86 GSX-R 750R LE carb stuff : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > Oil Cooled Gixxers

Old 01-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Huey130
Novice

Motorcycle: CRF88 Supertard with nitrous
86 GSX-R 750R LE carb stuff

So getting an LE going for a customer. One of the carbs is jacked. I researched the fische and it initially looked like there was no difference between the LE and regular 750 in the carb department. So I found another set of carbs and stole the body I needed and went to town rebuilding the rack.

Wasn't until pretty much the last step of reassembly that I noticed the difference!
The OD of both the airbox and engine side are the exact same... and thats what I had originally just glanced at. HOWEVER the ID is completely different by about 2 mm! And it hasn't been bored. The internal parts are slightly different such as the slide and plastic slide-guide. EVERYTHING ELSE is pretty much the same. Well the jetting was different but I had chalked that up to the possibility of the one I got off Ebay running pod filters or an exhaust (they had 35 pilots versus 32.5 and 140 MJ instead of 117.5).

So: are the carbs from a LE and a regular GSX-R 750 really different? What the hell are these carbs? Could these have been 1100 carbs? What the hell?

I hate posting in the blind like this but there's not a lot of good information on these and I know there's people that own them and know more about them than I.

Thanks y'all.

Last edited by Huey130; 01-09-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Huey130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
Huey130
Novice

Re: 86 GSX-R 750R LE carb stuff

Picture: don't give me too much crap for not noticing this. I was looking specifically at OD when I was making sure they were right.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
latendresse76
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 1988 GSX-R 750, 2x 1987 GSX-R 1100, 1985 GS1150e

should say on the carb on the right in the image what they are such as 28A00... you could also measure what the ID is to help identify
latendresse76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Huey130
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by latendresse76 View Post
should say on the carb on the right in the image what they are such as 28A00... you could also measure what the ID is to help identify
Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! What a newbie. I'd never seen the part number on the body. I guess I'd looked too fast.

Here's what we're coming down to and want to see if y'all concur:
Original carbs = 28A00 measure 31mm
"New" carbs = 27B30 measure 34mm

Did the LE and normal GSXR have 28A00?
Are the 27B30 for a 1987? I thought they were always the same (looking at part numbers) but I'm finding conflicting data on sites.

Further looking like:
31mm = 28A00 for R and 49 State 1986 models, 28A10 for 86 Cali
34mm = 27B30 for 49 State 1987, 27B40 for 87 Cali

Last edited by Huey130; 01-09-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
latendresse76
Back Marker

Motorcycle: 1988 GSX-R 750, 2x 1987 GSX-R 1100, 1985 GS1150e

the 28A00 are the 49 state carbs
the cali LE carbs are 28A10
the 34mm would be for an 86-88 1100 being that they had 34mm carbs
though the manual says that they say 06b30 on the side
latendresse76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Huey130
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by latendresse76 View Post
the 28A00 are the 49 state carbs
the cali LE carbs are 28A10
the 34mm would be for an 86-88 1100 being that they had 34mm carbs
though the manual says that they say 06b30 on the side
I sincerely appreciate your help. I was more kind of reporting back from my Suzuki contact with the bottom of my post.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
javadog
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: I don't ride anything. Who has the time? Plus, everything I own is in pieces.

Congrat's, you have a set of 34mm carbs off of an '87 750. A 49 state model, to be exact. Note also that for '87 Suzuki changed the intake boots and don't be at all surprised if they opened up the intake ports in the head a wee bit.

They should still work on an '86. I'm throwing a set on my Ltd. as we speak. OF course, you need to have 4 of the same carb on the bike...

JR
javadog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Huey130
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Congrat's, you have a set of 34mm carbs off of an '87 750. A 49 state model, to be exact. Note also that for '87 Suzuki changed the intake boots and don't be at all surprised if they opened up the intake ports in the head a wee bit.

They should still work on an '86. I'm throwing a set on my Ltd. as we speak. OF course, you need to have 4 of the same carb on the bike...

JR
Thanks JR. Seems like it would be a great swap. Except the donor 27B30 were "parts only" and missing a few things so I can't do it. I did find the exact 28A00 body I needed on Ebay so I'm good now.

Do you need anything specific from this set of 87 I have?

Hey what do you do for clutches on your LE?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
javadog
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: I don't ride anything. Who has the time? Plus, everything I own is in pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey130 View Post
Do you need anything specific from this set of 87 I have?
No, thanks for the offer though. My set is freshly rebuilt with a Factory Pro jet kit installed, so I should be good to go.

Quote:
Hey what do you do for clutches on your LE?
A: I don't wear out the plates.

B: I don't have oil seals that leak oil onto the plates.

I used to keep extra spare plates (I probably had 5 or 6 at one point, along with several spare clutch assemblies and God know what else) but I have sold off all my spares in the last few years. Well, except for one complete NOS race clutch...

Anyway, if you need plates, most of the guys that own one of these bikes have spare plates stashed away. You might be able to buy a set from someone if you ask nicely. There used to be some aftermarket plates available but they were junk. Every 6 months, a new attempt is made to have them replicated somewhere, but that never gets traction.

If all else fails, try ordering them from a dealer. Last I checked, Suzuki still had some.

JR
Old 01-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
Huey130
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
No, thanks for the offer though. My set is freshly rebuilt with a Factory Pro jet kit installed, so I should be good to go.

A: I don't wear out the plates.

B: I don't have oil seals that leak oil onto the plates.

I used to keep extra spare plates (I probably had 5 or 6 at one point, along with several spare clutch assemblies and God know what else) but I have sold off all my spares in the last few years. Well, except for one complete NOS race clutch...

Anyway, if you need plates, most of the guys that own one of these bikes have spare plates stashed away. You might be able to buy a set from someone if you ask nicely. There used to be some aftermarket plates available but they were junk. Every 6 months, a new attempt is made to have them replicated somewhere, but that never gets traction.

If all else fails, try ordering them from a dealer. Last I checked, Suzuki still had some.

JR
If you had a price for that whole race set... what would it be.

My Suzuk guy said no go on the plates. There was maybe 1 steel and 1 "fiber". And that was looking through Lightspeed at what was on the shelf at other dealers.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
javadog
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
If you had a price for that whole race set... what would it be.
Not. For. Sale.

I need this for a restoration down the road. It's stupid expensive, as in more money than the last few oil-cooled bikes I've bought. And I'm not talking about worn out dogs...

Quote:
My Suzuk guy said no go on the plates. There was maybe 1 steel and 1 "fiber". And that was looking through Lightspeed at what was on the shelf at other dealers.
You might try looking outside the US.

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in