gsxr coolant HELP! : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > GSX-R600 / GSX-R750 General forum > 06-07 GSX-R600/750

Old 01-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
ndrszpt
Squid

gsxr coolant HELP!

k6 600 recently did a coolant change and flush i replaced it with engine ice in hope to get my operating temps down

before my bike wouldnt really go over 220 and if it did the fan would not let it get over 223 but now with engine ice in it its 225 224 in the city at a light doesnt pass 225 but should i be worried i did burp n bleed the system idk what to do guys please any input would be great
ndrszpt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
gixxr_06
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 06 Gsx-R 6
Re: gsxr coolant HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrszpt View Post
k6 600 recently did a coolant change and flush i replaced it with engine ice in hope to get my operating temps down

before my bike wouldnt really go over 220 and if it did the fan would not let it get over 223 but now with engine ice in it its 225 224 in the city at a light doesnt pass 225 but should i be worried i did burp n bleed the system idk what to do guys please any input would be great
i have engine ice in my bike aswell and when im at alight i kill my bike so it doesnt over heat.. but sometimes when i dont my bike will run that hot when im at a light but i honestly dont think its anything to worry about
gixxr_06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
ndrszpt
Squid

thanks man and that sucks i was better off with my old coolant haha this thing gets hot im in miami and its not even summer yet
the thing that worries me is that it never drops even when the fan kicks on it used to atleast stay at 220 with my old coolant at idle
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
TheCunningMan
Club Racer

Motorcycle: 750k6

Best coolant in order:

1. Distilled water + Redline Water Wetter
2. Straight Distilled water.
3. OEM coolant or equivalent.
TheCunningMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
gixxr_06
Lifetime Premium

u might want to replace ur thermostat... if its stayinging hot all the time it could be sticking
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Mr645
Dont take ANY of my advice, EVER, when it comes to riding motorycles.

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 1000

220-225F is normal. No worries. When there is no air moving over the radiator, there is nothing taking away heat, so when it reaches a little over 220F the fan comes on.
Mr645 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
Ironhead401
Team CGR Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxr_06 View Post
i have engine ice in my bike aswell and when im at alight i kill my bike so it doesnt over heat.. but sometimes when i dont my bike will run that hot when im at a light but i honestly dont think its anything to worry about
The short time you shut the bike off at a light is not going to cool your bike down. If the system is working properly, it's not going to overheat.
Ironhead401 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
gixxr_06
Lifetime Premium

here in phx we have prolonged lights , i knw it wont cool my bike down but it will keep it from getting hotter from just sitting there idling
Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #9
Mr645
Dont take ANY of my advice, EVER, when it comes to riding motorycles.

Motorcycle: 2003 GSXR 1000

When you shut the engine off, there is no more water pump to provide cooling fluid around the engine. The temp gauge measures coolant temp, not engine temp. The engine can actually get hotter as it sits not running even though the coolant gets cooler.
Mr645 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
TheGeek
Stupid. Who's with me?

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & Million Edition 1000

^^^ the engine is already hot. It just has time to heat the water near the sensor since it's not circulating.
TheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Graveyard
Rectally Assaulted on a Regular Basis

Motorcycle: 06 Gixxer 1000, 06 gixxer 600

Mr645 is exactly right those are perfectly normal temps honestly do you think 2 degrees makes a difference OP. I run my stunt bike in the lot and it gets to 235 all the time and running slow wheelies and an idle at 4000rpm doesn't really help airflow and keeping the engine cool. I have friends in Phoenix and they don't shut there bikes off at lights. Your bike has a shutoff that will kill your bike if it gets to hot before it damages your bike. Don't bother changing your coolant or loosing any sleep over it, your bike is running normally. There is nothing wrong with his thermostat gixxer_06 you might want to do a little reading on your machine so you fully understand what it's capable of and it's limits.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
Moto_Joe
Serial Comma Rapist Admin

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

do NOT shut a bike off that is hot to try to cool it down. The coolant in the engine heats up hotter and it is not good for it.

If your bike is running hotter than normal, make SURE it is full of coolant. The radiator needs to be absolutely full when the bike is cold. make sure none of the hoses have air trapped in them, and bleed the thermostat.
Moto_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
rv6john
Club Racer

Motorcycle: GSXR 750K6, 2007 Kawasaki Z1000, Aprilia SXV550, DR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
Your bike has a shutoff that will kill your bike if it gets to hot before it damages your bike.
This is this first time I've heard this, I doubt it. It would be very dangerous.

I had a friend that left the TOS (tip over sensor) loose when he put on his track plastics. It shut off in the third corner. Fortunately, they were only on the warm up lap and didn't drop it.
rv6john is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
ndrszpt
Squid

thanks for the help guys now its getting up to the 226 range just with the oem fluid that was in it it would nevver get that hot plus it would go down pretty quick with the fans however now it doesnt go down quick at all

but i did bleed the system this week im going to double check fluids and make sure there isnt any extra air around the system

keep you guys in the loop

I live in miami fl just worried about how hot this thing will get for summer but ENGINE ICE is a god damn lie sh*t does not drop temps
Old 01-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
MidnightRunner
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 2001 GSXR 600

Quote:
thanks for the help guys now its getting up to the 226 range just with the oem fluid that was in it it would nevver get that hot plus it would go down pretty quick with the fans however now it doesnt go down quick at all

but i did bleed the system this week im going to double check fluids and make sure there isnt any extra air around the system

I live in miami fl just worried about how hot this thing will get for summer but ENGINE ICE is a god damn lie sh*t does not drop temps

I wouldn't worry about it until it gets to 230+. Then we might have issues lol. I'm in Orlando and it's the same as a car. It gets hot but no worries unless it climes and doesnt stop.
MidnightRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
Moto_Joe

Quote:

With it only mildly warm right now it really should not be getting that hot that easy. But it is not a concern as long as the fans turn on and it cools back between 220-225
Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
ndrszpt
Squid

alright cool that makes me a little less worried ill make sure it doesnt pass the 230 temps keep you guys posted
Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
Moto_Joe

Quote:
alright cool that makes me a little less worried ill make sure it doesnt pass the 230 temps keep you guys posted
Still need to make sure the fan comes on and it is %100full in the radiator. Also be sure the cap.is all the way tight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in