[Video] Start / Idle Problem GSXR-750 k9 - Page 55 : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 08-10 GSX-R600/750

Old 06-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #1081
bocce
Novice

Re: [Video] Start / Idle Problem GSXR-750 k9

Alrighty... new stator replaced... that thing was seriously burnt out! I'm back into testing mode.

I've started her a few times since Friday - no problems. She's been dormant for the past few weeks due to loss of stator, shes been sitting outside in the cold.

Vacuum lines have been replaced. Fingers crossed this has done the trick. Only time will tell. I'll let ya'll know if the problem shows up - but I'm seriously hoping its doesn't.
bocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #1082
YouWish
Back Marker

Motorcycle: K9 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocce View Post
Alrighty... new stator replaced... that thing was seriously burnt out! I'm back into testing mode.

I've started her a few times since Friday - no problems. She's been dormant for the past few weeks due to loss of stator, shes been sitting outside in the cold.

Vacuum lines have been replaced. Fingers crossed this has done the trick. Only time will tell. I'll let ya'll know if the problem shows up - but I'm seriously hoping its doesn't.
Well I'm crossing my fingers for you and all of us!

I just picked up some vacuum line and t fittings as well and will be installing shortly with the IAP interrupt switch!
YouWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #1083
Varinn
Rookie

Motorcycle: '09 750

What size vacuum hose is needed and where can I find part numbers on the fittings?
Varinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #1084
YouWish
Back Marker

3mm vacuum lines and T fittings that will work with said lines!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #1085
bocce
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouWish View Post
Well I'm crossing my fingers for you and all of us!

I just picked up some vacuum line and t fittings as well and will be installing shortly with the IAP interrupt switch!
photos of the switch please? are you cutting off all 3 wires? or just the power wire?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #1086
YouWish
Back Marker

Quote:
photos of the switch please? are you cutting off all 3 wires? or just the power wire?
You know I was just thinking about that but I think cutting the power should be sufficient. I will snap a couple of pics for sure!
Old 06-03-2013, 04:21 AM   #1087
bocce
Novice

I started bike today... the right weather for the problem to show up. She sounded like she was going to head south with the idle, but after a couple of seconds she was like "nah, I got this." No smoke, the idle wasn't perfect.

So, still no signs of the issues showing up after changing vac lines. BUT... I'm not 100% convinced.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #1088
bocce
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouWish View Post
You know I was just thinking about that but I think cutting the power should be sufficient. I will snap a couple of pics for sure!
I was thinking the same thing... how to make the one switch turn off all 3?
Hopefully power will be enough, otherwise the lead going back to the ECU. What a shitty workaround, I wish we could just fin the problem and fix it. Fark!

I'm not sure if the dude I bought my bike off had this problem. When I first bought her I lived in apartment building and the bike sat in a garage 3 stories underground. It was a balmy temp all year round down there... never had this problem until we bought a place and she now has to sit outside... damn I wish I had a garage!
Old 06-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #1089
Mysteryman
Novice

Motorcycle: 2012 Yamaha R1, K8 GSX-R750 (sold)

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing... how to make the one switch turn off all 3?
Hopefully power will be enough, otherwise the lead going back to the ECU. What a shitty workaround, I wish we could just fin the problem and fix it. Fark!

I'm not sure if the dude I bought my bike off had this problem. When I first bought her I lived in apartment building and the bike sat in a garage 3 stories underground. It was a balmy temp all year round down there... never had this problem until we bought a place and she now has to sit outside... damn I wish I had a garage!
Mine is in a garage. It doesn't help

Thinking back though, the problem seems to happen more frequently now. The first time it happened, it was months before it happened again. It became slowly more frequent, which makes me think it's something that it wearing out. Vacuum lines, for instance, which might have a crack or split that is getting slowly worse.
Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #1090
AnthK7
Rookie

[QUOTE=Mysteryman;5980327]Mine is in a garage. It doesn't help

If that's the case then it's definitely not the IAP as I have Been running and still am Bocce's suspect IAP for the last month and a bit and not had any trouble with it. For the 1st week I kept the bike just under my back veranda with no problems I then moved it back inside my brick garage and still no problems Bocce keeps his bike out side and would get the problem on cold mornings which is why I moved mine outside when testing his old sensors in my bike.

When vacuum line is disconnected my bike display's this problem but I remember reading on this thread a guy who also had this problem kept his bike under a carport with a cover over the bike and he noticed when looking under the tank the he had a lot moisture around his injector wiring plugs thi was also on very cold mornings he came to the conclusion that the moisture was shorting the injectors making the bike idle and run like shit. But after the engine warmed up the hea from the engine would dry up the moisture and bike would run normal.
His fix was to rap each injector plug with electrical tape and that was enough to keep the moisture out. I haven't seen him back on this thread so I guess the problem never came back.
Something else you guys could check out if you haven't already.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
AnthK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #1091
kwaka10r
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K1 1000, K7 750

Hi Guys, there may be more than one problem with the same symptoms, however if not, the moisture thing doesn't make sense.

I keep coming back to this step to help troubleshooting. Pull the IAP sensor plug. If it idles good then it can't be the moisture on the injector plugs. Remember the ECM defaults to sea level for an IAP sensor fault, so if you are at high altitude it will run rich on ECM default for no IAP sensor.
kwaka10r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #1092
viper84737
Novice

[quote=AnthK7;5981259]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
His fix was to rap each injector plug with electrical tape and that was enough to keep the moisture out. I haven't seen him back on this thread so I guess the problem never came back.
Something else you guys could check out if you haven't already.
Strangely I do remember someone (possibly one of my friends who also had this issue on his K9 750). He changed out his plugs and the problem never returned. Not saying that's a definitive hit, but it may be something. Has anyone been able to check moisture near their injectors when the problem occurs?

It would make sense that once the bike warms up, the moisture would have evaporated (sometimes) and the problem goes away. Sometimes there may be more or less moisture than at other times, which could explain the intermittency of the problem as well as the time it takes to solve it by letting the engine warm up.
viper84737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #1093
AnthK7
Rookie

I suggested the above for those that may not of had success with unplugging the IAP as we all seam very focused on this area now.
I'm more inclined to put this down to some sort of vacuum leak the only thing that puts doubt in my mind is that it
Goes away when the bike warms up.
If its the vacuum lines I can't see how when they worm up the leak is sealed plastic and rubber will expand with heat as I'm sure you all know. So why when cold would the problem show its self when everything was cold and contracted then be fine when it expands. This leads me to think if a vacuum leak is the problem it's leaking from a part that fits inside another part so when cold it shrinks and there is a leak and when it warms up it expands and seals which suggests a connection point such as where vac lines join on tees or to the throttle bodies, injector ports, air in take ports butterfly pivots where they enter and exit the throttle bodies.
Bocce has had so far a good result from completely replacing his Vacuum lines but as he has said he had RR and sator or problems for most of may and has only just got the bike going again this last week so its still early days.
But I think it only cost him like $10-$15
So the More that try it the faster it will prove to be the fix or not.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #1094
all_rice
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_rice View Post
Aloha all! Sorry for the late update. So after running all the cleaners and replacing the plugs, the bike has been running awesome. It actually runs better than when I bought it. I have since been putting fuel stabilizer with every tank and I'm going to start buying fuel with out ethanol in it.
WOW I can't believe this thread is still alive. Ever since I replaced the plugs and ran cleaner through my bike, the problem has never came back. not even a hint of it. Bike runs better than when i first bought it. Best of luck to you guys!
all_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:59 AM   #1095
jr41
Back Marker

Motorcycle: Suzuki GSXR 600 K9

did anyone check fuel injection? doesnt that clog up?

mines happening right now after working, wanting to go home. cutting out on idle, black smoke, etc. sounds like not enough fuel going in, so might check fuel injection out and give it a good clean if i find info on how to clean it out.

Last edited by jr41; 06-07-2013 at 03:40 AM.
jr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #1096
kwaka10r
Club Racer

Motorcycle: K1 1000, K7 750

Black smoke = rich, not lean.

all_rice, you may have had a different problem. Seems to me there may be some that have come here with different issues similar symptoms.

AnthK7, so are you saying there are people that have posted here that they unplugged the IAP and it didn't make a difference? So many posts here I can't keep up.
kwaka10r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #1097
AnthK7
Rookie

Not that I know of just trying to bring past fix's to this end of the thread for those that may be having similar problems such as the post just above also checking for excessive moisture around electrical connections could help in finding this problem as well.
Have any of you guys actually checked the IAP plug for moisture when the problem has shown its self, that could explain why the problem goes away when the bike warms up.
Here is an idea next time anyone gets the problem turn the bike off if you have a compressor pull the IAP plug and blow compressed air through the plug plug it back in start her up and see if the problem persists. If it runs ok assuming you turned it off the 1st time before it warmed up try rapping the IAP plug and wires with electrical tape or if you can see the plug is damaged, maybe cracked or something like that also if you haven't already take a good look at the plugs contacts are they clean or are they rusted up if so replacing the plug or contacts may solve the problem.
More often then not irregular problems are a contact or shorting problem.
Worth checking it out.

Last edited by AnthK7; 06-07-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #1098
YouWish
Back Marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthK7 View Post
Not that I know of just trying to bring past fix's to this end of the thread for those that may be having similar problems such as the post just above also checking for excessive moisture around electrical connections could help in finding this problem as well.
Have any of you guys actually checked the IAP plug for moisture when the problem has shown its self, that could explain why the problem goes away when the bike warms up.
Here is an idea next time anyone gets the problem turn the bike off if you have a compressor pull the IAP plug and blow compressed air through the plug plug it back in start her up and see if the problem persists. If it runs ok assuming you turned it off the 1st time before it warmed up try rapping the IAP plug and wires with electrical tape or if you can see the plug is damaged, maybe cracked or something like that also if you haven't already take a good look at the plugs contacts are they clean or are they rusted up if so replacing the plug or contacts may solve the problem.
Worth checking it out.

Good idea I will fill that pos with dielectric grease for sure...

Bocce sorry that IAP interrupt switch is going to be another week or so cause I totally bent 2 of the little contacts while trying to insert them into the plastic connector housing and had to order more. BTW going to interrupt the ground wire.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #1099
Mysteryman
Novice

Motorcycle: 2012 Yamaha R1, K8 GSX-R750 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthK7 View Post
Worth checking it out.

I thoroughly examined two different sensors on two different occasions when the problem was present and didn't detect any moisture.
Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #1100
viper84737
Novice

Another data point for you all:

Today in Toronto I rode out (from the 'burbs) without issues. The sky was blanketed in dark clouds all day, as if it was going to rain, but the water vapor in the air hadn't reached that threshold yet) and I was almost certain I would experience the issue on the ride out, many hours later. Temperatures were a steady 13-15C from morning until afternoon, when I left downtown after 6 hours for an indoor parking garage. The problem did occur. However, at the parking garage (drier and warmer) another 5 hours later, the issue did not occur.

I normally do NOT have the issue, and it is very intermittent, yet today I was somehow able to predict it given the weather conditions.

The problem occurs AFTER cooling down after a ride && happens on shitty cooler/damper days -- ergo I am thinking there is a moisture culprit involved.

Does anyone know how these sensors actually work? Maybe if we can find that out, we can force the issue or gain further information.
viper84737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement