Gsxr k series clocks on slingshot (wiring info wanted) : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com
» Insurance
» Suzuki GSX-R Prices
» Sponsors
Go Back   Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com > Gixxer Forums > Oil Cooled Gixxers

Old 12-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
jarvis
Novice

Gsxr k series clocks on slingshot (wiring info wanted)

Anybody fitted a set of K series clocks to a slingshot, bandit or any of the oilcooled gsxr's?

I'm fitting a late Gsx750f motor and wiring loom which has the speed sensor on the output shaft and obviously my rev counter is already electronic, the question is, are they both speaking the same language?

Now I know some Yamaha clocks used the rev counter needle to show faults, eg if the tps failed the needle would drop to a pre determined point every 6 seconds when ever the engine was running (Dont know about you but that would kind of bug me after say about 18 seconds)

So my next question is what will happen on the dash when the diagnostic circuit doesn't get a signal from the dfi, cdi and the thousand and one other sensors fitted to modern engine management systems?

Now providing the rev counter and speedo work I'm not to concerned about a few fault codes on the LCD screen (if that's where they are shown), and if ness I would cut a carbon surround blanking out that part of the screen if it really started to annoy. But I do need to know they would work before laying out my hard earned.

Answers on a post card please

Last edited by jarvis; 12-20-2012 at 09:49 AM.
jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
jarvis
Novice

Re: Gsxr k series clocks on slingshot (wiring info wanted)

Right, I'm not saying this will work but I think I was over concerned re the role of the circuit built in the k's instrument panel, was worried it was going to be like cam-bus and have no chance of it working, well not in my hands.

Found an 07 k1000 workshop manual online and spent a few hours reading and checking the wiring diagram.

I havent listed all the wires, only what i need to get the speed, taco, neutral and oil lights
P = Gear position/ speed sensor (it said out from cpu so I would consider this input for the clock)
G/Y = Oil pressure
BR = Speed sensor +
B/W = Earth
BL/B = Neutral (although I couldn't find a switch on the diagram so wonder if this is somehow connected to the gear indicator)
O/G=Positive
Y/BL= Tach signal (from ecu on k but hope it can be wired directly to loom)

Any input on above greatly appreciated
Old 12-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
jarvis
Novice

Found this on Oz site,

Seems a fairly straight forward conversion, just a speedo healer required.

Only paid 50 for a set of k1 600 clocks so even with 80ish for a V4 healer its still cheaper than some of the upper range aftermarket speedo/tach units.
Factory build quality too.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55534169,d.d2k

The fault codes will be permanently displayed and for now I'm going to make some sort of carbon face panel that blanks that part of the dash. I have found some computer engineers online who are writing software that, when connected (via dongle) to the tech wire, will switch the faults off.

Last edited by jarvis; 12-24-2012 at 05:06 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
gotgixers
Superbike Racer

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR 7/12

Well, I had a set of '03 gsxr 750 clocks on my '86 with an '04 B-12 engine and full '04 B-12 harness/ECM in it. I did all the conversion wiring and it worked great, I was able to get all the idicator lights to work as factory. It all worked great, just have to live with the little FI light staying on. But i ended up going back to my VR2, because I just love the fuel gauge, and the fact I can use it on 4 diff bikes.

update,... I forgot, I didn't have the FI light on, yo don't have to hook any of that nonsence up for the gauge package to work, just the iol light circuit has to be hooked up. and here is a couple pics ... the last one is when I was still figuring out the wiring, it's a mess still in that pick ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG01889.jpg (130.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG01890.jpg (150.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG01891.jpg (72.9 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by gotgixers; 12-24-2012 at 05:38 AM.
gotgixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
jarvis
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgixers View Post
Well, I had a set of '03 gsxr 750 clocks on my '86 with an '04 B-12 engine and full '04 B-12 harness/ECM in it. I did all the conversion wiring and it worked great, I was able to get all the idicator lights to work as factory. It all worked great, just have to live with the little FI light staying on. But i ended up going back to my VR2, because I just love the fuel gauge, and the fact I can use it on 4 diff bikes.

update,... I forgot, I didn't have the FI light on, yo don't have to hook any of that nonsence up for the gauge package to work, just the iol light circuit has to be hooked up. and here is a couple pics ... the last one is when I was still figuring out the wiring, it's a mess still in that pick ...
I'm only planning to have tach, speed, oil and neutral, wont need the rest (day time only mot)

I've just got my hands on a 05 Gsx750F which has same speed sensor as b12, was the speedo out by far and if so did you use a healer?
Old 12-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
gotgixers
Superbike Racer

yes, it was out quite a bit, so I just used a speedo healer. And the B-12 pickup worked with the '03 750 gauge pkg also. I just used a SH for the '04 B-12.

I got the tach,speedo,odo, trip odo, oil,turns,hi-beam,and neutral indicators all to work on this set up.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
jarvis
Novice

Thanks
Have a good xmas
Old 12-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
gotgixers
Superbike Racer

U 2 ...
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
dutchz
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: '74 Kawasaki Z1, '86 GSXR750 & 7/12 projects

I have a 01 GSXR 1000 gauge on my 86 with B12 motor and 86 CDI. everything works except temp gauge (for wc bike), fuel gauge (disconnected) and no modern ecu used so it throws the "chec" code like gotgixers'. No irritating warning lights though - fuel light may need to be addressed if it blinks.
Tach, speed, oil and neutral should be straight forward. There's probably a switched positive to ignition and a hardwired one to battery (very low draw) for odo/trip memory/clock. K1 gauge does not have gear counter so don't know how that works. I have all the colors for the 86 harness to corresponding K1 gauge side somewhere at the shop, let me know if you need them.

http://youtu.be/dsuKaOIMhZY
dutchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
jarvis
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchz View Post
I have a 01 GSXR 1000 gauge on my 86 with B12 motor and 86 CDI. everything works except temp gauge (for wc bike), fuel gauge (disconnected) and no modern ecu used so it throws the "chec" code like gotgixers'. No irritating warning lights though - fuel light may need to be addressed if it blinks.
Tach, speed, oil and neutral should be straight forward. There's probably a switched positive to ignition and a hardwired one to battery (very low draw) for odo/trip memory/clock. K1 gauge does not have gear counter so don't know how that works. I have all the colors for the 86 harness to corresponding K1 gauge side somewhere at the shop, let me know if you need them.

http://youtu.be/dsuKaOIMhZY
Any details would be welcome bud, sooner have to discard than not have enough in first place.
As I said in a previous post there may be a way of switching off those fault codes via a program sending signals down the tech wire. They've written a program that works, just trying to get it to work from a dongle at the moment (just not practical to run around with a laptop on the tank)
If and when they manage it I'll post a link on here.
Thanks
Jarvis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement