2005 GSXR 1000 question (New owner from Kawi) : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R1000 General Forum

Old 06-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
cave750
Squid

2005 GSXR 1000 question (New owner from Kawi)

Hey fellas.
I just recently purchased a 05 Gsxr 1000. I haven't gotten to really push it yet, but I really love it so far. It makes power, and rides completely different than my 06 ZX-10. Its pretty cool riding the K5, and noticing the differences between the two.
ANYWAYS.... Im going to do some maintenance soon so The questions I have are:

What is the best clutch? OEM, Barnett, etc?

What are the best brakes?

Any tire suggestions? I was really enjoying Pilot powers, and power ones on my 10.

Keep in mind, when I am asking "What is the best" im pretty much asking what is closest to stock, or is a big improvement over stock, or even just the next best thing. Im just trying to do things the right way, before I buy a bunch of garbage on ebay.

Last edited by cave750; 06-07-2013 at 08:43 PM.
cave750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
performula
Function over F0RM

Motorcycle: L2 GSXR1
Re: 2005 GSXR 1000 question (New owner from Kawi)

First of all congratulations graduating from that POS...
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
cave750
Squid

LOL! Funny that you say that. I Was surrounded by a bunch of guys on 10's the other day, and it was non-stop shit talk about Suzukis. It was pretty weird being on the other side of the war like that. I havent got the right to talk trash about Kawasaki's...Yet. This particular bike that I have purchased is pretty damn strong from what I have experienced so far (2 days). I dont think it will be too hard to whoop a 10. This bike pulls pretty hard from low RPM's. Complete opposite of the 10
Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
TAgsxr1k
Rookie

Motorcycle: TAgsxr1k

Clutch. Stock frictions and steels....then choose stock springs or Barnett . Brakes. EBC HH epfa are nice but some here like other brands. PPowers 2ct are my personal faves on my 07 1000. I run a 190/55 rear because this bikes like to have the rear elevated a bit to quicken up the turn in. Some like others but these products are my picks. Congrats on the UPGRADE!!!!!!!
TAgsxr1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
cave750
Squid

Thanks for that! I was really hoping that I didnt have to go with the OEM clutch fibers+steels. But I guess its better to know whats right, instead of choosing the cheaper option.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
performula
Function over F0RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave750 View Post
LOL! Funny that you say that. I Was surrounded by a bunch of guys on 10's the other day, and it was non-stop shit talk about Suzukis. It was pretty weird being on the other side of the war like that. I havent got the right to talk trash about Kawasaki's...Yet. This particular bike that I have purchased is pretty damn strong from what I have experienced so far (2 days). I dont think it will be too hard to whoop a 10. This bike pulls pretty hard from low RPM's. Complete opposite of the 10
I speak from experience of owning a Kawasaki. The new ZX10 could ride on water, have 210whp, and with my experience, I will never own another Kwak. The bike always started but the quality and components are subpar.

You won't hear or read me saying anything too terrible about any other make.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
ricks041k
Rookie

Motorcycle: 2004 1k..stolen now 06 1k..and 90 750

Quote:
Thanks for that! I was really hoping that I didnt have to go with the OEM clutch fibers+steels. But I guess its better to know whats right, instead of choosing the cheaper option.
how many miles are on it now? does it need a clutch already or you just thinking of upgrading? your best bet is oem. everyone who has tried aftermarket has had issues and unless your doing a drag only bike and swaping out to a lock up assy. stay oem .for the most part the oem clutch will last a long time if cared for and ridden properly. got 20+ k on mine and still as smooth as day 1.
when your doing the brakes a good set of braided lines will be a nice improvement as well as flushing the system with good fluid. there are a lot of brands/ compounds for pads so your going to get a lot of mixed input on whats better to use. most will depend on is it going to be a street bike, track bike, street with track days etc..
does the bike already have any mods done or is it still stock? and welcome over you will def like the bike!

1990 750 in progress

1982 katana.. collecting dust
ricks041k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #8
Crashing Sucks
whiter than whole milk...

Motorcycle: K7 GSX-R 1000 (Steet Whore) 2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (Race Only) K3 Honda RC51 SP2 (Heavywieght Torque Demon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula View Post
I speak from experience of owning a Kawasaki. The new ZX10 could ride on water, have 210whp, and with my experience, I will never own another Kwak. The bike always started but the quality and components are subpar.

You won't hear or read me saying anything too terrible about any other make.
i agree, i had a 06 636 ninja for trackday use, i liked it alot until i really started pushing it a noticing poor components. i warped the brakes, and had a leaking countershaft seal after just 3 events. and when i would run "A" pace i would get false neutrals everywhere. i almost took a guy out behind that bs. sold it after that.......not going back
Crashing Sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
cave750
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks041k View Post
how many miles are on it now? does it need a clutch already or you just thinking of upgrading? your best bet is oem. everyone who has tried aftermarket has had issues and unless your doing a drag only bike and swaping out to a lock up assy. stay oem .for the most part the oem clutch will last a long time if cared for and ridden properly. got 20+ k on mine and still as smooth as day 1.
when your doing the brakes a good set of braided lines will be a nice improvement as well as flushing the system with good fluid. there are a lot of brands/ compounds for pads so your going to get a lot of mixed input on whats better to use. most will depend on is it going to be a street bike, track bike, street with track days etc..
does the bike already have any mods done or is it still stock? and welcome over you will def like the bike!
So the bike has 6,300 miles. WHen I gave the clutch a little "pop" in second gear, just to see how it would react, it felt like there was not alot of power there. Also under hard burst of acceleration in second, it feels like its slipping a little. Its not raining today, so after the ground dries up, Ill probably test it out again. I had gotten 20+ out of my OEM clutch on my 10 also. It only started to go down hill, once I started doing wheelies.

I will only be riding the bike on the street, but where I live you can still push the bike hard in certain areas. I m just saying this to say that its not just a commuter bike. The bike will be ridden hard somewhat regularly. The bike has a KR tuned full system, PC3, BMC filter, exhaust wrap. I would like to ride a stock K5 to tell what the difference is. If they all have the the same grunt and torque, then I could definitely see myself never touching another Kawi again!
Old 06-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
CRA#98
Novice

Motorcycle: 03 Bandit 1200& 06 gsxr 1000 racer

I've owned both bikes, theres pros and cons to both. The 06-07 zx10s were sneaky fast they came on silky smooth not like the big bottom end hit like the gsxrs. I love both bikes and no one is faster than the other but they shin in different areas. The 10 has more mid range and the front brakes are better, the gixxer has more low end and maybe more top. Both these bikes are awesome and I wouldnt mind owning an other 10!!
CRA#98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
ricks041k
Rookie

Quote:
So the bike has 6,300 miles. WHen I gave the clutch a little "pop" in second gear, just to see how it would react, it felt like there was not alot of power there. Also under hard burst of acceleration in second, it feels like its slipping a little. Its not raining today, so after the ground dries up, Ill probably test it out again. I had gotten 20+ out of my OEM clutch on my 10 also. It only started to go down hill, once I started doing wheelies.

I will only be riding the bike on the street, but where I live you can still push the bike hard in certain areas. I m just saying this to say that its not just a commuter bike. The bike will be ridden hard somewhat regularly. The bike has a KR tuned full system, PC3, BMC filter, exhaust wrap. I would like to ride a stock K5 to tell what the difference is. If they all have the the same grunt and torque, then I could definitely see myself never touching another Kawi again!
thats really low miles to need a clutch unless its been whooped on/ neglected pretty badly. i would check to make sure its adjusted propely and also pull the side cover and make sure the rod isnt gummed up with grease/ dirt etc and may be hanging up a bit. i def ride mine hard and has similar mods and clutch has been flawless so far. may also want to do a oil change and run a good oil. poss the prev owner didnt use the preper oil which can also give clutch issues
Old 06-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #12
cave750
Squid

SO I got to beat on the bike a little bit more today. The clutch is definitely slipping. If I ride it regularly its fine, but when I give it a fist full of gas, the rps's rise, and then eventually it all catches up. Giving the clutch a pop in second, dosent really react properly either. If im gonna pull the side cover, im gonna probably just end up putting a new one in anyways. I just bought some OEM fiber plates. Do you think that any type of steels will be ok(barnett?), or just stick to OEM? Also something was mentioned about good oil. I was gonna get mobile 1 ( i think thats the name) from track auto. Would this be considered "bad oil"? I was always told to just change it after every 2000 miles, and thats all that matters.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Anthony D
Super Moderator

Motorcycle: None currently...

if the clutch is slipping at only 6,300 miles the bike was definitely abused. i had about twice that on my old k6 1k race bike, with quite a few launches, and the clutch was still good.

could just be out of adjustment (k5 started the slipper clutches), so check that first. if it is still slipping even after it is adjusted properly, get oem fibers, steels, and springs, and replace all of them.

as for brakes, take the whole braking system apart, and clean everything, especially the calipers and pistons. get new seals for the pistons, and really get in there with a toothbrush and some simple green and scrub the shit out of them. then put everything back together, and get some good quality dot4 fluid in there. get some spiegler braided lines, and as for brake pads, performance friction, carbon lorraine, and vesrah all make great stuff.

for tires, any of the big 4 companies will work well for that bike, dunlop, michelin, bridgestone, and pirelli. tires are a personal choice, so use what has worked for you in the past.
Anthony D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
a.leopard
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cainyboy

Motorcycle: zixxer 1k '06, k7 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula View Post
First of all congratulations graduating from that POS...
a.leopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
cave750
Squid

SO....I took the bike to the shop to get it inspected, this is what was found.

-Missing 02 sensor/plug for the full exhaust system

-Couple of bolts seem to be not screwed in all the way where the headers screw into the cylinder head

-Steering head bearings possible need to be replaced

They said that the cylinder head threads may have been stripped. But then again, they could not and just need to be screwed in. ( handling that tomorrow). That combined with the 02 sensor hole in my pipe might be the season why Im not feeling the power in the way that I was expecting. So i guess thats good and bad news. When it comes to steering head bearings, Im not really sure what to do. Im Gonna do the work myself, im just unsure of any special tools needed and what is the right part(s) to get. Anyone ever done this procedure before?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
ricks041k
Rookie

Quote:
SO....I took the bike to the shop to get it inspected, this is what was found.

-Missing 02 sensor/plug for the full exhaust system

-Couple of bolts seem to be not screwed in all the way where the headers screw into the cylinder head

-Steering head bearings possible need to be replaced

They said that the cylinder head threads may have been stripped. But then again, they could not and just need to be screwed in. ( handling that tomorrow). That combined with the 02 sensor hole in my pipe might be the season why Im not feeling the power in the way that I was expecting. So i guess thats good and bad news. When it comes to steering head bearings, Im not really sure what to do. Im Gonna do the work myself, im just unsure of any special tools needed and what is the right part(s) to get. Anyone ever done this procedure before?
what exhaust is on there? the 06 doesnt have a o2 sensor. didn't start until the 07 models. if it is a aftermarket system with a bung on it and the plug is missing you would have a noticeable - loud exhaust leak, but not going to cause a huge loss in power. the lose header bolts on the adapters shouldn't be a big deal, usually inspect mine every service and have had to snug up at times. the head bearings are also not to bad of a job as long as you have a way to hang the front of the bike and a socket for the stem nuts . i have seen a lot of these come thru from the factory with little to no grease on them. may just need to remove them and grease and re torque.

1990 750 in progress

1982 katana.. collecting dust
Old 06-15-2013, 05:07 AM   #17
Anthony D
Super Moderator

Motorcycle: None currently...

Go to a new shop... The 05/06 1000's don't have o2 sensors.
Anthony D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
oldgixxer
Loves to nibble on Shannons huge boobs

Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricks041k View Post
your best bet is oem. everyone who has tried aftermarket has had issues and unless your doing a drag only bike and swaping out to a lock up assy. stay oem .for the most part the oem clutch will last a long time if cared for and ridden properly
Suzuki OEM clutch fibers/steels are the best(as you stated);they work perfectly in all applications. We run them in both my turbo bikes,each has a lock-up and one is pushing well north of 400rwhp. Pretty much every Suzuki drag bike runs OEM fibers/steels,they are that good.

And like was also mentioned the K5/6 is very finicky with clutch adjustments;if youre beating on the clutch/launching hard from a stop you need to adjust/check after every few rides. Takes all of 10mins&is very simple....but can cause major grief if not performed.

Last edited by oldgixxer; 06-15-2013 at 05:26 AM.
oldgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
performula
Function over F0RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.leopard View Post
My opinion/experience isn't end all be all. Just shooting my feeling about my bike.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
Hey fellas.
I just recently purchased a 05 Gsxr 1000. I haven't gotten to really push it yet, but I really love it so far. It makes power, and rides completely different than my 06 ZX-10. Its pretty cool riding the K5, and noticing the differences between the two.
ANYWAYS.... Im going to do some maintenance soon so The questions I have are:

What is the best clutch? OEM, Barnett, etc?

What are the best brakes?

Any tire suggestions? I was really enjoying Pilot powers, and power ones on my 10.

Keep in mind, when I am asking "What is the best" im pretty much asking what is closest to stock, or is a big improvement over stock, or even just the next best thing. Im just trying to do things the right way, before I buy a bunch of garbage on ebay.

As everyone said, nothing tops the OEM clutch pack.

Brakes and tires are going to be as varied as your particular tastes as well as type of riding. If you are familiar and comfortable with Michelin Pilots then stick with them. When it comes to brakes do you want pads that are linear and more progressive or do you want ones are more grabby with high initial bite?

As with most things there aren't too many one size fits all aspects to motorcycle upgrades and replacement components.
SPL170db is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement