last week.....
Goobersbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #34
yourname2221
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2000 600 (motors out 750 going in)

Why are you so worried about getting pulled over for a simple exhaust. Ride safe, wear your gear, carry your documentation and be respectful. Cop is gonna have to go way out of his way to give u a ticket for the exhaust. Let alone your in your 30's once they see a little age on the rider they are more likely to let you go. Can't buy the exhaust from the dealer, so what, use the internet and either put it on yourself or find a local shop who doesn't GAF.
yourname2221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #35
Chocolate_Rain
I move away from the mic

Motorcycle: 2006 R1 50th

How many emissions sites in California are going to let you go with an aftermarket exhaust?

This isn't being worried about getting a ticket, it's knowing what the politicians are doing and the laws they are passing.

"Ignorance of the Law is no excuse."
Chocolate_Rain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #36
Bagherra
He Who Touches Himself

Motorcycle: 2K2 GSXR750 Y&B, 2006 GSXR1000 R&B

Like i said before....fuck California...
Bagherra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #37
ndiguy
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2011 GSX-R750, 2006 SV650

Quote:
How many emissions sites in California are going to let you go with an aftermarket exhaust?

This isn't being worried about getting a ticket, it's knowing what the politicians are doing and the laws they are passing.

California doesn't do emission testing on motorcycles. At least, not yet. No safety inspections either. Cars over 5 years old get tested every two years.
ndiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #38
performula
Function over F0RM

Motorcycle: L2 GSXR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagherra View Post
fuck California...
Werd up. The whole placed sucked except driving north on PCH. NYC > LA
performula is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #39
yourname2221
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2000 600 (motors out 750 going in)

Quote:

the same ones that cost 20 bucks and let cars go with shit. And see below the only thing to worry about post installation is getting a fix it ticket and that is rather trivial thing to worry about and since it cant be the only reason your pulled over for uhhh. Keep your ducks in a row and be respectful and you'll be fine to go. Hell keep your old exhaust if your so worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndiguy View Post
California doesn't do emission testing on motorcycles. At least, not yet. No safety inspections either. Cars over 5 years old get tested every two years.
yourname2221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #40
Motionelco
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula View Post
Werd up. The whole placed sucked except driving north on PCH. NYC > LA
I'd say you were at the wrong part of LA. It's awesome over here. Are you referring to the city or county ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in