Top Tree Nut Issue : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Tech Forums > Chassis, Suspension & Tire Setup

Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
dahellwitu
Novice

Motorcycle: 2004 GSX-R 600
edit-Top Tree Nut Issue w/pics

Hey guys, Fairly new to this site and a few questions about my top tree nut.

I took my 04 GSXR 600 for a ride on Saturday and missed a pot hole. After I hit it, something flew off the bike. I pulled over to see what it was and found that the top tree nut looks like it broke off. From the looks of it, the nut stripped the stem. I wasn't sure what to do, so I took the bike back home and put it away.

At first, I thought the nut just came undone and that I just needed to replace it, so I went to my SUZUKI dealer ordered the part and went home. I looked over the bike again when I got home and noticed then that I think the stem broke off...the reason I say this is because I don't see how I would be able to screw on the new nut i just bought...would I have to buy a whole new stem or triple tree? Looking for some help and advice...

I will post up pics later when I finish work.

Thanks...

---EDIT---

Here is the pic of what it looks like.......

opinions now?

Last edited by dahellwitu; 01-16-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added pics
dahellwitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 600k2
Re: Top Tree Nut Issue

I want to see this. Sounds like it needs a new lower clamp if the stem threads broke off the top.
600k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
tas1100g
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1986 GSX-R1100 & 1979 GS 850GN

This will be interesting. How the heck does that happen?
tas1100g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Spook155
Dick/Vagina Embracer

Motorcycle: 2014 Yamaha FZ-09

I had my stem nut come off while riding last season, the only thing that happened was that the top triple had shifted out of place a bit, and when I was torquing down the new one if pushed the tree back down. Maybe that's all that happened to yours, is that it shifted out of place.
Spook155 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
dahellwitu
Novice

I wonder if the previous owner may have torqued the nut too much. I have not touched the top tree since I bought the bike last year. Could the over torque and the pot hole cause it to rip off?

i'm still at work, so pics will most likely come tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
SPL170db
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahellwitu View Post
I wonder if the previous owner may have torqued the nut too much. I have not touched the top tree since I bought the bike last year. Could the over torque and the pot hole cause it to rip off?

i'm still at work, so pics will most likely come tomorrow.

He would have had to crank pretty good and hard on it. I think it's something like 70 ft/lbs. The other highly probably cause is he tossed it down the road and damaged it.
SPL170db is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
He would have had to crank pretty good and hard on it. I think it's something like 70 ft/lbs. The other highly probably cause is he tossed it down the road and damaged it.
the nuts aluminum I think if you over tightened it you would break the nut before you broke to steel stem.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
dahellwitu
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
I want to see this. Sounds like it needs a new lower clamp if the stem threads broke off the top.
You were indeed correct. I went to take a picture but I dropped my phone and cracked the camera...

I ordered a used one off ebay yesterday, hopefully i get by this weekend or next. my only issue now is to replace it...anyone got a how to laying around? haha..
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
dahellwitu
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL170db View Post
I wouldn't doubt it if he layed it down. He says he didn't, but the scratches on the fairings told a different story.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Ratchet straps around the frame.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook155 View Post
I had my stem nut come off while riding last season, the only thing that happened was that the top triple had shifted out of place a bit, and when I was torquing down the new one if pushed the tree back down. Maybe that's all that happened to yours, is that it shifted out of place.
how the fuck did that happen? That means not only was the top nut loose, but also the triple clamp fork pinch bolts were loose.

OP is the stem not sticking out anymore? If so I HIGHLY doubt it broke off. But if not then the front end would have ahd to slid down, which means a BUNCH of shit came loose. The stem is attached to lower triple. It has two castle nuts above the steering neck, below the upper triple that holds it in. Then the Lower triple is clamped to the forks which also should hold it since the forks are also clamped by the upper triple. THEN the top nut is above the upper triple sandwiching it between the top nut and the castle nuts that are holding the steering stem/lower triple

Motomummy.com : D&A Cycles of Macon : Livengood Motorsports
us129photos.com : JRI Shocks : M4 Exhaust : Moto D Racing : Dunlop : Hazardous Racing :SFH : SBS : VHS :
www.GoMotoJoe.com
Coupon code "motojoe" for discount on hazardous racing leathers
2013 WERA National Challenge 3rd place
WERA Expert #20

Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
Spook155
Dick/Vagina Embracer

Motorcycle: 2014 Yamaha FZ-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
how the fuck did that happen? That means not only was the top nut loose, but also the triple clamp fork pinch bolts were loose.
you would have been amazed at some of the things that were done to this bike when I had bought it. Between the condition of the plastics, the "upgrades" and the hack service work, you could say I rescued the bike, but then again, I'm no professional but am better with a set of tools than most newcomers.

I know I've mentioned some of this before in other posts, but my favorite thing about the bike, that really let me know what kind of work was done to it, was the install of your basic HID lights. They were wired directly to the battery, with a switch under the seat to turn them on and off. The headlight harness works fine, I showed that with my how-to on the projector install Gives the bike character, right? I keep the switch on the bike, it just does nothing, it'll confuse whoever gets this bike next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart01 View Post
I would strongly suggest wearing a pair of pants that has no bottoms in the pockets. This way, you can scratch your nuts in church while still appearing to be a classy guy.
Spook155 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
dahellwitu
Novice

Quote:
OP is the stem not sticking out anymore? If so I HIGHLY doubt it broke off. But if not then the front end would have ahd to slid down, which means a BUNCH of shit came loose. The stem is attached to lower triple. It has two castle nuts above the steering neck, below the upper triple that holds it in. Then the Lower triple is clamped to the forks which also should hold it since the forks are also clamped by the upper triple. THEN the top nut is above the upper triple sandwiching it between the top nut and the castle nuts that are holding the steering stem/lower triple

I really wish I could take a picture to show you. All i can say for sure is the top nut came completely off and I can't put on the new piece because there is no threading for it. I'm gonna see if my roomate will take a pic for me and send the pic through e-mail. maybe then I can get it posted to show you what i mean.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
dahellwitu
Novice

pics added
Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
Moto_Joe

You need a new lower triple tree... at least. .... and holy shit at the rust and shit on that bike ... poor thing

I cant fathom how that happened. That is fucking nuts. First time I have ever seen that on ANY bike.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
600k2
Lifetime Premium

Looks like red loctite to me. Broken clean off. The clamp is down all the way.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
dahellwitu
Novice

Quote:
You need a new lower triple tree... at least. .... and holy shit at the rust and shit on that bike ... poor thing

I cant fathom how that happened. That is fucking nuts. First time I have ever seen that on ANY bike.
tell me about it...the guy wanted $5k for the bike, but i talked him down to $3.5k cuz of the cosmetics etc..i havent been able to ride for 2 months...its fuckin killing me!!!

i already bought a lower triple tree and is on its way...now i just need someone who knows how to swap it out..

Last edited by dahellwitu; 01-16-2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
Moto_Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600k2 View Post
Looks like red loctite to me. Broken clean off. The clamp is down all the way.

Not on those tank bolts its not
Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #19
Moto_Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahellwitu View Post
tell me about it...the guy wanted $5k for the bike, but i talked him down to $3.5k cuz of the cosmetics etc..i havent been able to ride for 2 months...its fuckin killing me!!!

i already bought a lower triple tree and is on its way...now i just need someone who knows how to the swap help out..
I am such a nice guy, that if you fly me out to Hawaii I will fix it for you for free
Old 01-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #20
dahellwitu
Novice

Quote:
I am such a nice guy, that if you fly me out to Hawaii I will fix it for you for free
haha...yeh if tickets weren't 1000$+ i'd consider it..everything out here is expensive...i'm sure yall can see why i'd rather try and do it on my own...put it simply, to call a tow to my place costs flat rate 80$..then i believe it was 10$ a mile...my dads house has a garage that i can install hooks to support the bike, but they want to charge almost 300$ just for the tow itself.....lol fuck that..

i'm out of options tho hahaha...kill me now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement